Sign in to follow this  
ILLZ

Buying a new driver

Note: This thread is 4512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 posts / 1786 viewsLast Reply

I'm getting a new driver at a local golf expo next weekend. I'm hoping on a Taylor Made but who knows what will be there. My main question is I don't know what degree loft and shaft is best suited for my game. I'm about an 18 handicap and I'm a relatively short hitter. A great drive is about 260 and a great 6 iron is about 155. Thanks in advance for any input!

I'm getting a new driver at a local golf expo next weekend. I'm hoping on a Taylor Made but who knows what will be there. My main question is I don't know what degree loft and shaft is best suited for my game. I'm about an 18 handicap and I'm a relatively short hitter. A great drive is about 260 and a great 6 iron is about 155. Thanks in advance for any input!

Well, my suggestion is not to buy a driver unless they have the one you want. If you want TM and they don't have it there, and you buy a Nike just because, you might not like it. On the other hand, if you like the Nike driver, go for it!

That having been said, see if you can find out if they have a launch monitor there. I'd be surprised if they didn't. They can probably fit you to flex and loft very easily there; they might even be able to determine which ball will have the flight characteristics you want.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can we have some specs please? Like: Swing speed, average mishit, ball flight . these are some things that they are going to ask you if they don't have a launch monitor Lucky you.

Sounds like me...

I play a 10.5* driver with a Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue shaft... supposedly it's supposed to help me get the ball up in the air... I "thought" it was working because my drives have been much better than before. However, I recently demoed an FT-i Tour w/ 9.5* loft and the drives were almost identical. I hit about 60 drives on the range with each club and I'd say my shot pattern was the same with each club. The trajectory with the 9.5 was lower, but distance wise, they were quite similiar.

if you have the option, get fit outdoors with a launch monitor. There's no substitute for outdoor fittings and being able to see true ball flight combined with hard numbers.

I dont know how many times we've received complaints from golfers that were fit indoors only to say they cant hit the ball like they did indoors, into the simulator, etc.

If you're looking for a new driver, dont just be locked into one brand, etc. You should be able to try a number of different drivers to determine which one is ultimately the best for you (shaft, loft, head, length, flex, etc.).

Good luck

if you have the option, get fit outdoors with a launch monitor. There's no substitute for outdoor fittings and being able to see true ball flight combined with hard numbers.

I absolutely agree! However, I WILL admit that I'm being a hypocrite here. I've gotten hung up on TM as a brand, and I won't talk about my approach to selecting a driver! But fortunately I am VERY happy with my SuperQuad. That club will never leave my bag.

I used an indoor launch monitor to replace a shaft on my last driver. It was a successful experience, but I'm sure it didn't do nearly as much for me as it would have if it were outdoors. Most people like to visualize a shot. They at least like to visualize it after they've hit it! It's hard to imagine the shot from looking at the monitor. Outside, you can take a few swings to work on warming up and correcting any miss-hits, after you see what your shots are looking like. Then you'll see how the new club compares to what you've been doing. Also, seeing is believing. The golfer's addiction comes from seeing that beautiful, straight and long shot. I think you'd want to see what happens to the ball before you buy.

Sounds like me...

My last driver was a 9.5° and I got refitted for a shaft because I didn't like how high I was hitting it. I ended up with the Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue, which I definitely didn't expect, given I was trying to get the shot lower. However, the spin pattern on the ball was different. I did get a bit more distance because I stopped the "balooning" pattern. I should also say that my home club has some (one in particular) long carries. I figured it was better to keep the ball up in the air longer rather than expecting it to roll a lot. What's the point in hitting it low into the side of the quarry wall when carrying it gets me in birdy position?

Wow... I didn't think there would be any kind of simulators or other stuff at this thing... I imagined a large amount of local shops/pros trying to sell off the last of their '07 stock. Just boxes of clubs and quickly set up displays.

Judging by how far you hit the ball, my advice would be to get a driver with 10 or 10.5 degrees of loft with a regular flex shaft. This combination will give you a fairly high ball flight and will help you maximise your distance.

You can have your swing checked at any golf store and they will recommend the proper loft and shaft flex for you.

They might say with your swing speed and ball flight that they recommend a 10.5 degree loft with a regular flex shaft. but who knows until you get checked out.

I would try to hit balls from both the simulator and the driving range if possible.

The driver you pick will be what looks good to you and feels right and of course you hit consistently long and straight.

It sounds like you hit the ball about like me, I just bought a TM R7 (460cc)draw with a a regular shaft and a 10.5 degree loft. From the very first hit it has been wonderful. I got it on the internet (new) for about $160 including shipping. I hit the ball straight unless I get absent minded and tired an then will let a fade slip in - this club helps prevent that from getting out of hand.

I also bought a new TM R7 Superquad (460cc, same shaft and loft) and my distance is almost exactly the same. However, it is adjustable and I have it set up for a lower trajectory. I got it own the internet for about $270, but then you will need the weight kit which will cost you another $90 or so.

I liked the TM R7s so much I bought the R7 Titanium fairway woods (3,5 & 7) and they are unbelievealy great. I pulled my 1-5 irons out of my bag after I got these.

I saw on Brightcove some video clips of Today's Golfer that they are competing one driver against another. 3 persons of varying handicaps (high, mid and low) are asked to try out various drivers and give their comments. On these videos Ping G10 nosed out Taylormade Burner and will get into the "finals" with the Mizuno MP600 driver, to "compete" with the winner of the new calloway driver and the Cobra driver (results known this friday).

Their inputs may give you an idea, but going for a launch monitor and actual tests still is the best option to know whats best for you.

Note: This thread is 4512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!