Sign in to follow this  
Bp08

Should I start over. Post surgery.

Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 posts / 1053 viewsLast Reply

Having full reconstruction of both my knees, this year.  I'm wondering if after I'm done with pt if I should start from scratch on my swing or not. My condition was pellafemoral instability and oa.

Edited by Bp08

Can only comment on experience.

I've had 2 back surgeries and after 6 weeks recuperation on both counts,I returned to golfing as normal.

My friend has had a knee cap replacement and he had a longer lay off but returned to golf without swing changes.

Each to their own I suppose.

No such thing as starting over from scratch. The old tendencies and habit will always want to creep in. How will the new knees effect your swing is the real question. You'll definitely want to flare your feet more at address if you weren't doing so already. (It'll take some stress off the knees on top of the other benefits found in this thread)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ask you doctor about shoes, and how traction (spikes) you may, or may not need to avoid stress on your new knees. 

10 hours ago, Bp08 said:

Having full reconstruction of both my knees, this year.  I'm wondering if after I'm done with pt if I should start from scratch on my swing or not. My condition was pellafemoral instability and oa.

I had a head transplant, and it took me ages to get back to scratch. I continually kept missing the ball, and then realised the surgeon had put it on back to front. 

I had a full right knee replacement in mid January and plan to start hitting again next week. 6 weeks of intense PT and I feel ready to go. Dr and physical therapist agree. The knee has been bad for so long that my right leg was visibly atrophied and significantly weaker than the left.

I'm 68 and have been playing regularly for 6 years, always with an unstable right side. I play to an honest 21 index. It's been as low as 18 but hovers these days around 21. Home course it challenging, Mountaingate CC in LA.

I don't know about starting from scratch but I'm definitely going to see one of the pros to get started on the right track.  I look forward to seeing what golf is like with a right leg that works. I have high hopes.

Also bought a copy and have read Lowest Score Wins during my recovery. Head full of good thoughts.

14 hours ago, Bp08 said:

... I'm wondering if after I'm done with pt if I should start from scratch on my swing or not. 

I would discuss with your physician whether any golf movements should be avoided.  If he/she tells you there are no restrictions on your movements, then you need to decide if your existing swing and game are worth salvaging.  If you just picked up the game and have never broken 100, starting over might make the most sense.  If you are a long time player and fairly happy with your game, there is less incentive to chuck it and start over. 

I had a hip replaced. My swing slowly changed before surgery as I tried to protect myself from the pain if I got in the wrong position. After, it took me quite a while to trust the new parts, but I slowly returned to my old rotation. There are some changes, my 150 went from an 8 to a 6, I think mostly because I still don't have a powerful hip turn. At 60,and not inclined to workout, I'll settle for my game as it is now. I've matched my best score at my home course after the surgery, and maybe slowing my swing down a bit will turn out to be beneficial in the long run.

Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!