IGNORED

Golfing With Strangers-The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Gator Hazard
Note: This thread is 2572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 hours ago, Yukari said:

I am surprised you put up with that for that long.

Usually I ask them if they believe in evolution and debate them on a topic they don't like. But that's just me I guess. 

Personally I don't think it's proper to discuss religion, evolution, or politics with another golfer that you just met and paired up with for a round of golf. I would rather enjoy the round of golfing and leave divisive topics out of it which tend to take away from the enjoyment of golf.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, 9wood said:

Personally I don't think it's proper to discuss religion, evolution, or politics with another golfer that you just met and paired up with for a round of golf. I would rather enjoy the round of golfing and leave divisive topics out of it which tend to take away from the enjoyment of golf.

Perhaps you didn't read my post properly. I don't start such a topic but if someone else does, I think it's an open season IMHO. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

4 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Perhaps you didn't read my post properly. I don't start such a topic but if someone else does, I think it's an open season IMHO. 

I read your post correctly. He brought up the controversial topic of religion as a topic and you countered him with the controversial topic of evolution. 

If it were me, I would have simply told him I don't discuss such controversial topics while I'm trying to enjoy a round of golf. Not counter his topic with another one just as controversial.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I read your post correctly. He brought up the controversial topic of religion as a topic and you countered him with the controversial topic of evolution. 

If it were me, I would have simply told him I don't discuss such controversial topics while I'm trying to enjoy a round of golf. Not counter his topic with another one just as controversial.

So let's not discuss it here then?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Some of you guys seem to golf very differently than we do around here. I can't ever remember getting into a religious or political discussion on a golf course. We generally stick to golf or the weather, particularly if it's been nice since that can be scarcity here.

When I read the topic title my mind went to this instance. I booked a time on Golfnow for a very nice local course. It was the "Super Saver" slot of the day, and two spots had already been booked. I booked one of the remaining two times and introduced myself to the other guys on the first tee. They were from the Pittsburgh area and nice guys, but the one guy was absolutely ginormous! Not exactly Andre the Giant, but he was a shade over 6 feet and well in excess of 300lbs! Maybe approaching 400! Just an enormous blob of a dude! I was wondering what sort of golf game he could possibly have.

I also noticed that they were playing the set of tees one longer than I normally play, but I was up for a challenge. The first hole is a slight dogleg right, a par 4 close to 400 yards, with a lake down most of the right side. Ginormous Dude jumps out of his socks and flares his drive into the lake! Lovely! His buddy tosses him a ball and says, "Hit another one, you're better than that!" Great! We're going to be "tin cupping" it all day! Ginormous Dude hits another drive, and if he'd been a few feet to the right would have driven the green! On a hole about 390 yards!

Both these guys had nice games, but Ginormous Dude just slaughtered the ball! He also had a nice short game and great touch around and on the green. Just another lesson in not judging books by their covers!

• Upvote 2

On 3/18/2016 at 7:01 PM, Lihu said:

I've never had this happen to me, do you wear T shirts with "I love Sanders" embossed on them? Or do you mutter "Trump's a dimwit" under your breath every time you miss a shot? :-D

This is very strange, I've paired up with people all over world with something north of 400 different people and never once had this same experience?

They are usually very polite and often friendly, even if not on the first hole, usually by the third or so. This seems to happen even if no one talks for the first few holes.

Oddly enough, I am super easy going. I am tolerant to views opinions and what ever lifestyle you got going.
I leave religion and politics at home.
But for some reason I find these people!
Correction, they find me. They must seek me out. There must be a room full of the most annoying golfers ever, just waiting for me to walk onto the the 1st tee.
I have never paired up with a stranger and made a life long friend. 
Yet somehow, lets say 2-5 outings I get the guy who wants to fix the world with his opinions.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

11 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Oddly enough, I am super easy going. I am tolerant to views opinions and what ever lifestyle you got going.
I leave religion and politics at home.
But for some reason I find these people!
Correction, they find me. They must seek me out. There must be a room full of the most annoying golfers ever, just waiting for me to walk onto the the 1st tee.
I have never paired up with a stranger and made a life long friend. 
Yet somehow, lets say 2-5 outings I get the guy who wants to fix the world with his opinions.

You need to focus on PoP, then there won't be too much time for this. Interrupt frequently with statements like "You can hit now." Or "Can I take my shot?" etc.

Play fast, talk/listen less. . . :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have never paired up with anyone who has ever brought up the topic of either religion or politics during a round of golf nor have I ever heard anyone else in my neck of the woods ever doing so either. 

The topics that normally come up in my golf outings is anything golf related, vacations or what part of Florida we will spend winter. 

After the round is over, various topics arise at the 19th hole, but certain topics seem naturally off limits during the actual round of golf.

Years ago I got paired with a guy that was a lobbyist for the NEA (National Education Association) in Washington DC.  He was obnoxious.  I forget exactly what he was pontificating about, but when he started to rail on the NRA, I had to let him have it.  I'm an NRA and GOA member.  My idea of wall art is a gun rack.  I told I had a concealed permit and had a gun in my golf bag.  I didn't.  I just wanted to watch him explode.  And he did.   I started laughing at him and told him the NEA was as worthless as t!ts on a boar hog.  They are.  He just walked off the course yelling obscenities. 

He got me riled.

I don't talk politics or religion either.  Nothing I say is ever going to change anyone's mind on either subject.  So why bother.  But if they start it, I can finish it.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Dang politics and religion, things I am highly resistant to bring out in a bar or on a golf course. This thread makes me incredibly glad over the so many rounds we have been able to golf alone or the many great pairings we have had over the years. 

Two stories, one with strangers, one of my own undoing.

wife and I decided to golf on Maui and the course was full so we got paired off. Our partners were two gentlemen but one had a medical or some condition, ( not turrets. I think) where he would give a loud ack every once in a while, teeing off or putting mid stroke "AAAACCCKKK" first time I thought he said something so I said 'pardon me'. Every time he would just look away and not say anything.  On the cart to next hole, we would laugh, 'is that dood messing with my shot?' Otherwise we got along fine but a few shots required a bit more concentration.

second one: we had a fun after work bar like cheers, and every year we had a golf tourney, and it was good fun. I played regularly with a few of guys, and gals, then one guy invites me to fill a 4 some and I accepted. This dood played angry, from the first hole and thru all 18, he would cus and yell at his game, ball, and wife(our friend). I never played with that guy again, I received invitations but always said no. 

But after the multiple dozens of people we have been paired with, they have overwhelmingly been enjoyable company. It's a good game.

Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

7 hours ago, vangator said:

Years ago I got paired with a guy that was a lobbyist for the NEA (National Education Association) in Washington DC.  He was obnoxious.  I forget exactly what he was pontificating about, but when he started to rail on the NRA, I had to let him have it.  I'm an NRA and GOA member.  My idea of wall art is a gun rack.  I told I had a concealed permit and had a gun in my golf bag.  I didn't.  I just wanted to watch him explode.  And he did.   I started laughing at him and told him the NEA was as worthless as t!ts on a boar hog.  They are.  He just walked off the course yelling obscenities. 

He got me riled.

I don't talk politics or religion either.  Nothing I say is ever going to change anyone's mind on either subject.  So why bother.  But if they start it, I can finish it.

It is one thing for him to be an obnoxious jerk. But for you to reciprocate in the same manner is just as bad, including lying about a concealed weapon. I'm glad I wasn't in your group. There are polite ways to ask someone not to talk about stuff. You did it the wrong way.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I never had politics or religion come up.  Those are subjects that typically require a lot of discussion and there's just not that much time (especially riding in a cart) to discuss them properly.  Whenever I've been paired up with strangers the conversations are usually about golf, local courses, out of state courses and new golf clubs.  The most personal it gets is maybe some details about their job, family life and retirement plans, etc.  

Religion almost never comes up, even away from the golf course.   

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It is one thing for him to be an obnoxious jerk. But for you to reciprocate in the same manner is just as bad, including lying about a concealed weapon. I'm glad I wasn't in your group. There are polite ways to ask someone not to talk about stuff. You did it the wrong way.

Had to be there.  Normally, I just ignore stuff like that, but Finally on the 5th hole I countered.  Not sure if he lasted to number nine or not.  Long time ago.

Not sure now if I told him I had a concealed weapon in my bag or that I would be fine with that.  Probably the later.  Not too worried about someone shooting me on the golf course.  There are stories of thugs hitting on golfers on the course however.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

11 hours ago, iSank said:

This dood played angry, from the first hole and thru all 18, he would cus and yell at his game, ball,

I have played with this guy!!!
My buddy hooked us up with a guy who he had known for 30 year but never played with before.

Angry guy (cant remember his name) acted like his game skill was scratch and his was playing sunday at the masters.

he was probably a 12 handicap and we were at a blue collar muni!
Angry guy missed a 4ft putt for birdie and stormed off the green to the next tee swearing and screaming.
My buddy walked off after 9.
I had used a vacation day and was not going to forfeit the other half of the greens fee so I ordered a few beers and finished the road.

It was the angriest 85 I have ever seen someone shoot!
Never played with him again!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

13 hours ago, vangator said:

He got me riled.

I would have  been one of the two other dumbfounded partners in your group. :-P

Something like this happened, but as far as I know it was not about politics or anything. Two of our playing partners really didn't get along. Eventually both of them went off, one was in a huff and the other one fizzled out after another hole. Me and the other puzzled golfer ended up joining a 3 some in front.Very strange. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9 hours ago, Elmer said:

I have played with this guy!!!
My buddy hooked us up with a guy who he had known for 30 year but never played with before.

Angry guy (cant remember his name) acted like his game skill was scratch and his was playing sunday at the masters.

he was probably a 12 handicap and we were at a blue collar muni!
Angry guy missed a 4ft putt for birdie and stormed off the green to the next tee swearing and screaming.
My buddy walked off after 9.
I had used a vacation day and was not going to forfeit the other half of the greens fee so I ordered a few beers and finished the road.

It was the angriest 85 I have ever seen someone shoot!
Never played with him again!

The angry guy gets around, avoid at all costs.

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

On 2/27/2016 at 9:36 PM, vangator said:

I know it sounds strange d=but that's what they said.  I believe some strict religious sects like the Mennonites have similar arrangements with their women, so I took it at face value.  Maybe we have southern Jehovahs (like southern Baptists).

We have both Mennonites and Amish around here. As for the Amish, you can mark both the men and women out immediately due to their dress. Not so Mennonites. Very near my friend's house is a Mennonite "convenience store" that makes the most delicious toasted subs, and has an incredible selection of home made jams, jellies, and condiments. Also nearby is a Mennonite farm market. In both cases the Mennonite women dress like Amish women with the long dresses, aprons, and bonnets. Mennonite men, however, you couldn't tell from anyone else in a lineup. They dress like everyone else, and don't wear long hair, beards, or straw hats.

They do, however, have a slightly different manner of speech. But, you have to listen closely or you'll miss it.

20 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

We have both Mennonites and Amish around here. As for the Amish, you can mark both the men and women out immediately due to their dress. Not so Mennonites. Very near my friend's house is a Mennonite "convenience store" that makes the most delicious toasted subs, and has an incredible selection of home made jams, jellies, and condiments. Also nearby is a Mennonite farm market. In both cases the Mennonite women dress like Amish women with the long dresses, aprons, and bonnets. Mennonite men, however, you couldn't tell from anyone else in a lineup. They dress like everyone else, and don't wear long hair, beards, or straw hats.

They do, however, have a slightly different manner of speech. But, you have to listen closely or you'll miss it.

I knew there was a difference, but it's been a long time since I lived around that part of the woods.  I'm from Jamestown, NY, which is only about 40 miles NE of Erie PA.  I think there was more Amish where I lived.

Note: This thread is 2572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!