Hammer 4

Driving Range Closed

Note: This thread is 912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

During the very high winds we had a few weeks ago, actually broke the wooded 50' poles that held the safety nets up, total devastation, it looked like a hurricane hit the place..Why they used all wood is kinda foolish, metal holds up much better, but then we don't get 65 mph winds that often. Now, I have to drive 12 miles to next nearest range..meh. Once we get our new pup trained, I'll be playing more and driving less. Did any other range, or course suffer major damage in So. Cali..?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

12 minutes ago, Hammer 4 said:

During the very high winds we had a few weeks ago, actually broke the wooded 50' poles that held the safety nets up, total devastation, it looked like a hurricane hit the place..Why they used all wood is kinda foolish, metal holds up much better, but then we don't get 65 mph winds that often. Now, I have to drive 12 miles to next nearest range..meh. Once we get our new pup trained, I'll be playing more and driving less. Did any other range, or course suffer major damage in So. Cali..?

We had the same thing happen at Altadena golf course a couple years back. They still kept the range open, but limited us to hitting 150 yard clubs or less. Now, they have tall steel poles on the corners and replaced the smaller ones with new wooden ones.

The winds were not that strong this time around for us.

They were for us..The poles by the way are, or were the size of telephone poles, and they broke off about 10-12' above ground, iirc, there were 8 of them and all 8 broke. 

1 hour ago, Hammer 4 said:

Did any other range, or course suffer major damage in So. Cali..?

Yeah, did you not see the end of the Farmers Insurance Open on that Monday?  Several Eucalyptus trees were toppled across the course, including one right across a fairway that they had to spend hours chopping up before they could restart play, and they didn't allow fans on the course at all that day because of the lingering danger.

We had those same high winds. Only damage I saw was in my own game. :-P

Nope, did not see the Farmers..On a side note. At the range tonight, there was a boy and his dad hitting balls, got to talking with the Dad, he shows me this vid on his phone of Bubba giving his Son his golf ball..yes, it was on TV..he also got a  signed pic with Bubba and the Dad..Pretty cool I thought, and so did his Dad. :-D

About 10 years ago or so a hurricane came through Pinellas county and snapped the metal poles across from where I work.  The range had to close.

I don't think they removed the nets prior to the storm.  I had heard that the nets caused enough resistance to topple the poles.  The poles looked like the same as those that replace the wooden telephone poles.

Note: This thread is 912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!