IGNORED

Golf and Alcohol

Tim Williamson
Note: This thread is 1000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alcohol and Golf  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you drink when you play?

• Not at all
    • Rarely
    • Occasionally
    • Often
    • Always or nearly all the time

I don't drink on the golf course.  It's typically too hot and it would just dehydrate me.  I'm all about a few drinks afterwards... typically rum... sometimes vodka... never beer.

It doesn't bother me if someone drinks when playing.  I've never played with someone who exceeded their limits.

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My brother doesn't play golf and drink. He actually happens to be playing golf while he's drinking.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

12 hours ago, Psyber said:

My brother doesn't play golf and drink. He actually happens to be playing golf while he's drinking.

Reminds me of the saying, "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.":-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 3/18/2016 at 5:01 PM, Patch said:

I voted on occassions. Even then it will just be a couple of beers. I still have to drive home after the round. Even when I have a couple of beers, it's usually when I am out with friends/relatives. 

Another issue with me is that I play alot of golf in warmer, and hot weather. Alcohol and high temps don't collide well with each other. 

As for playing better when drinking, it's not impossible. There is a point where relaxation sets in before stupidity does  when consuming alcohol. A relaxed golfer will play better.

Other than lots of water when golfing, I would have to say my own personal addiction would have to be diet cherry dr pepper. 

I live in the UK where we are allowed to drink as much as we want and then drive. Some say otherwise, but they are only policemen 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

On 3/20/2016 at 8:51 AM, Valleygolfer said:

51-wDpw2jOL._AC_UL320_SR256,320_.jpg

I bet this helps with key 1, you just have to figure something out for the follow through. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, paininthenuts said:

I live in the UK where we are allowed to drink as much as we want and then drive. Some say otherwise, but they are only policemen 

How much can the policemen drink? 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

How much can the policemen drink? 

Seriously, I live in a village, and although most of the locals are aware of the drink driving laws, the majority take notice of them. As it happens I always tee off early, so alcohol isn't an issue. 

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

3 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

Yeah, I can buy that. I have been across that  pond a few times, and been in a pub or two over there. 

However, unless you, or a loved one, have personally experienced the drunk driver causing an injury riddled car crash, most folks dont truly understand what actually goes on. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Drinking alcohol while hitting the links can absolutely improve your overall game and I'll tell you why. After 2-3 drinks, your muscles will naturally be more relaxed and any potential mental anxiety will be less apparent. This isn't the case for everyone so let's not generalize this, but for some, this 100% helps.

This isn't to say the more you drink the better you get, after more than 4 drinks, your golf game can easily start to decline rapidly. Your muscles become too relaxed and the term "getting lazy" with your swing is very real.

1 hour ago, BrofessionalGolfer said:

Drinking alcohol while hitting the links can absolutely improve your overall game and I'll tell you why. After 2-3 drinks, your muscles will naturally be more relaxed and any potential mental anxiety will be less apparent. This isn't the case for everyone so let's not generalize this, but for some, this 100% helps.

This isn't to say the more you drink the better you get, after more than 4 drinks, your golf game can easily start to decline rapidly. Your muscles become too relaxed and the term "getting lazy" with your swing is very real.

100% agree.

• 2 months later...

OK. This is just between you Guys and me but I will concede that I cannot play golf without at least a couple of drinks, even if I have to tee off at 7 in the morning. It just stops an horrendous twitch that I will get on every shot I play if I am stone cold sober.  Last year I managed to get into the final of my clubs summer singles knockout tourney and was playing a Guy off plus one in the 36 hole final. I was crapping myself so filled up a health drink bottle with neat vodka and sipped it just a couple of times here and there. I had a couple of half time beers and we were all square after 36 holes. I beat him on the 38th after hitting a one iron off the deck to 10 foot receiving a handicap shot and just before hitting the shot I had the last slurp of that bottle of vodka. Childish and stupid but job done!

• Upvote 1

Call me weak minded, but 1 drink per 9 holes does help me relax over the ball when playing with my buddies for bragging rights. More than that and my putting goes south.

Never drink when playing alone. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I drink 90% of the rounds I play but I literally never get drunk.  Usually, I spend the first six to nine holes drinking at least a liter of water and snacking on fruit, nuts, and maybe a protein bar. Then I'll have a have few beers. Occasionally, it gets to five beers but usually less. And if I'm playing 36 holes, I don't drink at all the first 18.

"Witty golf quote."

Depends on what they have. There are some beers that I wouldn't drink for free and at the courses I play no pro bartenders so choices are few. If I am driving I don't period. 

Dave :-)

For many guys a round of golf is an escape.  One reason for slow play is all the temporary-leave-of-absence types who are in no hurry to proceed...the longer the round takes the better.  I get it and I don't get it.  In the winter months I am not averse to an occasional nip - to stimulate blood flow and promote clear thinking - but in the spring, summer, and fall, I drink water...and lots of it.  The once popular canine anecdote probably sums it up best.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers, Taite & Lyle, Laurel and Hardy, Skinner and Bediel, and finally booze and golf.

Note: This thread is 1000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!