Note: This thread is 1541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

24 posts / 2558 viewsLast Reply

Indeed, I follow completely. In fact, I even play video game golf to this logic. For some reason, it just doesn't get brought to the forefront when I'm actually golfing.

Enlightening video.  This is definitely a tenet of my game.  I probably miss putts high vs low around 70:30.  Gets frustrating when the putt doesn't break as much as I read but I am 100% certain I make more putts now than I did before I started practicing this approach 4 or 5 years ago.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My instructor has been emphasizing for months that I'm better off aiming more to the high side on these types of putts and this was an excellent demonstration as to why.  Thanks Erik.  

yeah, its really laughable how little break some of my buddies play.  they think a putt breaks 8 inches when its really 2 feet. when we play scrambles they dont believe me until they see my putt actually break twice as much as they think it will.

There is no putt that is more satisfying to make than the one that goes in the side door.  This a great example of how technical golf analysis can teach us something. Thanks.

Give your putts enough break to have a chance, and try never to be short.

Edited by ppine

9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

yeah, its really laughable how little break some of my buddies play.  they think a putt breaks 8 inches when its really 2 feet. when we play scrambles they dont believe me until they see my putt actually break twice as much as they think it will.

Except they'll still make some putts too, right?  Before learning Aimpoint, I was like this.  But I didn't miss putts on the low side any more than your average hacker, in fact probably less.  There was a disconnect between the read and the stroke.  I might say 8" when it's really 2 feet, but then I'd also "push" the putt further up the hill with my stroke and make it or barely miss.  Then I could say "see, I told you it was 8 inches." :-P

Now I'll hit it where I aim, but I'll know well enough to aim properly.

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Except they'll still make some putts too, right?  Before learning Aimpoint, I was like this.  But I didn't miss putts on the low side any more than your average hacker, in fact probably less.  There was a disconnect between the read and the stroke.  I might say 8" when it's really 2 feet, but then I'd also "push" the putt further up the hill with my stroke and make it or barely miss.  Then I could say "see, I told you it was 8 inches." :-P

honestly, the guys i play with make almost none of their putts, and miss a shocking amount from 4-5 feet. if they ever make one then i figure they made it by accident.  and i think youre right, they must unconsciously push or pull a putt that their brain knows breaks more than they thought it did.

10 minutes ago, colin007 said:

honestly, the guys i play with make almost none of their putts, and miss a shocking amount from 4-5 feet. if they ever make one then i figure they made it by accident.  and i think youre right, they must unconsciously push or pull a putt that their brain knows breaks more than they thought it did.

Yeah, because your example reminds me of the "test" putt they gave us at my Aimpoint class.  We read it at the beginning of the class and I remember guessing something like 2-3 feet, and the answer ended up being something like 5-6 feet.  But I wasn't going to miss that putt by 3' (usually - sometimes I might ;P), I was just unconsciously "cheating" with my stroke.

13 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Except they'll still make some putts too, right?  Before learning Aimpoint, I was like this.  But I didn't miss putts on the low side any more than your average hacker, in fact probably less. 

I was always better at seeing more break than less break. I hated flat greens with subtle break. I would just outright miss the putt on the wrong side. I was pretty decent at playing the ball to the higher side than most. 

Of course I could have been good at pushing or pulling my putts more to the line I wanted. It's hard to tell once you have been playing with a fitted putter and using Aimpoint for a few years. :whistle: 

1 hour ago, ppine said:

Give your putts enough break to have a chance, and try never to be short.

Don't worry about being short or long - just hit the ball the exact distance of the hole - from outside of about 20 feet.

Awesome video.  Really cool demo between the mid read and the high read!

Note: This thread is 1541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!