IGNORED

A very big guy that enjoys walking

Eack
Note: This thread is 2965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, BuckeyeNut said:

I looked at the Dicks selection online.  If you plan to walk 175 rounds in a year, I wouldn't pay less than $200 for a cart. I'd recommend one of the bagboys or sun mountain carts in the $200-250 price range.  I saw 2 topflite bags.... one was a cheapo for $99 and another was $149.  Without looking at the $149 model, I can't comment on it.   Based on my past experiences with carts if I was in the market for one today............. I'd choose between the sun mountain or bagboy.  For the dedicated golfer that plays a lot, the inexpensive carts are flimsy and will break before you know it.  

Have you ever actually seen the Caddy Tek?  I've compared it straight up to the Clik Gear and it stands the comparison very well.  For up to $100 less, I don't see how anyone can go wrong with it.  You don't need to buy the most expensive when just as good can cost that much less. 

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Have you ever actually seen the Caddy Tek?  I've compared it straight up to the Clik Gear and it stands the comparison very well.  For up to $100 less, I don't see how anyone can go wrong with it.  You don't need to buy the most expensive when just as good can cost that much less. 

I think problem is being able to evaluate them first hand. I've heard good things about the Caddy Tek, but have never seen one on the course or in a store. Many players want to inspect their purchases in person. I spent a lot of time picking out a cart. I checked out of the models at local stores including putting bags on them and folding them up.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I think problem is being able to evaluate them first hand. I've heard good things about the Caddy Tek, but have never seen one on the course or in a store. Many players want to inspect their purchases in person. I spent a lot of time picking out a cart. I checked out of the models at local stores including putting bags on them and folding them up.

You can buy the Caddy Tek from Amazon, and if you don't like it, return it.  That's one of the great things about Amazon.  As long as you haven't really used it on the course, it's easily returnable.  

I was really pleased when I got mine that it is every bit as good as the Amazon reviews said it was, and really does compare well with Clik Gear.  People just assume that because it costs so much less, that it's poorly made.  I was a machinist for 33 years, and I understand good tools and good construction.  This is a good tool that will work well for what it's designed to do.

Rick

I like the sun mountain ... and I prefer to push the cart ... I do not think I could carry my clubs for 18 ... my back would not support it.

The year after I bought my last cart, they came out the four wheel version that has a small stool to sit ... go figure.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Personally, I think the Clik Gear is a bit heavy.

I'd want to check it out in person too. I'd want lightest one there that rolls the easiest.

Colin P.

I used to play a course where to use a push cart you had to rent one of the course's own (this really annoyed my buddy who had the exact same push cart, but in a different color) - anyway, they were Clicgear 2.0 carts.

These days I play a different course in a different state, and own a Caddytek Caddylite 11.5. I like it just fine; I'd say it's 80% of the Clicgear for less than 50% of the price. Honestly, the Caddytek's foot brake doesn't compare to the Clicgear's hand brake. If you play a very hilly course, that might be a factor to consider.

Edited by ScouseJohnny

40 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I used to play a course where to use a push cart you had to rent one of the course's own (this really annoyed my buddy who had the exact same push cart, but in a different color) - anyway, they were Clicgear 2.0 carts.

These days I play a different course in a different state, and own a Caddytek Caddylite 11.5. I like it just fine; I'd say it's 80% of the Clicgear for less than 50% of the price. Honestly, the Caddytek's foot brake doesn't compare to the Clicgear's hand brake. If you play a very hilly course, that might be a factor to consider.

I rarely use the brake anyway.  I just turn it sideways to the fall line.  I usually did the same with my old Sun Mountain Speed Cart, and it did hafe a hand brake.

Rick

If I play 9 holes, I prefer to walk with my pull cart as long as the course isn't busy and the temperature and humidity level isn't too high. If it's busy I will rent a cart and play 18. 

11 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I rarely use the brake anyway.  I just turn it sideways to the fall line.  I usually did the same with my old Sun Mountain Speed Cart, and it did have a hand brake.

That's one way to solve the problem! I can see why the Clicgear has a superior brake, though - it's a bit like a 1960s Buick Skylark of golf push carts: a fairly solid piece of engineering. Maybe easier to apply the brake than maneuver at 90 degrees across the slope of a steep hill? I think the Caddytek, being lighter, seems more nimble. As I said, I like the Caddytek very much, and, to be honest, I couldn't bring myself to pay Clicgear money for a push cart. At the end of the day, when it comes to spending money on equipment, it's just a push cart - it's not like buying a Scotty or something.

On March 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Eack said:

Hey TST,  

Let me start off by saying one thing I'm a BIG guy close to 350 lbs.  I thoroughly enjoy walking the course for multiple reasons.  

The first is cost,  at roughly $15 per 9 hole round or about $850 a year for unlimited rental.  That alone is a huge added expense.  

Second is the frame of mind I stay in during a round when walking.  I find it easier to blow off the steam from a bad shot. Riding in a cart always seems to be darting through the course looking for a ball and swinging at it for me.  Very quick but sometimes not thoroughly thought out.  

The third reason is simply I enjoy walking through the course and seeing many things that blow past on a cart, birds bugs animals etc....  

One of many questions I have is what push or pull cart do you use and recommend?

I mainly carry my bag when i walk and it seems like everything will start to add to much to enjoy the game. I'm starting a YouTube channel solely to document my journey of trying to get and maintain a scratch handicap.  This means I carry a camera around now and that's a hassle carrying my bag also.  My setup is not going to be anything fancy just a gopro and the gooseneck attachment,  but I digress....  

I've got a few friends that have click gear carts they seem nice but are pricey and they don't seem to have many issues.  I've got an old Dunlop two wheel pull behind that works but it isn't the best thing around. 

So to sum it all up,  walkers (not zombies). What do you use? Do any of you vlog like I'm planning on doing?

Im late to the party here but I just purchased a tour trek cube push cart from golfsmith for around 150. Have walked three rounds with it and I absolutely love it! I too enjoy walking. Only reason I usually ride is so I have somewhere to sit while I wait on all the slow players ahead.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:32 AM, gatsby47 said:

I will be starting my 3rd season with my Caddytek caddy lite 3 wheel push cart. I recommend this. Cheaper than a clicgear and so far for me durable and easy to set up and take down. The detractors against using a push cart may  change their minds later.  The use of push carts mostly 3 wheeled, some 4 is extensive here in New Brunswick.  Courses may offer pull carts but everyone who is not a rider seems to have one. Clicgear, Sun Mountain Caddytek are all popular. Mine comes from Costco and I would buy it again.

I'm a Costco member, so I'm going to check this out.  I bought a push cart when they first became popular.  Maybe 20 years ago or longer?  Mine has been through hell and back.  I've repaired everything that can break on it.  I drove over it once.  I've had to replace both inner tubes.  The tires are bald.  It's held together with clamps and JB Weld.  Bungee cords to hold the bag on.  I think I can get another 20 years out of it. :-D

• Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I use a Sun Mountain 4-wheel cart that I LOVE. I forgot the model, but I think it was about $175. It doesn't have air in the tires, holds ALL of my equipment (and I carry a lot of crap), and is extremely stable while easy to maneuver. I was sticker shocked when I started looking but then told myself that so long as I keep playing, I'll be in better shape, not hurting my back or anything from carrying, be able to enjoy the full course by taking in all the nature and stuff (as you said), and supplementing the cost of a cart or rental then it will pay for itself in no time. at about $12-18 per round cart fee I've already made my money back this year. 

I don't knock guys/gals that carry. I respect it. But I really don't want to twist my ankle on a gopher hole and land awkwardly and hurt myself. Definitely happens pretty frequently for me on the course (I'm a bit of a klutz).

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

For the dedicated golfer that plays a lot...... you get what you pay for.  If you play a lot and walk huge mileage...........your cart will break if you buy CHEAP.   this is a promise...LOL

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I will put in a plug for the Clicgear 3.5+

This is my 2nd year with this cart and I have nothing but good to say about it. For me it has made walking so much more enjoyable. Just having a cup holder and a place to keep my phone is a plus.

When making your decision look over clicgears website. They have any accessory you can think of.

clic.jpg

Respectfully,

On 3/8/2016 at 11:48 AM, vangator said:

On 3/8/2016 at 11:48 AM, vangator said:

I'm a Costco member, so I'm going to check this out.  I bought a push cart when they first became popular.  Maybe 20 years ago or longer?  Mine has been through hell and back.  I've repaired everything that can break on it.  I drove over it once.  I've had to replace both inner tubes.  The tires are bald.  It's held together with clamps and JB Weld.  Bungee cords to hold the bag on.  I think I can get another 20 years out of it. :-D

I'm actually going to look at one with tubes, a sun mountain i believe.  I hope it's in good condition

12 hours ago, BuckeyeNut said:

For the dedicated golfer that plays a lot...... you get what you pay for.  If you play a lot and walk huge mileage...........your cart will break if you buy CHEAP.   this is a promise...LOL

Is this from experience?

38 minutes ago, Eack said:

I'm actually going to look at one with tubes, a sun mountain i believe.  I hope it's in good condition

Is this from experience?

I hope you like pumping up tires then.  I hated my Sun Mountain Speed Cart because it seemed like the tires lost pressure too fast.  I had to pump them up before almost every round.  That must be why it came with its own pump.  I much prefer the solid tires on my Caddy Tek.

Rick

17 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

I hope you like pumping up tires then.  I hated my Sun Mountain Speed Cart because it seemed like the tires lost pressure too fast.  I had to pump them up before almost every round.  That must be why it came with its own pump.  I much prefer the solid tires on my Caddy Tek.

That is my only concern

A lot of folks have expressed buying a more expensive push cart so it will last.  Yet, no one with Caddy Tek experience has mentioned that they were cheaply built and broke down quickly.  Anyone?

I bought my Caddy Tek in Nov. 2014, just checked my HI log and I have 95 rounds since then so probably 90 rounds walked.  I've never had a problem and it still works as good as new.  The Caddy Tek seems really well built to me.

I got my 4 wheeler for $129 on the Costco online site.  Save yourself $100 if $100 matters to you.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!