IGNORED

2016 Masters Toonamint Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

42 minutes ago, b101 said:

This. Spieth hasn't been great this year and whilst -6 was a great round, Day's performance on the back nine shows that anyone can get thrown off their game at any time. McIlroy played really well bar a couple of slips on the last few holes and I could see Lowry, Casey and Rose continuing to put those sorts of -3 rounds together. You've got to think that this week -12 would be damn hard to beat.

Also, really happy to see Sergio pull a good round out. Very nice day for the Europeans all round!

I can see Spieth going to -12 tomorrow,this is a "catch me if you can". He has the bone in his teeth.

The guys behind him know he's done this before at Augusta and a couple of early birdies from Spieth tomorrow will make them lose heart.

No more bets from me,my each way bet on Zach is enough.

Still want to see 3 or 4 players coming down the back nine on Sunday in contention.

1 hour ago, Scotsclaff said:

I can see Spieth going to -12 tomorrow,this is a "catch me if you can". He has the bone in his teeth.

The guys behind him know he's done this before at Augusta and a couple of early birdies from Spieth tomorrow will make them lose heart.

No more bets from me,my each way bet on Zach is enough.

Still want to see 3 or 4 players coming down the back nine on Sunday in contention.

Spieth doesn't tee off until 12:55 so most of the field will tee off before him so if he does get a few early birdies, that likely won't impact their round much since at the very least they'll already be a few holes ahead of him.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Spieth doesn't tee off until 12:55 so most of the field will tee off before him so if he does get a few early birdies, that likely won't impact their round much since at the very least they'll already be a few holes ahead of him.

This, and you can add that these guys know there is a lot of golf to be played. A triple bogey is easily made here, see Day on 16. It surely wont be boring after today, even if Spieth is 5 shots ahead.

34 minutes ago, DutchGolf said:

This, and you can add that these guys know there is a lot of golf to be played. A triple bogey is easily made here, see Day on 16. It surely wont be boring after today, even if Spieth is 5 shots ahead.

It will be boring after today if Speith is 5 shots ahead.

I don't get why anyone would dislike Spieth, he seems like a great kid who makes the most out of less than ideal athleticism.  I think his early tee time helped him but he's only 2 strokes ahead of the field so it's far from a runaway.  I also think the later tee time will work against him if the winds pick up later in the day like they did yesterday.  

Rickie pushed way too hard to make up strokes and it cost him more.  Right now the cut line is +4 so he's got to have a really good round today to make the cut, especially if the leaders keep playing well.  

I was a bit disappointed Phil was E for the day, I thought he'd have been more in contention.  Dustin Johnson +1 started out well but also faded on the back 9, hopefully he can put together a good round today.  Rory has some strokes to make up and Sergio is in contention as he usually is on the first few days.  

Joe Paradiso

I wouldn't give it to Jordan yet. The one problem he's had this year is he's struggled to put 4 good rounds together. And this afternoon is gonna be really tough. While he'll say otherwise, I don't think he's come into this major playing as well as he did last year. There have been some inconsistencies. But that doesn't mean he can't find it all this week. Still think a Justin Rose is dangerous. He's the one I'd keep my eye on the most besides Maybe Rory.

15 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I don't get why anyone would dislike Spieth, he seems like a great kid who makes the most out of less than ideal athleticism.  I think his early tee time helped him but he's only 2 strokes ahead of the field so it's far from a runaway.  I also think the later tee time will work against him if the winds pick up later in the day like they did yesterday.  

Rickie pushed way too hard to make up strokes and it cost him more.  Right now the cut line is +4 so he's got to have a really good round today to make the cut, especially if the leaders keep playing well.  

I was a bit disappointed Phil was E for the day, I thought he'd have been more in contention.  Dustin Johnson +1 started out well but also faded on the back 9, hopefully he can put together a good round today.  Rory has some strokes to make up and Sergio is in contention as he usually is on the first few days.  

Rickie has had major problems getting off to good starts in majors. It's been his biggest hurdle. Even in his good top 5s and top-10s, a lot of those finishes came because of good weekends, not good starts. It's the opposite of Sergio. Sergio used to always put himself in position and choke on Sunday. Rickie's always shooting himself out of it early and trying to play catch up.

Edited by ChrisP

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Here's the video of Els' putts on the first hole.

He looks verrry handsy with his stroke - not using the shoulder rock well.

12 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Why would one of the longest hitters in the game, lay-up from 244 yards on 15? Did I miss something? Was he in the trees? Was he blocked out? I know the wind was blowing, and Jason Day doesn't carry a hybrid or 5-wood, but he could of hit a cut 3-wood in the bunker, and made 5 most of the time. 

That hole is really interesting strategically. When you bomb a drive you get a downhill lie. The lower ball flight makes it harder to hold the green. If you go at the pin on the left trying for an eagle, the water on the back side on hole 16 may come into play. If the grass holds you up on the back side of the green you have a pitch to a narrow, elevated green sloping away from you into water. If you're in that position, it kind of reminds me of Riviera's 10th.

Add some wind (will it balloon the shot or knock it down?) and going for the left side of the green becomes a real crap-shoot. I agree going for it in 2 the right side of the green is a viable option, but then the distance to the pin increases your chance of a 3-putt or sand/chip/pitch +2 putt. So it may not be a much better option than laying up for a (hoped) wedge and putt. It probably depends on what you think your strengths are generally and on the day.

29 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Rickie pushed way too hard to make up strokes and it cost him more.

I agree. Likely pressing out of the gate.

Kevin

No idea why the commentator just apologized for "inappropriate language" from Ian Poulter; driving it into the woods off the second tee as Poulter just did, I think his language was entirely appropriate for the circumstances.

Edited by ScouseJohnny
  • Upvote 1

I'm disappointed in the Masters and Augusta for allowing these commentators on the air. How did they not vet these clowns better?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something...is there any way folks are watching guys not in these two 'featured' pairings?

These guys have all of 6 guys to worry about and they can't even keep track of whether someone is playing a par 4 or par 5. Calling Bubba's tap in for 5 on #2 a bogey. Such a joke.

Just now, skydog said:

I'm disappointed in the Masters and Augusta for allowing these commentators on the air. How did they not vet these clowns better?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something...is there any way folks are watching guys not in these two 'featured' pairings?

It's an Internet stream, unaffiliated with any television network. You get who's available.

Not until the first group reaches Amen Corner.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

9 minutes ago, skydog said:

These guys have all of 6 guys to worry about and they can't even keep track of whether someone is playing a par 4 or par 5. Calling Bubba's tap in for 5 on #2 a bogey. Such a joke.

Glad I didn't imagine that. They are utterly hopeless...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Interesting stats:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!