IGNORED

CBS golf coverage ripped

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I agree with you, but if you look at Sunday's leaderboard, a lot of guys who didn't get any airtime had good rounds. Kuchar, Laird, Martin, Hadwin, List (he's a bomber, show him), Appleby and some lesser known players broke 70. I think showing a wider variety of players makes for a more interesting telecast..

Good point.  I actually texted yesterday (while he was on his last couple of holes) that it was odd that somebody as big as Kuchar was in the top 10 yet didn't get any airtime.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I think these guys don't have to do much to keep their stranglehold on the telecast, so they don't do much to innovate. The fact that one of the announcers said Watson's apex was as high as he hits it when it isn't according to PGA stats makes me think they don't do much to prepare, asides from the fact that they repeat a lot of what they say over and over again.

Like they're going through the motions, huh?  I feel like we could write a "Mad-Libs" style script for them and it wouldn't be any worse.  All they have to do is make sure they hit their quota of "kikuya" and "gum tree" mentions when they're at Riviera and they're good to go.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Good point.  I actually texted yesterday (while he was on his last couple of holes) that it was odd that somebody as big as Kuchar was in the top 10 yet didn't get any airtime.

Like they're going through the motions, huh?  I feel like we could write a "Mad-Libs" style script for them and it wouldn't be any worse.  All they have to do is make sure they hit their quota of "kikuya" and "gum tree" mentions when they're at Riviera and they're good to go.

Barranca. Barranca barranca barranca barranca barranca.

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I was watching a tournament on TV the other day, and Johnny Miller and Dan Hicks spent about 15 minutes interviewing Michael Phelps about swimming.   The didn't show a single shot during that time.   It went on and on and on.    I could not believe it. 

44 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Barranca. Barranca barranca barranca barranca barranca.

'Tis the season for incessant talk of barrancas and billabongs. It's every friggen year with this stuff.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Protracer on every shot would be great.  But if not on every shot, why can't they freaking "zoom in on the ball" from the back as it is hit.  For example on the tee where the majority of the shots are from down the line, after the player hits the ball, they can absolutely zoom in on the ball as it is traveling towards the fairway from behind the ball vs. the BS white ball in blue sky shot that always happens.  Zooming in behind the ball as it is moving away from the golfer creates WAY more perspective and is a much more realistic way of watching what is happening.  I believe they do this a lot on #18 of the Players Championship and it is great.  Things like this would do wonders to improve the telecast along with all of the others points in the article which I wholeheartedly agree with.

The coverage is asinine in all aspects and they are dreaming if they think they produce a good product on TV for lovers of the game.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

4 minutes ago, Deryck Griffith said:

Protracer on every shot would be great.  But if not on every shot, why can't they freaking "zoom in on the ball" from the back as it is hit.  For example on the tee where the majority of the shots are from down the line, after the player hits the ball, they can absolutely zoom in on the ball as it is traveling towards the fairway from behind the ball vs. the BS white ball in blue sky shot that always happens.  Zooming in behind the ball as it is moving away from the golfer creates WAY more perspective and is a much more realistic way of watching what is happening.  I believe they do this a lot on #18 of the Players Championship and it is great.  Things like this would do wonders to improve the telecast along with all of the others points in the article which I wholeheartedly agree with.

The coverage is asinine in all aspects and they are dreaming if they think they produce a good product on TV for lovers of the game.

I agree.   White dot against blue sky is is not exactly informative.   All it tells me is that he managed to get his shot in the air. 

:-D

cbs.thumb.png.523698ad6fc83bcf21d34e0a77

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Scotsclaff said:

Protracer is a nice little addition but I'd still rather see the ball.

I prefer to see the ProTracer. The ball looks the same every time. They cut to the ball when it lands and rolls out, too, so you get both.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How hard is it to get ProTracer? If it's a relatively inexpensive technology, I can't see why they wouldn't put it on more holes. It's freaking awesome.

Colin P.

9 hours ago, Scotsclaff said:

Protracer is a nice little addition but I'd still rather see the ball.

Awful golf coverage.

But why?  When they show the ball where you can actually see it, it's just against sky as the background with no perspective at all until you see it land.

Yesteday for example.  When they were showing tee shots on 17, they kept the camera from behind the golfer on the ball  the whole time, but to see the ball for most of the flight they had to zoom in far enough that you lost the view of the ground.  I also prefer the Tracer.

Although I will say one shot that I find really cool when they show it is the blimp view of a shot from start to finish.  That one is neat.

At one time I thought CBS had far and away the best coverage (1990s...). Now I think they are the worst. 

Its hard to make everyone happy....to some degree they have to pay the sponsors with commercial time, and the focus on the stars is also probably dictated by sponsors as well, at least to some degree.

My gripe is that they simply try too hard. They talk too much, use too much hyperbole, try too hard to be hip and funny. The European Tour broadcasts with Laidlaw and Co. are so much more pleasant to listen to. 

In music, you are taught never to play three notes when two will do....leaving some "space" makes things better. I think this could apply to golf broadcasting. Just shut up, at least a little. Don't comment on and analyze _everything._ give the viewer the space to experience the action on his own from time to time. It spoils the moment when the commentary comes in too quick or draws attention to itself.  

McCord needs to go as wel....sorry his time is over. He isn't funny anymore, his shtick is tired and stale. Get someone new in there. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Regarding Protracer:  Morning Drive yesterday used it on the range.  They showed Koepka hitting some little wedges, hard to tell but maybe 70 or 80 yards.  Cool thing about it was you could actually see the ball itself throughout the entire flight while Protracer tailed behind.  Never had seen that before and it was really a neat feature.

Not sure if it was the angle of the camera shot, the blue sky or that the shots were very short, probably a combination of the 3, but if they could dial that in a little more it would be awesome.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!