IGNORED

2016 Masters Toonamint Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ernie 6 putted the 1st for a 9... the number of putts was miscounted, what happened, he hit a good chip?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure anyone mentioned this but in 2014, Els three-putted from close range on the first hole of the Open Championship:

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2014-british-open-ernie-els-three-putts-one-foot-double-bogey

Seems Ernie has an issue with getting his head straight on the first hole putting surface. Flukes?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Spieth played incredibly well today, no one in the afternoon wave had the kind of round Jordan had. Day had it going but closing 6 6 5 4 when you were -5 in 15 fairway, 73 yards out, in position to make no worse than par, and 3 putts at 15, pull an 8 iron in the drink on 16, hit a lousy recovery shot, and 3 putt for a 6, kills your momentum in a heartbeat.

Why would one of the longest hitters in the game, lay-up from 244 yards on 15? Did I miss something? Was he in the trees? Was he blocked out? I know the wind was blowing, and Jason Day doesn't carry a hybrid or 5-wood, but he could of hit a cut 3-wood in the bunker, and made 5 most of the time. 

I looked on masters.com and it doesn't look like he was in the trees off the tee. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

That wasn't the yips. He was being careless, even before he missed that backhand on putt 6 or whatever. There's not excuse. 

Good to see Bubba melt down. I was surprised when I tuned in he was -3 in this wind, but he came around. Funny when he missed that short par putt on 11 I think that opened the gates, somebody yelled or cheered off to the side. He started chirping and whining like he normally does, and kept glancing at somebody. Then he promptly went and slapped his tee shot on 12 in the back of that back bunker, with the atrocious chip to follow and the subsequent meltdown on the back 9. Couldn't happen to a bigger douche bag. 

Here's the video of Els' putts on the first hole.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Rickie: +8 with at least one snowman today. But the pants were good.

I've always heard that Augusta favors a a big, high draw, and from what I heard today, that is not Rickie's game. And he played in the morning in favorable conditions.

Day disappeared in a flash!

The majors don't fit Rickie's game. Name me a major other than the 2014 PGA Championship where Rickie Fowler was  in contention down the stretch to win? He has some top-5s and top-10s, most of which were backdoor finishes. He just doesn't seem to bring his best on the big stage. Remember how hot he was going into the US Open and British last year and then he crapped the bed. I'm tired of picking him to win....because he always lets me down. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me 20 times shame on me.

Edited by ChrisP

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Chris E said:

That wasn't the yips. He was being careless, even before he missed that backhand on putt 6 or whatever. There's not excuse. 

The first one wasn't careless - that was a yip. Children can make that putt.

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

The majors don't fit Rickie's game. Name me a major other than the 2014 PGA Championship where Rickie Fowler was  in contention down the stretch to win? He has some top-5s and top-10s, most of which were backdoor finishes. He just doesn't seem to bring his best on the big stage. Remember how hot he was going into the US Open and British last year and then he crapped the bed.

Uhh… Every major in 2014. Top five in all of them. T10 in 2013, T5 in 2011.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Interesting day and some of my observations and opinions.....

-Praying Spieth doesn't run away with it to make this boring

-To someone above...I second the Masters.com love; was thinking about that earlier today

-Rickie needs a new caddy. He never seemed to let the big number throw him off his game as much as it did today. He always had an issue with the blowup holes, but usually found a way to bounce back. Those big numbers always seemed to keep him out of a victory or playoff. Today on the other hand just was blowup after blowup and just poor decision making and overthinking. Responsibility comes down to the player at the end of the day, but Rickie would really benefit IMO from a top notch caddy. He should snag Bones when Phil hangs them up or someone like that

-That back 9 really showed its teeth this afternoon once the wind picked up damn

-I don't get the impression Ernie is checked into the game anymore

-Adam Scott has to be the biggest surprise of the first round. 2 wins on the year, his game is at an all time high and he flat out struggled; hopefully bounces back tomorrow

-So going by the "winner was in the top 10 after thursday" stat...love the leaderboard and Rose and Rory's chances

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

My dad just cracked me up! He said their going to add Ernies' putting to the add  These guys are good!

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

The first one wasn't careless - that was a yip. Children can make that putt.

@iacas like I said earlier maybe Ernie should take putting lessons from Alina.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

Uhh… Every major in 2014. Top five in all of them. T10 in 2013, T5 in 2011.

Did he really contend down the stretch at the Masters, US Open and British that year? You may be able to make a slight case for the British. Not doubting he has some nice finishes in majors, but he hasn't been able to put himself in position to truly win one outside of the 2014 PGA, and this is the 5th major in a row now I think we call agree on that he's disappointed. My point is very simple: he has underperformed big time. But so did Adam Scott at his age.

Edited by ChrisP

Apparently Peter Alliss did something similar on 11 back in the 1960s. 

That first putt definitely looked like a twitchy/dystonia stroke. Not sure about that 5 incher he missed...wow

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

The majors don't fit Rickie's game. Name me a major other than the 2014 PGA Championship where Rickie Fowler was  in contention down the stretch to win? He has some top-5s and top-10s, most of which were backdoor finishes. He just doesn't seem to bring his best on the big stage. Remember how hot he was going into the US Open and British last year and then he crapped the bed. I'm tired of picking him to win....because he always lets me down. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me 20 times shame on me.

Yeah, if Rickie does not make the cut. I'm out a $100. At least he loves playing in windy conditions.

Heard today that Jordan is the first player in the 80-year history of The Masters, to hold a solo lead for 5 straight rounds.  Really heady stuff.  

I know some don't want a runaway and I get that.  But, since I'm in KC for the weekend at a volleyball tournament and can't watch, I'd love to see Spieth continue to knock down records and go -20 this week, winning by 9.  

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

5 hours ago, iacas said:

The first one wasn't careless - that was a yip.

BINGO! There were a few careless one hand slaps after that, and he got quick on a few,  but the first putt was an honest attempt.

5 hours ago, atb5079 said:

Interesting day and some of my observations and opinions.....

-Praying Spieth doesn't run away with it to make this boring

-That back 9 really showed its teeth this afternoon once the wind picked up damn

-I don't get the impression Ernie is checked into the game anymore

Boring?! You must be easily bored! Especially if he could manage to go wire to wire again. That would be a mark for the ages!

Yes, the back nine did play tough. Wasn't able to watch today but picked up tidbits here and there on sports radio. One commentator said that Spieth played a solid round, but he caught the luck of the draw by going out early before the wind was supposed to blow. Later tonight I was able to watch some highlights. When Spieth hit his approach to 18 that flag was starched! He seemed to handle the wind OK. If you're from Texas, and play golf, you'd better be able to do that.

Ernie's meltdown on 1 kind of defies description. I once read an essay by David Feherty, admittedly from a few years back, where he claimed that Els could probably beat Tiger's and Phil's better ball if he actually gave a crap! What killed me was that when he'd miss one of those dinks, he'd turn and look at his caddy! What the hell, Ernie! The caddy didn't hit those putts, nor did you give him a chance to settle you down and get lined up!

1 hour ago, Broke100Once said:

This one is over.  Spieth is going to win again.  This has the feeling of those vintage Tiger majors when he'd be leading after the first round and you knew exactly how the weekend was going to play out.

Well, let's not get carried away! There are 54 more holes of golf to be played, and a lot of things can happen. There's some fuss being made over the fact that this is the 30th anniversary of Nicklaus' last Masters win and 18th major overall. Let's not forget that it's also the 20th anniversary of Nick Faldo's come from behind win over Greg Norman, who had led the Masters the first three days. 

23 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

There are 54 more holes of golf to be played, and a lot of things can happen.

This. Spieth hasn't been great this year and whilst -6 was a great round, Day's performance on the back nine shows that anyone can get thrown off their game at any time. McIlroy played really well bar a couple of slips on the last few holes and I could see Lowry, Casey and Rose continuing to put those sorts of -3 rounds together. You've got to think that this week -12 would be damn hard to beat.

Also, really happy to see Sergio pull a good round out. Very nice day for the Europeans all round!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 2920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!