IGNORED

2016 Arnold Palmer Invitational Discussion Thread

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I know.

The fact remains that to today's Tour pros… it's tougher for them to feel any debt of gratitude to Arnie. And I say that as a guy who's met him and who looked up to him as a somewhat "local guy" growing up.

I have to confess as someone who started playing golf 10 years ago, Arnie means very little to me. As a student of history I understand his accomplishments and his historical & Current place in the game. I understand why people revere and idolize him, I just dont.
Then again I never watched golf as a kid and only watch sporadically now, maybe last hour on sunday. However I will watch alot of masters.

Just today I came across the below article.
I was fascinated by Adam Scotts reason for playing "Arnold Palmer",
So many of these guys revere him (I think), yet dont come out and play it. And many of those who skip it feel the need to contact him directly about their absences, like he is the Pope or Godfather.
I find that fascinating.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14993371/in-honoring-arnold-palmer-got-give-bay-hill

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No opening shot at the Masters w/Nicklaus and Player, but he's doing ok.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

You don't have to be at Bay Hill to pay tribute to The King.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The thing that confuses me most about this tournament is how to pronounce "homage." :-\

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

21 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

The thing that confuses me most about this tournament is how to pronounce "homage." :-\

Depends. If you want to sound snooty, it rhymes with fromage. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Today should be fun to watch. I'd love to see Day close it out.  I like seeing him do well. He seems like a guy who you could sit down and have a beer with.

Last week we had Rory look pretty untouchable after 3 days and falter, this week we have Day starting to do the exact same thing.

Rory fired a -7 65 today. I think he's the favorite for the match play next week. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day rhymes with spray. Coincidence?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I know I've said this before, but every time I see Kevin Chappell, I see Dustin Johnson. The two could easily pass as brothers.

I don't see it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Looking like a great finish.  Anyone else see the drop Stenson just took on 16, tried to drop in fairway after hitting it in the water.  Rolled up against the edge of the first cut.  Hit an OK shot, but missed putt for a 6.  

That's one I might've dropped in the first cut, might've been an easier pitch the the one he ended up with.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

And Merrit just chipped in for Par on 17 after a chunky chip, and made it with the flag out.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

So 5 different Australians won on the Euro Tour this year. Six if you count both Euro and US tours. Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie; Oi Oi Oi.

Annnnd Wikipedia is already updated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Day_(golfer)

Dude is on a roll.

No. Date Tournament Winning score To par Margin
of victory
Runner(s)-up
1 23 May 2010 HP Byron Nelson Championship 66-65-67-72=270 −10 2 strokes United States Blake Adams, United States Brian Gay,
United States Jeff Overton
2 23 Feb 2014 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship 23 holes France Victor Dubuisson
3 8 Feb 2015 Farmers Insurance Open 73-65-71-70=279 −9 Playoff United States Harris English, United States J. B. Holmes
United States Scott Stallings
4 26 Jul 2015 RBC Canadian Open 68-66-69-68=271 −17 1 stroke United States Bubba Watson
5 16 Aug 2015 PGA Championship 68-67-66-67=268 −20 3 strokes United States Jordan Spieth
6 30 Aug 2015 The Barclays 68-68-63-62=261 −19 6 strokes Sweden Henrik Stenson
7 20 Sep 2015 BMW Championship 61-63-69-69=262 −22 6 strokes United States Daniel Berger
8 20 Mar 2016 Arnold Palmer Invitational 66-65-70-70=271 −17 1 stroke United States Kevin Chappell

Steve

8 hours ago, Jakester23 said:

Today should be fun to watch. I'd love to see Day close it out.  I like seeing him do well. He seems like a guy who you could sit down and have a beer with.

Was nice to see. I think his comments about Spieth and potential burnout came from a 'bud' place and were cogent. Likely hard-earned perspective from his own experiences. Nice to see you can do 'PGA parental leave' and still work your way back into winning form.

Kevin

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I know I've said this before, but every time I see Kevin Chappell, I see Dustin Johnson. The two could easily pass as brothers.

The way Chappell played that 18th, I was sure saying "geez, it's like he's Dustin Johnson."  :)

Note: This thread is 2954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!