Sign in to follow this  
GordonRamsay

SM5 Vokey Wedge Fitting Question

Note: This thread is 1250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 posts / 2333 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys,

I purchased my first set of Vokey wedges about 2 months ago.  I've got a 54 deg F grind(14 bounce) and a 58 deg K grind(11 bounce).   Both have served me well.  However, there is a noticeable problem when playing greenside flop shots within 20ft of the pin.  The 58 degree wedge with it's face all the way open will not pop up the ball in "fluffy" grass since the grind an bounce won't let it.  The 54 will do it, but the ball arc the club produces is shallow(turns into a bump and run)...even with a half swing.

Being that I am a digger, and my wedges are "digger" friendly....what should I look for in something greater that 58 degree's for my style of play?  For 60 degree wedges there are 4 different grinds....and if I go to 62, there is only one choice.

OR should I just wait till the SM6 is available. 

I like having my 54, since it can blast me out of a bunker and the 58 is my friend in tighter lies.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I got to hit the SM6 wedges, the follow-on to the SM5 models, at the PGA Show in Orlando. I was prepping to interview Vokey wedge marketing director Jeremy Stone, and realized I had not hit a Vokey since 2008. So, at demo day I spent a half hour trying the SM6 model wedges.

To my surprise, I found I got my best results overall with the F grind. It got the ball up, and it went through impact so much cleaner - it seemed - than most other sole grinds. It felt clean in several different turf conditions.

The F grind is the "middle earth" grind that fits the widest range of golfers. As far as K grind, I can't say. From my notes, I did best with S or M grind on the LWs.

Before you spend extra $$ on wedges, I would have someone look at your swing, especially your set-up. Are you leaning your hands too far forward when you want the ball to pop out fairly high?

This Quickie Pitching thread might give you some ideas on lofted shot set-ups.

After you get your swing checked, go to local demo days and test out wedges in person. Then, get fitted.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, GordonRamsay said:

Hey guys,

I purchased my first set of Vokey wedges about 2 months ago.  I've got a 54 deg F grind(14 bounce) and a 58 deg K grind(11 bounce).   Both have served me well.  However, there is a noticeable problem when playing greenside flop shots within 20ft of the pin.  The 58 degree wedge with it's face all the way open will not pop up the ball in "fluffy" grass since the grind an bounce won't let it.  The 54 will do it, but the ball arc the club produces is shallow(turns into a bump and run)...even with a half swing.

Being that I am a digger, and my wedges are "digger" friendly....what should I look for in something greater that 58 degree's for my style of play?  For 60 degree wedges there are 4 different grinds....and if I go to 62, there is only one choice.

OR should I just wait till the SM6 is available. 

I like having my 54, since it can blast me out of a bunker and the 58 is my friend in tighter lies.

I've found the opposite with the 58 K grind. It does well in the rough due to the camber grind. But in the sand, that grind acts less like 11 deg bounce and the head slides differently.

The SM6 has the K grind still, but also has two other grinds with slightly less bounce, an 8 with M grind and 10 with P grind. When I compared these grinds on a flat surface, the M and P appear to have more bounce than the K due to the camber on the K.

The Golfsmith fitter told me the K was more for fluffy sand, which we really don't have here in New England as much. The SM6 is available now. I am going to swing by today and look again. 

@boogielicious talks about the different grinds. GR, being that you live in Houston, you have access to plenty of golf shops to try different things out.

@David in FL, could you help us on this? You have Vokey SM5 wedges in F-grind  56/14 and K-grind 60/11.

Another thought, GR. What shafts do you have in your 54 and 58 wedges? If you have the stock Dynamic Gold S200, this is a 130-gram shaft with a low launch profile.

In your RBZ irons, the stock shafts would be the RBZ 85-gram steel in both R and S flex, or 65-gram graphites.

So, if you have stock Vokey and stock steel RBZ shafts, there's a 45-gram weight difference between the two shafts. Some people prefer a heavier shaft in their wedges than their irons, but a 45-gram gap could cause major tempo problems. Plus, it appears you mainly use the 54 and 58 for partial shots.

Wedge designer Bob Vokey suggests having the same shaft in the SW and LW as your irons, but softstepping it a bit since SW and LW get used mainly for partial shots. You might shift to a DG R300 SL, which weighs about 106 grams. Get the 9-iron shaft template to soften the flex a bit.

Let us know what happens.

2 hours ago, WUTiger said:

@boogielicious talks about the different grinds. GR, being that you live in Houston, you have access to plenty of golf shops to try different things out.

@David in FL, could you help us on this? You have Vokey SM5 wedges in F-grind  56/14 and K-grind 60/11.

Another thought, GR. What shafts do you have in your 54 and 58 wedges? If you have the stock Dynamic Gold S200, this is a 130-gram shaft with a low launch profile.

In your RBZ irons, the stock shafts would be the RBZ 85-gram steel in both R and S flex, or 65-gram graphites.

So, if you have stock Vokey and stock steel RBZ shafts, there's a 45-gram weight difference between the two shafts. Some people prefer a heavier shaft in their wedges than their irons, but a 45-gram gap could cause major tempo problems. Plus, it appears you mainly use the 54 and 58 for partial shots.

Wedge designer Bob Vokey suggests having the same shaft in the SW and LW as your irons, but softstepping it a bit since SW and LW get used mainly for partial shots. You might shift to a DG R300 SL, which weighs about 106 grams. Get the 9-iron shaft template to soften the flex a bit.

Let us know what happens.

I really don't understand how the grind/bounce could make it difficult to hit a high shot, especially from a "fluffy" lie.  I can just about hit myself in the chin with my 60/11 if I want.  I find both grinds to be easy to open up, from just about any lie as well as out of the sand....  

Guess I'm not much help here other than to wonder whether it could be more of a technique issue than the equipment in this case.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I really don't understand how the grind/bounce could make it difficult to hit a high shot, especially from a "fluffy" lie.  I can just about hit myself in the chin with my 60/11 if I want.  I find both grinds to be easy to open up, from just about any lie as well as out of the sand....  

Guess I'm not much help here other than to wonder whether it could be more of a technique issue than the equipment in this case.

+1. Especially from a fluffy lie. True for ANY grind/bounce combo. Also if bounce/grind is not letting him slide the club low enough below the ball then I think it produces a bladed shot, not that it is not popping high enough. Maybe the lie is not as fluffy as necessary to be flop worthy to begin with.

I know opinion for flop is not asked by OP, but why waste a club spot in the bag for once in a few rounds shot like a flop, if that is the only reason he wants a separate wedge for, unless, of course, he carries only 13 or less clubs normally.

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

+1. Especially from a fluffy lie. True for ANY grind/bounce combo. Also if bounce/grind is not letting him slide the club low enough below the ball then I think it produces a bladed shot, not that it is not popping high enough. Maybe the lie is not as fluffy as necessary to be flop worthy to begin with.

I know opinion for flop is not asked by OP, but why waste a club spot in the bag for once in a few rounds shot like a flop, if that is the only reason he wants a separate wedge for, unless, of course, he carries only 13 or less clubs normally.

I have 3 spots in my bag that rotate out.  I do not carry a 4 or 7 iron with me most of the time and the 5H swaps places with the 3H.

2 hours ago, GordonRamsay said:

I have 3 spots in my bag that rotate out.  I do not carry a 4 or 7 iron with me most of the time and the 5H swaps places with the 3H.

Well, get you an ES sole Ping then. It's got relief on all the right spots for all kinds of shots. I don't know much about Titleist wedges, but I am sure they make an 8 deg bounce. She won't bounce much and will knife through anything I am sure. 

BTW, no 7i (gasp)??  :-O

Note: This thread is 1250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!