IGNORED

Golfing With Strangers-The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Gator Hazard
Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know we have plenty of stories that find their ways to the forum about being paired or electing to pair up with strangers on a golf course but no thread seems to be dedicated to it.  Throw some stories in here where you were paired up or took it upon yourself to pair up.  I will get it started but let's hear them all:

My golf partner is going to be unable to play for a few weeks and that means I am either going to have to play by myself or Golf With Strangers.  Last weekend he was out of town and I went out as a single in the afternoon.  The course was wide open for the first 9 holes and I breezed through them, posting a decent score for myself and really enjoying playing by myself and focusing on not doing anything stupid to try and save strokes, just take my medicine and play smart golf choices (was working out okay).  On the back nine I ran into a traffic jam on the second hole (11th total but they started me on back nine so it was really #2).  Four guys were waiting to tee off when I pulled up and there was a foursome on the green and a twosome in the fairway.  They explained and then ultimately teed off, no biggie I understand, and apparently it was backlogged so couldn't just skip a few.  As they are out in the fairway doing their thing a twosome pulls up, I will call them Sgt. Murtaugh and Riggs  Napoleon's Foul Mouth.  I greet them and explain the scenario as the guys in front of me had, and then mentioned that if they wanted too we could play together as it would probably help pace of play.  I explain how miserable of a golfer I am, and prepare them for the hideousness of my game.  They are probably early fifties fellas, and they say "hey, we are just here having some fun and hitting some balls, lets do it (paraphrasing)".  So, walking up to the tee to tee off, Napoleon's Foul Mouth (NFM) decides to break the ice by asking if I have ever played golf with a black guy.  Because, nothing breaks the ice better than asking another white guy in his 40s basically if he has ever seen or hung out with someone of another race.  I play along and say of course so, once, back in Chicago.  NFM tees off decently, says some stuff and walks away.  Riggs tees off and puts it into a tree and into the water.  I do the same play a provisional and put it on other side.  We are off and rolling.....

NFM is on the green in three and begins to drop f bombs for missing a putt.  No biggie, I like a guy who isn't too much of a tightwad.  Riggs and I are doing our thing.  Next tee is a par three with water on LHS, Riggs dribbles one out about 15 yards not once but twice (I like this guy, he makes me feel good, no, really) he makes it on with next shot from where he landed one of the two tee shots.  NFM fades a little too much and is RHS and past green.  I put mine left hand side and short of green.  NFM three putts and drops an f bomb and more self deprecating insults.  On and on it goes, and he is in general a good dude but takes his game way too seriously.  He has many stories about awesomeness but you never really see it; you definitely hear a cornucopia of swearing, and you would think he was a high school football coach trying to motivate some crappy players, complete with spittle and dip spit flying, all that good stuff.  On the last few holes (they actually started on 1 so they have a lot of golf ahead of them), NFM starts to make some snark comments.  Says he hasn't been hitting the ball well (we know that) and all that.  He puts his drive out on 8 and makes some foul languaged assertions about it being a good one.  I think, ya know, I can hit it farther than that, so I try and hit it farther, and do, by about 10 yards, I really just wanted to play it longer than him as a way to poke fun at him as I had said I am a horrible player, and he thinks he is a good player.  The green is a big slope from back to front, and NFM as per usual once we get to the green is full of his best language.  Whatever, last hole and am out of here, has not been a good back nine for me but still enjoyable.

#9 at Northdale, although I am sure not the hardest in the land is no gimme par 5.  You walk accross a bridge over a spring that winds out and around onto the right hand side of fairway.  It is 497 yards from the white tees, but there is a moat in front of the green where the spring wraps back around, its ten yards to carry the moat and you need to land it not too long.  You have to choose to go for it on your second shot if you clobbered your drive and can play a great 3 wood and find a way to keep it from rolling off the back into a wooded area where you will never see your ball again.  Most people lay up and try to get on in 3.  NFM says that he has birdied this hole many times and had an eagle opportunity once.  You tee off over that spring running through a 15-20 foot ravine and basically blind on a fairway that bends to the right.  Its a blind tee shot unless you put it straight out and far left hand side which leaves you far away, the idea is to bend the ball right but not too far (otherwise your next shot is from behind this gigantic tree that sits in the middle of fairway on right hand side-punishment for too good a shot).  Riggs smacks two into the sand in the side wall of the ravine for creek, finally gets one over.  NFM tees up, whaps it out there and starts gesticulating like a big man, saying "that's how it's done" like a boss.  I figure, this would be a fun time to outdrive him again if I can.  I tee it up, and surprisingly smacked another screamer, you can't see it land because its in the blind area but you know its a goodie.  NFM of course has to take credit for my good drive saying he must be rubbing off on me or something.  We pull up and see that I not only outdrove him by about 25-30 yards but am in a better position.  I know I can't even dream of making it in two, so I decide to play my clutch club, the 5 Hybrid and get it up there to where I have a good shot with an 8 iron or less.  I don't know what happened, but I totally sliced it into the water all the way on right hand side.  Very frustrated and NFM says "well you had a good drive".  So, I drop a ball where I stand, relax, and smack it to about 140 yards from the middle of green.  Riggs is doing his usual hack job just like I usually do and NFM pulls an iron(odd, I thought this is a guy who has had eagle opportunities at this hole) to lay up.  He fats it about 30 yards.  Swears a storm, walks up, and fats it again, yes, you guessed it, more gratuitous swearing.  Finally he gets a hold of it and we are not sure but it looks like it went into the moat.  We drive up to my ball and I am 140 out on what for me is an intimidating hole and I say I just want to put it on the green in this guy's face,  I pull 8 iron, line up, steady myself, and let her rip, ball takes off, its high and tracking and I am just hoping it has enough oomph.  Pop it right onto the middle of the green!  Couldn't be happier with that shot, if only I didn't have to take a drop I would be putting for birdie.  NFM finally gets over and we putt out.  I put it in with three puts unfortunately but was still happy with the way I played that last hole.  We shake hands and I wish them well on their back nine.

Golfing partners are like a box of chocolates, you never know who you are going to get.  Riggs was a lot of fun, NFM was okay all in all, and made the back nine somewhat interesting.  This weekend again I will have no one to play with but still plan on playing.  I will either be playing as a single or back next week with another golfing with strangers story....

Gator

Edited by Gator Hazard
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was once paired with a guy that had a freeze and lunge swing worse than even Sir Charles. Spent most of the round looking up at the sky because I simply could not watch him swing after the first couple of holes. Long day.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I actually love pairing up with strangers, depending on which course I play at. At the course I will call course (A) the strangers I have paired up with have been wonderful, friendly and very pleasant. It's always a joy to pair up with strangers on course (A) and I always hope for an opportunity to pair up with them again. I have had nothing but good experiences pairing up with people at course (A). On the course I'll course (B), I am hesitant about the possibility of pairing up with anyone, only because of personal experiences in doing so at course (B). Many people at course (B) seem unfriendly and even a bit rude. Nevertheless, I once did pair up during a morning round with a nice gentleman about 70 years old on course (B). He didn't hit the ball real far but he always hit it straight towards the flag. His tee shots would travel about 180 yds. We were playing along and enjoying our day of golf then we came to the 502 yd. par 5 seventh hole. He teed off and as usual hit his ball straight out into the middle of the fairway about 180 yds. Then I teed off, hoping to get some good distance but I pushed my ball off to the right and about 30 feet behind a tree. My partner who I paired up with came over to where my ball sat, looked over what options might be available to me for my second shot said, "last time my ball ended up in that spot I took my 8 iron and hit my ball over the top of the tree straight towards the pin." So I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try. So I made good contact with my ball and got good loft with my 8 iron but not good enough to clear over the tree, so my ball hit a branch and bounced back in front of my feet. The gentleman I paired up with looked at me and said; "well the last time i tried that shot, that tree was a lot shorter." I almost busted a gut laughing. But that is one of the few times I ever enjoyed pairing up with anyone from course (B).

I like getting put with strangers. In fact the stranger the better. I too have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly myself. I would also have to include the gorgeous too. 

Everything from lost tempers, drunks, drugs, gawd awful cigars. Bad, and good golfers. Even a few scratch players. I can't forget some of the sunburns I have seen. Theres even been a few cart girl encounters that were entertaining.

Sometimes it's not all about golf. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have played golf since 1962 and many of the rounds have involved joining new people.  Here is one experience:

Walter from Lake Charles, LA – Walter was undergoing therapy at the University of Michigan hospital for a stroke he had suffered several months previously. One of his afflictions was aphasia. He had forgotten many words for common objects. He knew what the object was used for but did not know the word. As we walked the course he would point to things like a ball washer and ask what the name was. He was an incredibly upbeat person for the problems he had and I hope he is still playing golf every day down in Louisiana. 

• Upvote 2

Brian Kuehn

I was actually just mentioning to someone the other day, that in all my years of playing with strangers I have only once played with someone who was slightly unpleasant. It was a young ex-army guy, who was full of himself and quite the braggart. He kept talking about how much money he makes and how hot his girlfriend was. Other than that I have never played with someone who I wouldn't have played with again. 

Colin P.

I have few friends and even fewer friends who have the same days off I do, so I always play as a single. It often results in pairing up. In the 15 years Ive been playing Ive only had maybe six or eight bad experiences. Most of the time I enjoy the company and meeting new people. As I sometimes take my game far too seriously, my only hope is that Im not one of the bad playing partners. I try to keep the f bombs to a minimum and help track golf balls, but I have to work hard sometimes to keep my emotions in check. Probably the pairing up thing that strikes me most is the fact Ive got to play with people of all races, ages, and backgrounds, but have never been paired with a female golfer. I have actually NEVER seen a woman playing golf alone. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

I have few friends and even fewer friends who have the same days off I do, so I always play as a single. It often results in pairing up. In the 15 years Ive been playing Ive only had maybe six or eight bad experiences. Most of the time I enjoy the company and meeting new people. As I sometimes take my game far too seriously, my only hope is that Im not one of the bad playing partners. I try to keep the f bombs to a minimum and help track golf balls, but I have to work hard sometimes to keep my emotions in check. Probably the pairing up thing that strikes me most is the fact Ive got to play with people of all races, ages, and backgrounds, but have never been paired with a female golfer. I have actually NEVER seen a woman playing golf alone. 

I have never seen a single female golfer either. The unicorns of golf. I wouldn't say NFM was a bad partner all in all, and language doesn't bother me really. He was just a little over the top with his. It was still fun. I love to watch and observe people and so almost all experiences are good. Hell, even that smarmy punk I wrote about playing with that almost got us kicked off the course wasn't that bad. Well, okay, maybe that one was.  He almost got us kicked off the course. I don't know if going out today or tomorrow so we will see what lies ahead. 

GH, was that you we paired up with last week? :-D  Did I really swear that much?

I play at a muni and 90% of the time I play with strangers.  99% are great.  There are 2 that I have played with in the past that I avoid.  Miserable people.

I played a round a little while back with 3 French Canadians on vacation.  I used to be quite fluent in French back in HS.  President of the French NHS.  But, I haven't kept up with it, but it was fun trying to decipher what they were saying.  Really nice folks.  I think I learned how to swear in French that day though. :-D  Zut Alohrs!

Many years ago, I was playing with a guy from England.  At the time, we were playing winter rules in our league, so we could roll the ball in the fairway.  The course we played in league then wasn't good enough to be called a goat ranch.  The course I was playing with this guy is in much better shape, but I was conditioned to roll the ball.  So when I did, he would say "You don't play golf?" with a smirky British accent.  I felt slightly embarrassed, so I stopped doing it for several holes until I forgot again.  I heard again "You don't play golf?".

I've never rolled my ball since except during scrambles.  I learned something that day I haven't forgotten.

Edited by vangator
  • Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

56 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

I have actually NEVER seen a woman playing golf alone. 

There is one course that I play where I see quite a few single 40ish women playing golf and they are pretty serious about their game. 

54 minutes ago, vangator said:

GH, was that you we paired up with last week? :-D  Did I really swear that much?

I play at a muni and 90% of the time I play with strangers.  99% are great.  There are 2 that I have played with in the past that I avoid.  Miserable people.

I played a round a little while back with 3 French Canadians on vacation.  I used to be quite fluent in French back in HS.  President of the French NHS.  But, I haven't kept up with it, but it was fun trying to decipher what they were saying.  Really nice folks.  I think I learned how to swear in French that day though. :-D  Zut Alohrs!

Many years ago, I was playing with a guy from England.  At the time, we were playing winter rules in our league, so we could roll the ball in the fairway.  The course we played in league then wasn't good enough to be called a goat ranch.  The course I was playing with this guy is in much better shape, but I was conditioned to roll the ball.  So when I did, he would say "You don't play golf?" with a smirky British accent.  I felt slightly embarrassed, so I stopped doing it for several holes until I forgot again.  I heard again "You don't play golf?".

I've never rolled my ball since except during scrambles.  I learned something that day I haven't forgotten.

Nah, couldn't have been, he was a gentleman compared to you!  Okay two questions:. What does the French swear word mean and what does it mean to roll your ball in the fairway? He would have been horrified by what I call golf had he played with me. 

1 hour ago, 9wood said:

There is one course that I play where I see quite a few single 40ish women playing golf and they are pretty serious about their game. 

Ever been paired with one of them? If so, what was your experience?

My only issues is guys who are too serious and no fun. I once took a client out with my boss ( 3) so the course (River Walk) put in some random guy. He started correcting us on the rules, saying we were too slow,  and even corrected one of us on strokes taken "no that was 5 not 4"..

I learned my lesson. For business golf I just buy the 4 some even if it is just 2 or 3 of us.

• Upvote 1

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I don't have many golfing friends with compatible schedules so I am often out there as a single late in the day. I encounter strangers all the time. I don't mind it and I see some really weird stuff but typically if the course is open people tend to avoid getting into little groups. I play through more than anything. Guys are usually not keen on pairing up with single digit handicap players it's a weird thing.

Dave :-)

47 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

My only issues is guys who are too serious and no fun. I once took a client out with my boss ( 3) so the course (River Walk) put in some random guy. He started correcting us on the rules, saying we were too slow,  and even corrected one of us on strokes taken "no that was 5 not 4"..

I learned my lesson. For business golf I just buy the 4 some even if it is just 2 or 3 of us.

Wow. That is some really good information for future use. 

2 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Ever been paired with one of them? If so, what was your experience?

They are usually not interested in pairing up. Women's club is Wed. at our course and I am usually there after work to play the side they don't. Quite a few will play the whatever side league isn't as singles when they finish. Whether it's singles or twosomes they park on a tee when they see me and ask me to play through. IMO it seems they don't want to shoot the shit with men if they are married or lesbian, quite a few of the women's club are one or the other.

Dave :-)

20 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

Golfing partners are like a box of chocolates, you never know who you are going to get.  

My wife and I often get paired with (im)perfect strangers.  I must say the vast majority are good folks enjoying a day of golf.   But once in a great while, we end up playing with people who make us uncomfortable.  Our list of bad playing partners we actually ran into:

• Ones who got drunk by the 3rd hole, and play extreme (?) golf under the influence.  I saw one who couldn't reach green after 10 shots, trip and fall, etc..  
  • Ones who hit into front group on purpose "to send a message (!)" - constant whining about the slow pace wasn't enough
  • Club throwers after bad shot, almost always a foul mouthed. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!