IGNORED

2016 Masters Toonamint Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To be fair until tonight Danny wasn't so well known here in the UK either. He has made progress bit by bit. I myself had heard of him  but didn't know alot about the man. But tonight he's proven to be a very decent golfer and will be an asset to Darren Clarke in the Ryder Cup later this year. Congratulations to Danny and comiserations to Spieth.

Edited by Pitchandputting
Predictive Text

29 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

A part of me feels bad for Willett. You go on ESPN.com and they don't even care that he won...it's Spieth's picture and all about his loss. Turned on the radio and all they're talking about is Spieth. Reminds me of when Paul Lawrie won the 99 Open Champ. No one is paying attention to who won...just who lost.

Willett's a solid player. Not sure he'll win another major, but I think he'll contend for more and make some Ryder Cup teams.

He strikes me kinda as Ian Poulter with the ability to close and not quite as much of a jackass.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

15 minutes ago, Scotsclaff said:

It has been commented on this thread that 99% of "people" don't who Danny Willet is,in Europe,in the golfing world,100% of "people" do know who he is.

America isn't the only country that plays golf.

As a European living in America, I find America is fairly non-jingoistic when it comes to golf (....the Ryder Cup aside :-P)....people just like to see a good competition. To be fair, Danny Willett was a 50-1 long-shot coming into this competition, whereas Jordan Spieth was practically the 10-1 odds-on favourite. The fact that Willett beat Spieth, coupled with the dramatic nature of the victory, means that Spieth's name will feature in a few headlines tomorrow. It was a great final round and culmination to the tournament, and that's what most people will take away from it.

12 minutes ago, Chris E said:

Props for him dealing with all the stuff after the tournament. Only douchebags are throwing shit from the sidelines being critical in this situation. 

Just saw his last interview, he keeps talking about bad iron play. Yeah, he was struggling tee to green all tournament, but pushing drives to the right off the tee were his downfall IMO. He did admit that it was Mcormick's idea that he come up this morning so that was good to hear....he didn't call him up.

His honesty is welcome, and some of us respect and realize why these are some of the qualities why we like him, other than the minority of prix slinging feces at 22 years olds that have gone 1-1-4-2-2 the last 5 majors. 

Oakmont would seem to be a course made for him if he can keep it in the fairway. We'll see how he comes out of this pretty soon. 

He's been struggling with his irons all year. The one comment I didn't agree with Jordan on was the one he made on Thursday when he said he feels like he's playing better this year than last year. He's not hitting his shots as consistent this year. He still has the golden putter and still has the same ball striking, but he's just making more mistakes with the irons. His short game and putter really bailed him out I think moreso this year than last, but he needs to straighten his irons out before Oakmont.

I do agree, though....I do think his game fits Oakmont perfectly. He's brilliant on quick greens and there's no quicker greens in the country. And it's not a bomber's course. It's more strategic, so I do think if Jordan can sharpen his irons and get over this loss, he'll be tough to beat at Oakmont.

Given the circumstances I guess it's only human nature to focus on who lost the Masters rather than who won. But Spieth is young enough to put this behind him and collect more majors. Whilst I think Danny Willet will go from strength to strength and prove this evening was no fluke.

Edited by Pitchandputting
Typo

5 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

He's been struggling with his irons all year. The one comment I didn't agree with Jordan on was the one he made on Thursday when he said he feels like he's playing better this year than last year. He's not hitting his shots as consistent this year. He still has the golden putter and still has the same ball striking, but he's just making more mistakes with the irons. His short game and putter really bailed him out I think moreso this year than last, but he needs to straighten his irons out before Oakmont.

I do agree, though....I do think his game fits Oakmont perfectly. He's brilliant on quick greens and there's no quicker greens in the country. And it's not a bomber's course. It's more strategic, so I do think if Jordan can sharpen his irons and get over this loss, he'll be tough to beat at Oakmont.

Agreed he had poor iron play at times, but I know I didn't imagine all those drives in the trees to the right. Do that on a US Open course and you're in 4" rough. 

No, he is not playing as well this year, the stats bare that out. Even putting I don't think he is as good, but this week he was back to his old self. I would have bet alot of $ he would have made that putt on 16, but I can't imagine the head screw he was going thru at that point. 

Edited by Chris E

1 minute ago, BruceMGF said:

So ... is Willett on a grand-slam watch?

:-)

Not quite, though he is worthy. He's legit. He's been trending upwards as we all know.

BTW, do you know the steering wheel is on the wrong side in your avatar? :-D

1 minute ago, Pitchandputting said:

Also have to say I was impressed with Lee Westwood. Think he still has a major win in him..

I think he might, indeed, win a major in the future - the type of major Monty won later in his career.

A much more composed Jordan after he had a chance to recover from the shell-shock:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/spieth-one-will-hurt/

18 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

He's been struggling with his irons all year.

His driving is down slightly too. Ballstriking in general is a bit off. What he was saying is that he's played better in the early year tournaments - higher and more consistent finishes than when he started 2015.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

2 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I think he might, indeed, win a major in the future - the type of major Monty won later in his career.

Maybe. But the past three out of six Open winners have been in their Forties. If anyone deserves a major it's Lee Westwood.

59 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

There are certain social situations in which you just grin and bear it; this was one such occasion for Mr. Spieth. A smile, and a pat on the back or handshake for the winner, wouldn't have killed him, would it?

Faldo would have been a fun choice, but I'm not sure Sir Nick is the perfect presenter of green jackets; even though it was in good humour, look on Youtube for the time he came down to Woosie's height (so to speak).

In all fairness, Spieth looked like he was in shock.  Literally.  At one point he almost fell over the chair that he had just stood up from.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Pitchandputting said:

Also have to say I was impressed with Lee Westwood. Think he still has a major win in him..

Don't know about the major, but this could be the start of a nice comeback season for him.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

7 minutes ago, bwdial said:

In all fairness, Spieth looked like he was in shock.  Literally.  At one point he almost fell over the chair that he had just stood up from.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ducked into a bathroom and vomited between holing out and the Butler Cabin bit.

Definitely an exciting Sunday - Poor Speith - I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that second chunker land in the water.  I never like to see something like that, a huge error, decide a tournament . .but it is what it is.  I was certainly not expecting Danny Willett to win The Masters but I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of him.  He won't be included in the "lightening in a jar" thread, lol.     

Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!