IGNORED

2016 Masters Toonamint Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, dchoye said:

Surprised when I saw Bernard L name in 3rd place.  Props to the old guy . 

Old Guy! He is two years older than me!!!!:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is it w/approaching 50, 60 that invigorates great players? Nicklaus in 86, Norman and Watson at the BO, now Langer. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

22 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

What is it w/approaching 50, 60 that invigorates great players? Nicklaus in 86, Norman and Watson at the BO, now Langer. 

Outside of Nicklaus in 1986, the common variable between the last three is wind. The winds were nasty at Royal Birkdale and Turnberry those two years, like it has been at Augusta this year. Combine extensive course knowledge with a lower swing speed, and you get a good formula for success where younger players' instincts to overpower the conditions work against them.

An old man's nerves ultimately caught up to Norman and Watson, as it has done to Fred Couples here in recent years. Langer likely won't be able to keep up in today's calm conditions.

• Upvote 2

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

33 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'm waiting for some golfer to break his age in a major.

A number of golfers have done it on the Champions Tour, and Sam Snead did it in a regular PGA event:

http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/ageshooters.htm

17 hours ago, RJH999 said:

Also I really get tired of this bullshit "Augusta lore and magic" type garbage.

http://deadspin.com/how-augusta-national-became-golfs-north-korea-1709794444

And Nantz only helps glorify the fictional history that Augusta has.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching this tournament but the history at that place makes me really wish the public wasn't so in love with that place.

• Upvote 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

14 hours ago, skydog said:

I think Americans are the only golf fans who aren't unanimous homers for their own. Kind of confusing to me.

I am a homer and will be happy with any of the American contenders. I'll be happy with DJ, Sneds, or Spieth.

I'm with you!

14 hours ago, ChrisP said:

We get it. You don't like Spieth. Don't need to broadcast it with every single post.

The Rory fan clubbers are the biggest excuse makers as well. If only Rory could putt, if only Rory could get some lucky bounces if only Rory. if if if, the list is a mile long. Funny because I don't hear Rory making excuses. It's a cool thing to hate Spieth, come on everybody we still got room on the bandwagon for you.. I guess when you get to the level where people hate you. You must be doing something right on the golf course.

13 hours ago, Gunther said:

If Spieth is pressing on those 2 holes tomorrow, he'll win.  The problem was that he was tapping the brakes towards the end of the round the past 2 days.  

If conditions were going to be tough tomorrow, I think it would  be Jordan's going away.  Given benign conditions, I think Rory and Day could make a charge.  But, Jordan can go low here if needbe.  He's in the driver's seat but by no means a lock. Langer and Smylie have no chance.  It'll be one of those 3, I believe.

Langer and Smylie have no chance? I could see saying they probably won't win. To say they have no chance though well, is just a pretty ignorant.

With the bizarre wind conditions, Billy Horschel ball was pushed off the green by the gusty winds.

Just a thought, under the circumstances, if he would had grabbed his ball to prevent it from rolling into the water?

Would taking the penalty for picking up his ball in motion, then play the next shot greenside, an option for a player if he reacts quick enough?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

4 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

Langer and Smylie have no chance? I could see saying they probably won't win. To say they have no chance though well, is just a pretty ignorant.

We'll see.  

Logic on Langer is that conditions are improved.  I think -7 or -8 probably wins.  Coming in to greens with hybrids is not conducive to low scoring.  

Smylie, I believe will get caught up in the spectacle, although he has shown he can go very deep.  I just don't believe he will today because of what's at stake and this being his 1st time.  These young guys are better prepared than years past, to be sure, but I don't see it with the seasoned studs that are in contention today.

So, I wouldn't call my opinion ignorant although you're entitled to your opinion.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Found Dustin Johnson at 10-1 this morning. Not a bad bargain. I think a guy like DJ can take advantage of these par-5s today which all mostly funnel towards the pin and have eagle written all over it. Today's a day where a guy with length has an advantage. A day like today is tough for a leader going in because of all the scoring possibilities. Jordan is probably going to have to shoot 67 or 68 to win because I think Day or DJ or Matsuyama can up a very low number.

I'll say this about Jordan....he denies he hasn't been struggling this year, but he's been a bit off and you've seen it at times this week. The biggest issue with Jordan this year has been consistency throughout a round and the last 2 days you've seen a lot of inconsistency. He's mishit his wedges a lot more than last year and mis-hit shots more often. HIs putter, though, has been his saving grace this week.

Edited by ChrisP

1 hour ago, RFKFREAK said:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching this tournament but the history at that place makes me really wish the public wasn't so in love with that place.

I'd say it's #3 for me USO, BO, Masters, PGA. The best thing about The Masters is the course and the limited commercials and IBM's handling of streaming and its website. That it's the first major of the year after winter gives it a little more luster too. It'll be interesting to see if the PGA gets rescheduled to February how that affects The Masters.

I have to spend the rest of the week removing that sticky treacly residue that is sentimentality emitted by CBS.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 minutes ago, Gunther said:

We'll see.  

Logic on Langer is that conditions are improved.  I think -7 or -8 probably wins.  Coming in to greens with hybrids is not conducive to low scoring.  

Smylie, I believe will get caught up in the spectacle, although he has shown he can go very deep.  I just don't believe he will today because of what's at stake and this being his 1st time.  These young guys are better prepared than years past, to be sure, but I don't see it with the seasoned studs that are in contention today.

So, I wouldn't call my opinion ignorant although you're entitled to your opinion.

And I agree with everything you just said. What I don't agree with is you saying "No chance" You do know what no chance means don't you? The odds of you winning the lotery are much better I guess. 

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'd say it's #3 for me USO, BO, Masters, PGA. The best thing about The Masters is the course and the limited commercials and IBM's handling of streaming and its website. That it's the first major of the year after winter gives it a little more luster too. It'll be interesting to see if the PGA gets rescheduled to February how that affects The Masters.

I have to spend the rest of the week removing that sticky treacly residue that is sentimentality emitted by CBS.

I love the Masters, but I wish it had more TV time. Even an hour more a day would be nice. It doesn't have to be like the British or US Open where it's 12 hours a day, but at least give me 5-6 on Thurday and Friday and an extra hour on Saturday.

US Open is probably my favorite with the Open and Masters a close 2nd. The main reason I love the Masters is not just the course, but the way they set it up Sunday. They set it up for a lot of eagles and birdies and it has the potential to get really exciting if the leaderboard is bunched up.

8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Found Dustin Johnson at 10-1 this morning. Not a bad bargain. I think a guy like DJ can take advantage of these par-5s today which all mostly funnel towards the pin and have eagle written all over it. Today's a day where a guy with length has an advantage. A day like today is tough for a leader going in because of all the scoring possibilities. Jordan is probably going to have to shoot 67 or 68 to win because I think Day or DJ or Matsuyama can up a very low number.

I'll say this about Jordan....he denies he hasn't been struggling this year, but he's been a bit off and you've seen it at times this week. The biggest issue with Jordan this year has been consistency throughout a round and the last 2 days you've seen a lot of inconsistency. He's mishit his wedges a lot more than last year and mis-hit shots more often. HIs putter, though, has been his saving grace this week.

The field is almost certainly getting to 5-under today: there are so many chasers who play well at Augusta, that it's hard to imagine a scenario where none of them take advantage of ideal scoring conditions. Jordan likely needs a round in the 60s to win, but the 74-73 he's posted the last two days didn't look affected by the wind at all. The 38s on the back nine are a red flag to me, and I think the best score he can shoot in his form of the last two days is a 70. That's a playoff, at best.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

17 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I love the Masters, but I wish it had more TV time. Even an hour more a day would be nice. It doesn't have to be like the British or US Open where it's 12 hours a day, but at least give me 5-6 on Thurday and Friday and an extra hour on Saturday.

US Open is probably my favorite with the Open and Masters a close 2nd. The main reason I love the Masters is not just the course, but the way they set it up Sunday. They set it up for a lot of eagles and birdies and it has the potential to get really exciting if the leaderboard is bunched up.

My favorite tournaments to watch in order.

1# The U.S. Open

2# The Players Championship.

3# The Masters

4# The PGA Championship

5# The Open

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Langer is playing in his 33rd Masters - he knows the course so well that the tougher things get the more the inexperienced players fall by the wayside and those who know how to play Augusta can use that experience to their advantage.  Pretty much the same with links golf - those who know how  to play it have a big advantage over those that don't.

I'm wondering now if Augusta National Greenskeeper is feeling that they finally have it right from the standpoint of a course that is long enough to keep bombers from running away and short enough for a Senior Tour guy to still be able to compete.  Or perhaps it is just a case of the "perfect wind storm" that has made experience a bit more important than length.

Also wondering what Rory is thinking about Augusta at this point - after two trips around in the weekend in the final pairing over the span of a few years his performances have been decidedly poor and he has exhibited very little patience or respect for how to play the course (like his gaffe at 11 where anybody who has watched or played in the Masters knows that you don't try to hook the ball onto the green from the left side)   Spieth did not play all that well but he excelled at making the correct recovery shots and capitalizing when he had birdie opportunities - Rory on the other hand just keep making mistakes and did not capitalize on any of his good shots.

Edited by Coronagolfman

1 hour ago, RFKFREAK said:

Nantz and CBS get the honor of doing the Masters every year because they do glorify and pay homage to the event in a way unlike any other tournament is broadcast.  Augusta revels in the aspect of the lore and the mystery and the exclusivity of their club and you can bet that if CBS doesn't play those aspects up enough then they hear about it.

I think Nantz really blew it on the interview with Smiley in the Butler Cabin - he totally forgot golf for the moment and was quizzing the kid in depth about living at home and what kind of car he drives (I think he wanted to get the kid to say he drives an '88 Volkswagon or something like that to play up on the rags-to-riches angle) - I would rather have liked to hear about the kid's golf or his thinking during the round compared to his lifestyle.

Note: This thread is 2929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!