IGNORED

2016 Masters Toonamint Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

His miss all week has been that push right. It has been something he was working on before the tournament. I think he was stuck between that miss and the swing he wanted. That is why you would see him stripe a drive or stick an iron shot than block one way right.

They had a great angle on the highlight video. His feet are aimed on the left side of the front bunker. His clubface is probably playing his draw starting somewhere left of the pin and if it draws its at the center of the green. If it didn't it's near the pin. The blue circle is where his ball landed. 

12th.JPG

That wasn't him being more aggressive. That was him hitting a horrible shot. We like to glorify these golfers as infallible. Especially someone of Spieth's level. In the end Golf is Hard and these guys can hit some bad shots. 

They way some of the CBS announcers spoke you'd think he fell off the leader board. He tied for 2nd.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

1 minute ago, gregsandiego said:

They way some of the CBS announcers spoke you'd think he fell off the leader board. He tied for 2nd.

In a gut-wrenching situation he perservered well.

Kevin

Aw hell, disappointing for me but I'm happy for Willet, I've been following him for about a year now.  Had no idea he could perform on this level but good on him.

Jordan will be fine, I don't think there's a tougher mental game in the business than this 22-yr old right now; it's Tiger-esque.  He'll bounce back.  Last 5 majors, 1, 1, 4, 2, 2.  Pretty salty.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Did you see the video of him discussing this shot? He specifically was trying to hit a fade here to get the perfect number on distance. 

Then he's an idiot for playing a fade when his swing miss is a weak push. Combine the push shot with a fade swing just produced that pathetic shot he hit. His miss should have been middle long. The back bunker is still a safe play with his bunker play. 

Ask him what's worse, the back bunker or the water. Oh wait, he hit it in the water twice then put it in the bunker. :doh:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

20 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

His miss should have been middle long. The back bunker is still a safe play with his bunker play. 

And that's the point I was making. He was trying to give himself  a chance for a bounce-back birdie after two bogies in a row and got bit by the 1-3% bad miss in a bad spot.

Great ball striker, Adam Scott rinsed there too along with 7+ others.

Spieth still has an historic Major win per start percentage.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

21 minutes ago, natureboy said:

And that's the point I was making. He was trying to give himself  a chance for a bounce-back birdie after two bogies in a row and got bit by the 1-3% bad miss in a bad spot.

He had 286 strokes, He had 112 putts for the week. So that leaves him 174 non putting. He had 29 short game shots. That leaves him with 145 full shots and a handful of punch outs. 

So 1-3% would be 1.5 to 4 shots ending right on the whole week. Sorry, he had that many in the final round alone. Lets say he had 4 shots per round that ended up with that miss right he was fighting. That would mean he had a 11% chance of that swing showing up when he tried to hit a fade. Maybe more-so since he was struggling with that miss the previous two holes. 

I get he likes bounce back birdies. Sometimes just getting a GIR on a hole that you can not miss right on. He had two birdie chances on two par 5's. Let's say he gets a par. He's 5 under. He went 1 under on the remaining holes. He's now at -6. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

3 hours ago, natureboy said:

A much more composed Jordan after he had a chance to recover from the shell-shock:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/spieth-one-will-hurt/

Huge props to Jordan for that interview.  Easily could have bailed on it but stood in and answered all of the questions honestly.  I like him a lot more after that.

I think he comes back and wins a major this season.  The kid is too good. 

• Upvote 1

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

2 hours ago, Gunther said:

Aw hell, disappointing for me but I'm happy for Willet, I've been following him for about a year now.  Had no idea he could perform on this level but good on him.

Not often I'm right so will make the most of this one. Couple of quotes I made on here, first from 2012 second from 2014. I won't quote the article where someone used Danny as an example of 'who's ever heard of these guys?!?!' Many of us had and saw this coming a mile off :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

Huge props to Jordan for that interview.  Easily could have bailed on it but stood in and answered all of the questions honestly.  I like him a lot more after that.

I think he comes back and wins a major this season.  The kid is too good. 

+1

Have always been hugely impressed with Jordan Spieth and this reinforced that view. Seriously good roll model IMO.

Edited by Nosevi

Pete Iveson

Great final yesterday. I also feel a bit sorry for Danny, as there are so many people (seemingly mostly US-fans) that do not know him or think he doesn't deserve to win a major. Hey, that guy was no 12 in the world ranking before the Masters, in front of guys like Snedeker, Garcia, Mickelson, Z. Johnson, Koepka etc. And you are telling me you don't know him? Seriously, then one shouldn't call oneself a golf "fan".

28 minutes ago, disaster said:

Great final yesterday. I also feel a bit sorry for Danny, as there are so many people (seemingly mostly US-fans) that do not know him or think he doesn't deserve to win a major. 

$1.8 million should soften that particular blow a tad :)

Besides he does deserve it. Aside from being a really nice lad (don't know him but know people who do) he took the pressure and performed. Others didn't. 

On a different note, 5 Englishmen in the top 10 isn't too bad.

Edited by Nosevi

Pete Iveson

8 hours ago, ScouseJohnny said:

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

Who won the Superbowl in 2013? If I really wanted to know, I'd have to Google it. I'm not a football fan, (well, I am, but not that type of football).

Right now, Mr. Willett is (deservedly) the talk of the sports pages. Come 19th June 2016, chances are the newspapers will be agog with another major winner.

I think Erik is poking fun at the non-golf fans and not Danny Willett. We on this forum knew who Willett was as did most regular golf fans. He is one of the young, solid players from the UK that have come on the scene in the last couple of years. He has progressively got closer to the top and certainly deserved this win for his solid play on the back nine.

I don't care if non-golf fans know who he is or was. They may watch the Masters on Sunday, but that's about it. They help keep the purses high, but the real golf fans keep the other tournaments on TV.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, disaster said:

Great final yesterday. I also feel a bit sorry for Danny, as there are so many people (seemingly mostly US-fans) that do not know him or think he doesn't deserve to win a major. ".

I had no clue he was in the top 20 of the world rankings. I just don't keep up with golfers as much as I should. I know most of the guys who have been winning majors the past decade and a few others well known golfers.

Here is Danny versus Spieth scoring, 

Danny: 70, 74, 72, 67
Spieth: 66. 74, 73, 73

Danny
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18% (13)
Pars: 71% (51)
Bogies: 11% (8)
Doubles or Worse: 0%

Spieth
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 31% (22)
Pars: 50% (36)
Bogies: 14% (6)
Doubles or Worse: 6% (4) 

GIR %
Danny: 67%
Spieth: 60% (that's a pretty low number for a tournament winner GIR is King!) 

On a side note, look at how many British players in the top 10 (including ties). 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The announcers mentioned Spieth flew his instructor back from Texas to work on his swing on the weekend if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he managed to mask his swing flaw of the moment enough to play well, plus lucky bounces, but eventually it caught up with him.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

The announcers mentioned Spieth flew his instructor back from Texas to work on his swing on the weekend if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he managed to mask his swing flaw of the moment enough to play well, plus lucky bounces, but eventually it caught up with him.

His instructor called him Sat night and asked if Jordan wanted him to come back.  Jordan said, well, it can't hurt, so Cam flew in Sun morn.  Jordan didn't request it.  Seems to have worked, until the back 9.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Congrats to Willett.  

Jordan your still a great golfer and will bounce back

WRx has so many negative threads on Spieth   It's like the average mentality of a 12 year old there 

Great interview by Jordan thanks @natureboy for posting it.  He has a great head on his shoulders and was composed even after a major loss which is how a professional should act.  If he wins the next Major, the pain of this one will hurt a bit less.  

3 minutes ago, dchoye said:

Congrats to Willet.  

Jordan your still a great golfer and will bounce back

WRx has so many negative threads on Spieth   It's like the average mentality of a 12 year old there 

It always has been, I only visit there for equipment threads as most of the others threads are obnoxious.  We have our share of Spieth haters here though, seems being successful isn't "in" these days.  

Joe Paradiso

Spieth'll be fine. This happens to everyone. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

One of the old timers used to say something like " you can't win the Masters at the 12th hole but you can lose it there". Spieth was trying to bleed a little fade in there, even after dumping one in the creek 2 years ago. Maybe he'll learn that you never ever ever go for the back right pin. I guess back to back bogeys and major pressure just got the best of him.

Note: This thread is 2901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!