IGNORED

2016 Masters Toonamint Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

There are certain social situations in which you just grin and bear it; this was one such occasion for Mr. Spieth. A smile and a pat on the back or handshake for the winner wouldn't have killed him, would it?

Faldo would have been a fun choice, but I'm not sure Sir Nick is the perfect presenter of green jackets; even though it was in good humour, look for the time he came down to Woosie's height (so to speak).

Sometimes when you're in total shock within yourself (as I think he was), you're at a total loss. He may have given him a handshake and a pat. They cut away pretty quick so who knows. But I think Jordan was just sick to the inner core as was seen by the fact he nearly fell over. We forget sometimes he's only 22 years old.

A part of me feels bad for Willett. You go on ESPN.com and they don't even care that he won...it's Spieth's picture and all about his loss. Turned on the radio and all they're talking about is Spieth. Reminds me of when Paul Lawrie won the 99 Open Champ. No one is paying attention to who won...just who lost.

Willett's a solid player. Not sure he'll win another major, but I think he'll contend for more and make some Ryder Cup teams.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, mtsalmela80 said:

I wouldnt say its bad for golf, but it was quite an underwhelming ending. Any of the other top players would have had an exciting story, Spieth, Rory, Day, even Langer. This is the worst possible outcome for a major, when you have several great stories behind other players winning, and some fairly unknown comes up and wins.

How well known was the guy in your avatar when he brought home the 1991 PGA? I think that was a great story....

38 minutes ago, mtsalmela80 said:

I wouldnt say its bad for golf, but it was quite an underwhelming ending. Any of the other top players would have had an exciting story, Spieth, Rory, Day, even Langer. This is the worst possible outcome for a major, when you have several great stories behind other players winning, and some fairly unknown comes up and wins.

No 12 in world rankings isn't exactly 'fairly unknown'! 

He's known on European tour just not so much on pga tour. 

Must be similar to Keegan Bradley or Dufner winning USPGA. To us they are just USPGA players making up the numbers, but in USA I guess they were considered potential major champs when they won.

Edited by Pete

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Ahh, so glad to see that TGC still has no idea why some people don't like Spieth and once again are trying to force feed him to us. :naughty:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Probably the most dramatic finish in a major since Paul Lawrie defeated Jean Van De Velde in Carnoustie 1999. Like Lawrie I'm sure Danny will go on to greater things. As for Jordon Spieth he will live and learn and no doubt add a few more majors to his collection...

5 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

A part of me feels bad for Willett. You go on ESPN.com and they don't even care that he won...it's Spieth's picture and all about his loss. Turned on the radio and all they're talking about is Spieth. Reminds me of when Paul Lawrie won the 99 Open Champ. No one is paying attention to who won...just who lost.

Willett's a solid player. Not sure he'll win another major, but I think he'll contend for more and make some Ryder Cup teams.

Good post.

This is mainstream media,always looking for sensationalism never mind the guy who actually won.It's normal.It also happened to Stewart Cink when Watson blew it at Turnberry...it's normal but also pathetic.

It has been commented on this thread that 99% of "people" don't who Danny Willet is,in Europe,in the golfing world,100% of "people" do know who he is.

America isn't the only country that plays golf.

Poor Jordan!

I don't understand why he choose the drop where he did on the 12th.  Still he tied for second.  His people need to remind him of that and all that he has accomplished on his short golfing career.

Lastly, although he was't friendly on the green jacket ceremony its because he was still processing his own grief.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Coronagolfman said:

While it is the defending champ who does the presentation of the jacket maybe its time they have a backup in case the prior champ wants to beg off - how cool would it have been to have Nick Faldo present Willetts with the green jacket?

That would not be a 'Masters' tradition / myth-building solution. Part of the whole Bobby Jones legend is living up to the Kipling 'If' ideal. You're expected to wear and part with your laurels with equal grace as you hear the whisper in your ear, "All glory is fleeting". That aspect of the tradition I kind of like / respect. It fits with the best elements of golf as a sport.

I wonder how many defending champions were actually close enough for it to really sting by the time they got to the cabin to turn over the jacket? I don't think it's a frequent occurrence.

It is a good part of Jones' story that he played great golf when he learned to manage his temper and emotions. While Bobby Jones may have done so in golf, though, much of Augusta National's history as a club does not really meet this ideal.

Still, as Jordan noted, he did push a number of shots to the right during the tournament and he just happened to do so at the worst time on 12.

Yeah. I think long in the bunker relying on his good short game would have been the smarter, safer play on that hole.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Props for him dealing with all the stuff after the tournament. Only douchebags are throwing shit from the sidelines being critical in this situation. 

Just saw his last interview, he keeps talking about bad iron play. Yeah, he was struggling tee to green all tournament, but pushing drives to the right off the tee were his downfall IMO. He did admit that it was Mcormick's idea that he come up this morning so that was good to hear....he didn't call him up.

His honesty is welcome, and some of us respect and realize why these are some of the qualities why we like him, other than the minority of prix slinging feces at 22 years olds that have gone 1-1-4-2-2 the last 5 majors. 

Oakmont would seem to be a course made for him if he can keep it in the fairway. We'll see how he comes out of this pretty soon. 

Edited by Chris E
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Are you kidding me? If I were him, I would be thrilled. He just had a baby. He's just won a major with a nice purse. He's not even in his home country. I don't know about you, but if I were a tour pro and had the option of being "in the spotlight" or being in the shadows of "someone else's loss" I would pick the latter in a heartbeat. He gets everything out of having won that tournament and he's a great player. Not like he didn't deserve it. I don't think he's going to cry about not getting even more attention, all things considered. If anything, I would think he would be happier about it.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Note: This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!