IGNORED

Golf and Alcohol

Tim Williamson
Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alcohol and Golf  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you drink when you play?

• Not at all
    • Rarely
    • Occasionally
    • Often
    • Always or nearly all the time

3 hours ago, Tim Williamson said:

I don't like clubs where the only beers they offer are Budwieser products or the other lousy commercial beers. Would it kill them to offer some microbrews?

Here in San Diego with 80+ craft breweries the pressure to not go corporate is huge. Most the clubs I frequent do have Stone or some other craft on tap.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

3 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

BTW, the poll result so far does not show what I see in courses.   I see more people drink than what the poll result suggests.

I don't think this site is representative of a "typical" golfer at a course...I'm not surprised by the difference.

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am too busy focusing on my game that I don't even think about drinking...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

23 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I don't think this site is representative of a "typical" golfer at a course...I'm not surprised by the difference.

Lol, that's a great point.  While not a lot of folks have weighed in yet, I do find this site to be full of sanctimony that I don't necessarily believe is carried forward in their real lives.  Could be wrong though, this might be the one site on the Internet that attracts only the pure.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Never, I'm not a big drinker at any time, but when I go to the golf course it's to play golf, nothing else.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

3 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Lol, that's a great point.  While not a lot of folks have weighed in yet, I do find this site to be full of sanctimony that I don't necessarily believe is carried forward in their real lives.  Could be wrong though, this might be the one site on the Internet that attracts only the pure.

I like to drink, I just don't pile it in like a frat party anymore. According to some of the girls I have dated, there are a lot of guys who still brag about getting loaded or blitzed drunk.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

8 minutes ago, Gunther said:

That's not what I meant. I was just saying that if you have a site dedicated to golf, you're going to have people who take golf more seriously than most, and are less likely to drink while playing.

- John

7 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

That's not what I meant. I was just saying that if you have a site dedicated to golf, you're going to have people who take golf more seriously than most, and are less likely to drink while playing.

True enough, but I still think a fair bit of false sanctimony still runs through.  It's human nature.  All good though.  People is people.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

10 hours ago, Gunther said:

All my golf buds drink so I drink most every time I play.  It's an event for us.  We don't run the bars much anymore so this is our alternative now that we're old.  Nothin better than an afternoon drunk.  Wake up the next day feeling great.

I don't when I play alone or if I get out during the week but that's pretty rare.

This ^^

2 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I suspicion that the golfers that "hang out" on TST are not typical of the golfer universe.  I would think in general they are more serious about the game than the golfer population at large.

Butch

Ah, hah! Some interesting comments above! I too smell a little sanctimony. If the abstainers are that dedicated to the game, more power to them! For me, I'm there to enjoy myself. Here's my usual MO. If it's a fairly early tee time, I'll show up with a full thermos of hot coffee and travel mug, a bottle of water, an energy bar, and a banana. For the 18 I'll be pretty dedicated, but many times we'll opt for an additional 9. Hey, we're there, right? If my game was crap in the first 18 I've found that a can or two of "swing oil" doesn't hurt all that much.

As for those who claim they play better when when biffed, their testimony doesn't matter, only the testimony of witnesses. I was in a league in which played a member nicknamed "Huey". At league field days (we had three), he would play it fairly straight for the first 18. We'd then adjourn to the pavilion for food and drink, and then we'd get the 9 hole scramble going. By this time Huey was three sheets to the wind! He'd play like a man possessed! For the life of me I could not understand how a man so wobbly could hit such magnificent golf shots.

For the record, I tagged the survey "occasional".

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Once in a great while, I will have a beer while I'm playing, but never in a tournament.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I put myself in the rarely category.  On a warm day I might buy a beer from the beverage cart on the 16th hole and drink it while playing the last 2-3 holes.  During a scramble a beer or two is possible.  Out of 100+ rounds last year, I may have had 2-3 beers total while on the course.

After the round, if the group is stopping in the club house, I will join people and have a couple but during play I really don't drink alcoholic beverages.

Brian Kuehn

Rarely, will I have a beer. Usually a light beer when I am playing a casual round with a friend and we are in a cart. I usually walk, so that make it difficult to have open cans of any sort in my push cart. As others have said, I like to focus on playing golf. I have fun playing golf. In the summer, when it's hot, I have to drink a lot of fluid to stay hydrated. Beer doesn't help hydrate you as much.

I also don't think it is sanctimonious to have this attitude and do not look down on folks who do imbibe as long as they keep play going and don't make an ass of themselves. We've all played with that guy and it is not fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!