Sign in to follow this  
BigUnit68

Taylormade M2 Irons

Note: This thread is 960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 posts / 8943 viewsLast Reply

Anyone else have these irons yet? I am an 8 hdcp and about a month ago I was fitted for irons. Hit a few different brands and shafts but couldn't stop going back to these things.

I don't see a lot of love for these things just yet. I know they are supposed to be game improvement irons and more for mid to high caps but man, I just hit these things so well. I know they are newly released but why is there not more positives out there? I have been hitting them for 3 weeks now and ball striking has never been better.

Interested to hear some feedback from others who have them.

3 hours ago, BigUnit68 said:

Anyone else have these irons yet? I am an 8 hdcp and about a month ago I was fitted for irons. Hit a few different brands and shafts but couldn't stop going back to these things.

I don't see a lot of love for these things just yet. I know they are supposed to be game improvement irons and more for mid to high caps but man, I just hit these things so well. I know they are newly released but why is there not more positives out there? I have been hitting them for 3 weeks now and ball striking has never been better.

I do not have these irons, but I have hit them, I will reserve my technical knock for a minute.

They ARE forgiving, and they are stupid easy to hit, and they are long...

TaylorMade did try to debunk the loft jacking, which I understand why it was need to do in a sense...

Here's my knock... TM could've been a little better about the loft gaps from 7-iron thru Gap Wedge... 

4-iron: 19°

5-iron: 21.5°

6-iron: 25°

7-iron: 28.5°

8-iron: 33°

9-iron: 38°

PW: 43.5°

AW: 49°

I understand that the CG is so low, so they have to lower the lofts. I get that. But only having 3 clubs between the 28.5° 7-iron and the 49° AW could cause gapping problems for some... That being said that is the only knock I have. The launch angles are perfect for the lofts the clubs have.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will agree when I bought them the only thing that concerned me was the loft differences. But that concern has completely been removed since I've been hitting and playing them.

'Stupid easy to hit' is a very accurate description. I love the fact that I can now comfortably hit a 4 iron again...and get it out past 200 yds with relative ease. I really like the feel of the wedges too ( got the SW also)

All in all I can't recommend these enough even to single digit caps who want some extra distance and are slightly less than perfect ball strikers like me. The mishits are incredibly forgiving.

9 hours ago, trapdodger said:

Think the M2's would be good for a returning player? 30 cap...

Yes because they are so forgiving but if you are just getting back into it you may want get your swing straightened out first....then go get fitted and see if they are right for you.

@trapdodger... I would say if you are a returning player, as BigUnit68 said, straighten your swing out first, then if you want to spend $800 on them, go get fit.

But a 30 HDCP is pretty much exactly who the TM M2 irons are designed for. Higher handicaps who struggle getting the ball airborne with any kind of consistency.

I'm a 20 handicap, (actually 19.7!) and I just bought these. I have buyer's remorse after 3 rounds. I got club fit by the pro at my club, who's well regarded and was excited to get "my" clubs, versus the used Calloway x-22's I've had in my bag. 

When I connect they go far, but I'm yanking them left, like 30 yards left. I'm chalking it up to getting used to them, but so far, I wish I'd gone a different direction. If I could return them today, I would. 

11 hours ago, smsparks said:

I'm a 20 handicap, (actually 19.7!) and I just bought these. I have buyer's remorse after 3 rounds. I got club fit by the pro at my club, who's well regarded and was excited to get "my" clubs, versus the used Calloway x-22's I've had in my bag. 

When I connect they go far, but I'm yanking them left, like 30 yards left. I'm chalking it up to getting used to them, but so far, I wish I'd gone a different direction. If I could return them today, I would. 

Did you yank them left during the fitting?  Could be they have more offset than the X-22's.  I'd go back to the guy who fit you and see if he can determine what's going on with your swing.  Some places like Golfsmith have a pretty decent return policy if you've owned them less than 30 days.  

On 5/17/2016 at 9:31 AM, newtogolf said:

Did you yank them left during the fitting?  Could be they have more offset than the X-22's.  I'd go back to the guy who fit you and see if he can determine what's going on with your swing.  Some places like Golfsmith have a pretty decent return policy if you've owned them less than 30 days.  

This.

It has to be your swing...at least that is what I would try to fix first.  It would be cheaper than switching irons.

If you're a high capper it is likely an inconsistent swing that is creating the problem.

Why are M2 drivers swing weighted so high?  Checked the swing weight of a 2016 M2 Driver I bought.  It came in at E 3, a M2 3 Fairway at D7 and my M2 was at C8.  My M2 irons vary between D7 and D5. I went to my local Golf Store, picked a 2017 D2, weighed it on the store’s balance beam and it came in at D8.  My clubs were weighed on my balance beam.  I’m now going to back weight the driver, 3 metal and irons by wrapping lead tape under the grip to try to get consistent swing weights of all my irons around D1-2, driver a bit heavier.  What is very interesting to me is that I hit a slight fade with the D7 3 Metal, but fight a hook with the C8 5 Metal.  What’s up with the huge inconsistency in the swing weights of the woods and generally heavy swing weights of the 

On 3/18/2016 at 8:34 PM, BigUnit68 said:

irons?  Is this the result of mass produced product and lousy quality control, or am I overlooking something?

I’ve checked it several times, and backweighted it with lead tape under the grip and regripped, checked the weight and came in at D4.  Checked one at local golf store, with their balance beam, D8!

Next step.  Open weight port and see what weight is inside.  Maybe someone added heavier weight.

6 hours ago, Dutch7934 said:

Why are M2 drivers swing weighted so high?  Checked the swing weight of a 2016 M2 Driver I bought.  It came in at E 3, a M2 3 Fairway at D7 and my M2 was at C8.  My M2 irons vary between D7 and D5. I went to my local Golf Store, picked a 2017 D2, weighed it on the store’s balance beam and it came in at D8.  My clubs were weighed on my balance beam.  I’m now going to back weight the driver, 3 metal and irons by wrapping lead tape under the grip to try to get consistent swing weights of all my irons around D1-2, driver a bit heavier.  What is very interesting to me is that I hit a slight fade with the D7 3 Metal, but fight a hook with the C8 5 Metal.  What’s up with the huge inconsistency in the swing weights of the woods and generally heavy swing weights of the irons?

Well I know what driver I can safely cut to 44" and not mess it up. :dance:

I just bought these on a great sale during Christmas. Up until now I had Cobras. I lost faith in them after the sale. Clubs never felt the same to me again. Anyway, I am just now getting around to some range work while the weather in my area is still trying to choose between winter and spring. They do feel a great deal different than any club I have had before. Not used to all of the weight in the head. But I have been out of playing regularly for about 10 years. Just started back a couple years ago. I guess what I am asking is has anyone had such a long gap between new sets and felt like the new ones were so completely different they were like another generation that you didn't quite understand yet? I'm not giving up on them by any means, cost way too much for that. Just curious.

On 3/25/2016 at 12:38 PM, StevenR84 said:

For the life of me I cannot hit these decent, they feel very clunky to me.

Same here, something is just not quite right about them... plus, it seems there's a bit too much offset for my swing. They generally will head leftish... and then just keep going left. 

Note: This thread is 960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!