IGNORED

Preferred Golf Time

Austin_Sachs
Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Austin_Sachs said:

This questions always baffles me, as I work at a golf course, what time do you prefer to play? It seems that people are always playing mid-afternoon when the rates are the highest and out mornings seem to always be the quietest, but there are days where it is flipped. I prefer playing the in the morning mainly because the rounds are faster and its cooler. Just wanted to see everyone's preferred time because I feel like people would prefer mornings, but they seemingly don't.

Pro - I like mornings because the course is less busy and it's cooler.  Con - I dislike mornings because the fairways are still damp and I get less ball roll

Con - I dislike afternoons because the course is busier and it's warmer than I prefer.  Pro - I like afternoons because the fairways are drier and I get more ball roll

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For a full 18, I'd generally choose to play as the 5th-10th group of the day.Those are ideal times for quick play, without having to feel the pressure of setting the pace. At my local munis, you typically start to see tee time delays and tee box waits after about 8am. 

For a 9 hole round or just random practice rounds, I enjoy playing in the late afternoon. The courses tend to be much quieter and more peaceful at that time. 

11:00 am or take the twilight special during the week.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I go for the first tee time of the day or as close as I can get to it. I like to play fast and it gets so damn hot here in the summer it is nearly unbearable. 

Around here, mornings are generally busier and more expensive. I also like get a bit of extra sleep on my off days, so its afternoon for me. 1-2 p.m. is generally what I try for.

For me, it depends a lot on the time of year. If all else is the same (weather conditions), I prefer to go early so it's not busy. However, since it's peaking in the mid-50s right now, those early-morning starts are sub-40, and while it's not bad, I just don't prefer that kind of temperature.

When my cousin and I play in the summer, we'll go right at opening (7-8 AM) with it about mid-50s to play. Time of day matters to me much less than how busy the course is, which does seem to be mid-day. Some probably don't want to get up that early, or they have early things to do or whatever. Midday means your group is all probably awake and ready to go. Trying to set up for 8 AM and having Joe sleep in sucks, but you don't have that issue if you plan for 2 PM.

This thread should have a poll...it'd be interesting to see the distribution.

All things being equal, I generally try to get a 7am tee time...and I'll go earlier before I go later.  I like playing early, coming home for a nap, and then still having plenty of daylight left.

Most of my afternoon play is "spur of the moment"...a day when I wasn't going to play, but my wife goes out with friends or something so I just head out.

- John

I used to like to be the first out at 6:30 am, but now I always play twilight (2pm in the winter).  It's cheaper at twilight.  3pm in the summer.  Get's a might toasty here, but that's when I ride in a cart.  I can haul more beer to keep hydrated.  Safety first.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

For many years I played at 7:00 a.m. or earlier...as early as 5:30 if daylight permitted. Now that I'm retired, we'll play between 8:00 to 8:30, and we're just about always done by noon.  

My favorite is probably like 10ish, but there's a certain charm to dew-sweeping and twilight rounds.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:55 PM, Austin_Sachs said:

This questions always baffles me, as I work at a golf course, what time do you prefer to play? It seems that people are always playing mid-afternoon when the rates are the highest and out mornings seem to always be the quietest, but there are days where it is flipped. I prefer playing the in the morning mainly because the rounds are faster and its cooler. Just wanted to see everyone's preferred time because I feel like people would prefer mornings, but they seemingly don't.

This threw me for a loop as I am so used to the mornings being more crowded an expensive. I am only a few hours right of Harrisburg in the Philly burbs and it is the complete opposite of what you describe.

If I am playing on a weekday I prefer an afternoon tee-time so I only have to burn a half day off from work rather than use a full PTO day. On the weekends I prefer the afternoon because the courses are so expensive in the morning. If I am trying to get 9 in before work then I want to tee off as the sun is coming up.

I like to go out as early as possible.  I will wait for a later time during the spring and fall when there is more dew on the grass early.  I also time it around when it has last rained and the weather forecast.  The earlier you start the more golf you can play. :)  On work days, the morning is not an option so I book a tee time for around 5pm.  

Edited by choppineapple
Added more info

Driver: Nike SasQuatch 460 Tour Graphite
Irons: Titleist CB 712 Dynamic Gold
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX Black Pearl Steel Wedge 50° and 54°, Cleveland 588 RTG 60°
Putter: Nike Method Matter M4-12

in my quest for golf deals ... I usually play around 12:30 PM on weekends (that's where I see the hot deals) - I'm guessing that's when guys with families can't get away ... works for me.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Morning at my club is the most crowded and I have developed a preference for an early afternoon tee time.   I take a cart for 18 holes so with plenty of H2O the heat is not a problem.  Since I play only 25-30 rounds season it gives me time for a 30-45 minute practice session, a leisurely lunch, followed by a warm up of 20-30 balls before teeing off.  This typically gets me home just in time for a scotch and a cigar as we prepare for dinner.  Keep in mind we are empty nesters and I use to take morning tee times to be available for activities with the family in the afternoon. 

Am currently only playing weekends so I would prefer as early a start as possible.  Generally tends to be 7 am or so, if I can manage that.  It means having to wake up extra early, especially since I only get home from work at 2 am (I work 4 pm to 2 am) but I prefer that to walking in the hot afternoon sun and also means I have at least half the day available for wifey.  Currently only play one day a week so that leaves one and a half day weekend for whatever we need to do at home since nothing gets done on weekdays.

The advantages of an early start are the lesser heat, time available in the day to do other things, a more empty course and if you are an early starter no-one holding you up

Edited by pganapathy

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!