IGNORED

Cutting Weight/Rapid Weight Loss

freshmanUTA
Note: This thread is 2939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, last night my old fighting coach asked me to participate in a fight for charity next Wednesday/Thursday. Weigh in on Wednesday, fight on Thursday. It's all fun and games, not very serious. Basically, a glorified wrestling match with boxing added on. Naturally, I said yes because I missed fighting. The only catch, i had to fight at 185lbs. Since i stopped fighting I gained 20 pounds and need to lose it back to fight again. With the addition of the miles I've been running recently, and the strength training I've been doing with Nathan(My old fighting coach), I am not near where I was in my fighting prime, but I'm in a position where I won't be exhausted after 1 round. 

So, since a lot of people don't know how we fighters did it, I thought I'd share how we cut weight. Something to note: It's hell. Naturally we do it by 5 days, anything more and it's a serious health risk, as most of the cut is about lessening how much water your body drinks. Dehydration is very dangerous, so please don't try this unless you know what you are doing and have consulted a doctor and insured it is "safe" for you to do. I do not recommend it for anyone just trying to lose weight.

The most important thing is eating. Since we're trying to lose weight, and not burn fat, you can eat pretty much whatever you want, with some restrictions. No salt, 50g of Carbs at most daily, and no fruit, starches or sugars. Also, be prepared to feel SUPER dehydrated, it's agonizing.

Every day you want to fill a bath with SUPER hot waterfor 10 minutes, hot enough to cause minimal pain, but not hot enough to do damage, although, you might think it's doing damage ;D

Your 5 days would look something like this.

Day 1:

50g or less carbs

As much protein or fat as you want, some people do 6 small meals, i do 3 big meals.

2 gallons of water

NO SALT

Day 2:

50g or less carbs

As much protein as you want

1 gallon of water(the change from 2 to 1 feels horrible)

NO SALT

Day 3:

50g or less carbs

Protein

1 Gallon water

NO SALT

Day 4:

50g or less carbs

Protein

.5 Gallon water

NO SALT

Day 5:

Less than 40g carbs, were on the final weight loss day and any excess weight will be shredded.

Protein, don't over indulge.

.25 Gallons water(you will feel really dehydrated, but manage this and your weight will drop, i promise.)

NO SALT

Day 6 is usually weigh in day, which is no water, no carbs, minimal protein, just enough to keep you satisfied, and again. No salt.

After the weigh in we usually try to build as much weight back as possible, by drinking a pint of water every hour and eating whatever you want, as long as it's healthy. Yes, that means the sweet sweet carbs can come back.

The rapid weight loss really screws up your bodies performance, do not expect to cut weight like this and then go out and do fine in the gym.

I can keep you updated through the 5 days if you want, but just be prepared for the mile long posts complaining about the agony. Oh, and I'll let you know how my first Mixed Martial Arts fight in 2 years goes haha.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That almost seems like extreme Atkins diet to achieve ketosis quickly. 

Are you losing mostly fat or water with that diet?

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

17 minutes ago, Yukari said:

That almost seems like extreme Atkins diet to achieve ketosis quickly. 

Are you losing mostly fat or water with that diet?

Water. Naturally you will burn fat if you have it, which I do, quite a bit to be fair. But the diet is designed to flush out water which is a majority of your weight, and remember, this is just to cut the weight, if i wanted to cut weight/control my weight to fight, i would start at least 25 days before hand, this diet is when i want to fight down a weight class so i have to drop to that weight, then put it all back on quickly for the fight. You can modify it so that when you cut the weight, you do some exercises while you're cutting, so you maintain that low weight once you get to it, but this is SUPER dangerous. I've done it before and felt extremely lightheaded and faint after a workout, not recommended.

My 'career' ended with a concussion 2 years ago but i decided to get back into sparring with success so with success, a live fight is a natural occurrence. I just haven't really stuck to a solid eating plan and let my weight slip away from me a little ;D

Damn, are you telling me with that weight loss plan, you can lose 20 pounds in 5 days.   That is like super scary.  So, do they not weigh you on the day you fight.  Sounds a bit daft that.

Anyway, can you keep the weight off after that or will it come back.  Ask because I want to lose weight and if I can lose 10 kg (20 pounds) in 5 days would sort of get me close to my target weight.  Question is how do you maintain it there

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

40 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Damn, are you telling me with that weight loss plan, you can lose 20 pounds in 5 days.   That is like super scary.  So, do they not weigh you on the day you fight.  Sounds a bit daft that.

Anyway, can you keep the weight off after that or will it come back.  Ask because I want to lose weight and if I can lose 10 kg (20 pounds) in 5 days would sort of get me close to my target weight.  Question is how do you maintain it there

He said he doesn't recommend it for losing weight.  It's really dangerous.  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mma/2015/12/11/death-weight-cutting-yang-jian-bing-mma/77143446/

I'm a fairly new (and still pretty green) fan of UFC fighting and my opinion is that they should tighten the rules somehow, perhaps just weigh-in within hours or minutes prior to the fight, such that these guys should just fight at their normal, healthy weight.

Think about it:  What sense does it make for two guys who both comfortably weigh 175 pounds to go on a crazy "diet" to get to 158 pounds just to step on a scale one day before they beat each others brains in, and to be back up closer to that 175 number when they actually fight ... with the added bonus that they are dehydrated?  It's silly.

Man, that is impressive.  I follow MMA pretty closely but the weight cut seems always to be a little mysterious.  I'm surprised that diet will cut 20 lbs in only 5 days.  

Question:  using that approach, what would u you think your weight will be at the time of the fight?  195?  200?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

12 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

He said he doesn't recommend it for losing weight.  It's really dangerous.  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mma/2015/12/11/death-weight-cutting-yang-jian-bing-mma/77143446/

I'm a fairly new (and still pretty green) fan of UFC fighting and my opinion is that they should tighten the rules somehow, perhaps just weigh-in within hours or minutes prior to the fight, such that these guys should just fight at their normal, healthy weight.

Think about it:  What since does it make for two guys who both comfortably weigh 175 pounds to go on a crazy "diet" to get to 158 pounds just to step on a scale one day before they beat each others brains in, and to be back up closer to that 175 number when they actually fight ... with the added bonus that they are dehydrated?  It's silly.

With the new strict USADA drug testing in the UFC they can no longer use IV's to rehydrate. It could help push fighters into more reasonable weight cuts if they are consistently under performing.

(edited)
42 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I don't like it honestly, it's always a race to see who can pack on the most pounds before the fight. 

No i wouldn't recommend it to stay that weight, there iss a variation i do recommend: Just drink a gallon of water a day, follow the same eating plan, and do some sort of exercise every day. Wont be nearly as fast, but its much safer.

22 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Think about it:  What since does it make for two guys who both comfortably weigh 175 pounds to go on a crazy "diet" to get to 158 pounds just to step on a scale one day before they beat each others brains in, and to be back up closer to that 175 number when they actually fight ... with the added bonus that they are dehydrated?  It's silly.

That's what I've always said, its annoying that in the 24(sometimes less) hours before the fight you have to race to pack on as many pounds as you can. I think McGregor is the only fighter that does not drop more than 10 pounds, except the recent fight he had. IIRC he stays around 155 and then drops the 10 to get to 145 and then gains the 10 back, MUCH safer.

I liked the article BTW. But, it's not as dangerous if you are careful about it. Like i said below, i only drop a MAX of 20 pounds, in fact before i started today i found out i was 201 so I'm only dropping 16 pounds, way safer than 20, and miles safer than anything more than 20.

20 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Man, that is impressive.  I follow MMA pretty closely but the weight cut seems always to be a little mysterious.  I'm surprised that diet will cut 20 lbs in only 5 days.  

Question:  using that approach, what would u you think your weight will be at the time of the fight?  195?  200?

Uh, tough to say. I hope only 195 just because I feel like I don't fight properly at 200. Some weird mental thing.

5 minutes ago, JxQx said:

With the new strict USADA drug testing in the UFC they can no longer use IV's to rehydrate. It could help push fighters into more reasonable weight cuts if they are consistently under performing.

Yeah, I've only ever done it by water. With the IV's you'd see players dropping 30 pounds or more, then gaining it right back... It's a stretch for me to lose/gain more than 20, and many more and I decline the fight. If I'm at 210 and they want me to fight at 185 it better be over a month away, because I'm not risking the extreme fasting and dehydration.

Edited by freshmanUTA

1 hour ago, freshmanUTA said:

My 'career' ended with a concussion 2 years ago but i decided to get back into sparring with success so with success, a live fight is a natural occurrence. I just haven't really stuck to a solid eating plan and let my weight slip away from me a little ;D

Dude, I'm compelled to ask. Why spar/fight again if you had to stop fighting before because of concussions? Plural because you probably had more than one and are gonna get some more. Concussions are serious business, and you are young. It's your life but had to mention it.

Steve

Yeah that can definitely get sketchy dropping that kind of weight especially with the recent talks of dehydration making it easier for TBI's and such.

44 minutes ago, MrFlipper said:

Dude, I'm compelled to ask. Why spar/fight again if you had to stop fighting before because of concussions? Plural because you probably had more than one and are gonna get some more. Concussions are serious business, and you are young. It's your life but had to mention it.

Well, it was just one. So i decided to just stop fighting so i wouldn't get more. You'd actually be shocked how much less common concussions are than you think. Fighting is safe, and the refs do a good job of stopping it before any serious harm.

After 2 years my doctor said i was safe to start again so I did. Plus, this is a fight where we'll both be wearing headgear, as it's a charity event and there will be like 10 year olds there so they don't want blood and stuff. It still counts toward my 3-3 record as an amateur though.

Yeah since carbs and sodium "hold" onto water weight, you're basically eliminating all that. Lots of trips to the bathroom! :-P

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

30 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Yeah since carbs and sodium "hold" onto water weight, you're basically eliminating all that. Lots of trips to the bathroom! :-P

Especially day 1. I probably spend more time in the bathroom than out of it when I'm drinking 2 gallons of water :P

Do you incorporate epsom salt baths in as well? That always helped me drop a lot of water weight.

3 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

That's what I've always said, its annoying that in the 24(sometimes less) hours before the fight you have to race to pack on as many pounds as you can. I think McGregor is the only fighter that does not drop more than 10 pounds, except the recent fight he had. IIRC he stays around 155 and then drops the 10 to get to 145 and then gains the 10 back, MUCH safer.

Conor McGregor walks around about 170-175 from what I have read. I would have to find the article, but I'm almost certain I have read that. He is a really big 145lb fighter, so I don't think he is just 10lbs over that weight normally

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

2 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Especially day 1. I probably spend more time in the bathroom than out of it when I'm drinking 2 gallons of water :P

LOL.  I regularly drink 2-3 liters a day during work (which is only about 1/2 or 3/4 of a gallon) and I have to make many trips.  Can't imagine what I'd feel like drinking 2 gallons.:beer:

On a sort of related side note, I got my butt kicked last night sparring, and loved it. :-P

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Think about it:  What sense does it make for two guys who both comfortably weigh 175 pounds to go on a crazy "diet" to get to 158 pounds just to step on a scale one day before they beat each others brains in, and to be back up closer to that 175 number when they actually fight ... with the added bonus that they are dehydrated?  It's silly.

Yeah, it's a big problem in wrestling too.  My son wrestled for 7 years, fortunately he was in the higher weight classes so weight loss wasn't as big an issue for him.  The smaller guys were constantly cutting and that's with the new rules that say you can't move down more than 1 weight class from your established pre-season weight.  

Just like in MMA, there's an advantage to weighing in at a lower weight class and then re-hydrating back to close you normal weight.  Some of these guys cut way too much, some nearly die from it.  

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, TN94z said:

Conor McGregor walks around about 170-175 from what I have read. I would have to find the article, but I'm almost certain I have read that. He is a really big 145lb fighter, so I don't think he is just 10lbs over that weight normally

I wouldn't doubt that! He's pretty big but I've always heard that it's just his body shape, not weight. Not saying he's not strong or anything.

4 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

On a sort of related side note, I got my butt kicked last night sparring, and loved it. :-P

It's addicting.

Note: This thread is 2939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!