IGNORED

Golf and Alcohol

Tim Williamson
Note: This thread is 1001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alcohol and Golf  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you drink when you play?

• Not at all
    • Rarely
    • Occasionally
    • Often
    • Always or nearly all the time

I've never bought a drink for myself but I've had playing partners buy a round a couple times and I immediately played worse.  So no, if it's up to me I don't drink while playing.

Shot a 53 on the first 9, then had a beer at the turn and one in the cart during my 46 on the back. Just saying.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, xcott said:

Shot a 53 on the first 9, then had a beer at the turn and one in the cart during my 46 on the back. Just saying.

And I shot a 43 one Tuesday night, and a 53 the next...just saying.

I don't drink when I golf. Unless it is a scramble. Then I just happen to be golfing while I drink.

Ian

Ian

On 3/19/2016 at 2:48 PM, Tim Williamson said:

I don't like clubs where the only beers they offer are Budwieser products or the other lousy commercial beers. Would it kill them to offer some microbrews?

In the L.A. area, even the public courses have a number of good microbrews.

• 5 years later...
On 3/19/2016 at 8:49 PM, Yukari said:

One and only time I tried it, I played very poorly.  Could not concentrate properly. 

I didn't think alcohol affected me unless I was fumbling and plastered, but I'm wrong, The bad shots I make while sober don't phase me. I simply move on.  A drink of alcohol, even a couple sips lately cause my self-control to decrease.  I've broken more clubs and slammed the ground more than I can recall just in the last few rounds alone. Bottom line, alcohol does nothing good for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a little surprised I didn't post in this thread before, but since it popped up, here I go.

Prior to ten years ago, I'd drink just about every round.  It usually meant a flask with some scotch (not a lot -- maybe 3-4 ounces) in the bag.  

I had my hiatus (from golf, more or less) summer 2011-summer 2012 and when I got back, I didn't return to the habit of drinking during golf.  I don't think I've had a drink on the course since.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I generally have one drink per side. Not sure that has much affect on my game or not….not seen much difference when playing otherwise. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

In the years since this thread first showed up, I've fallen into a pretty basic pattern.

If I'm walking, which I do 95% of the time these days, it's no alcohol until the 19th hole. When I ride, I almost never make it past the turn without at least one beer. 

The difference quite simply is the presence of a beverage holder in the cart. Too big a pain in the butt to lug around a can or two if I'm walking.

Edited by mcanadiens

I used to drink a fair amount on the course. I haven't gone cold turkey like Shindig but I definitely drink less. It's been years since I drank enough to get drunk, or even buzz, on the course. I'm older and generally trying to drink less but mostly I'm too much of a golf obsessive so I don't want to ruin my score with alcohol 😂

2 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

In the years since this thread first showed up, I've fallen into a pretty basic pattern.

If I'm walking, which I do 95% of the time these days, it's no alcohol until the 19th hole. When I ride, I almost never make it past the turn without at least one beer. 

The difference is quite simply is the presence of a beverage holder in the cart. Too big a pain in the butt to lug around a can or two if I'm walking.

Easy solution. Get a pushcart! I've been using my Clicgear 3.5+ for maybe 13 years. Still rolls good as new. Still with flexible cup holder that fits a reusable coffee cup, a fairly large metal water bottle, or a tall boy! 

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

For me not at all is what I filled out though I must admit that once or twice some playing partners have bought beers from the cart girls on one course we play (most that I play don't have it).  So I did drink once or twice while playing but it was genuinely an exception in 30 odd years of golf.

Not a big fan of drinking and playing, more for the fact that I get dehydrated than anything else

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

6 minutes ago, mdl said:

I used to drink a fair amount on the course. I haven't gone cold turkey like Shindig but I definitely drink less. It's been years since I drank enough to get drunk, or even buzz, on the course. I'm older and generally trying to drink less but mostly I'm too much of a golf obsessive so I don't want to ruin my score with alcohol 😂

Easy solution. Get a pushcart! I've been using my Clicgear 3.5+ for maybe 13 years. Still rolls good as new. Still with flexible cup holder that fits a reusable coffee cup, a fairly large metal water bottle, or a tall boy! 

I got a push cart (Caddymatic), but I find the drink holder to be not worth relying on. Having to always be mindful going up and down grades, annoys me. I have my water bottle in the pocket of my golf bag and save the beer for later.

On another note, nothing tastes so good as that first cold beer after walking 18 hot ones.

I voted “Occasionally” but that really does not answer the question which was “How MUCH do you drink”.

When I do have a beer it is typically only one per round which  has no impact on my game.   IF I drink has more to do with the weather, time of day & my playing partners.  If very hot, no alcohol since it can dehydrate me.  Typically not before @ 11am, I have no desire to drink a beer for breakfast.  If playing Client Golf I will not drink unless my client wants a drink. Also I have a friend that is a recovering alcoholic so never in his presence.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

I generally have one drink per side. Not sure that has much affect on my game or not….not seen much difference when playing otherwise. 

• Funny 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Pretty much a shame if you play Wine Valley in Walla Walla, WA and not have a glass of wine while there. One of my favorite courses ever.

Just now, boogielicious said:

220-221…whatever it takes….lol.

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Had a round last weekend where my back was killing me to start out. Cart girl came by, I had a couple of Canada's finest. Then a couple more, I was driving like I was 30 again, hitting it long, shaping the ball exactly how I wanted. My kid was watching the old man put on a clinic on driving & strategy. Too bad my putting was its usual self........ I need the Ping G400 of putters....

Never. I don't drink at all but, even when I did, I never would drink playing golf. But I do play with guys who drink regularly while playing golf and still play very well. The thing that I don't know is if the drinking hurts or helps them because they do it all the time. 

Bill M

99% of the time when I'm playing my home club, I'm walking and carrying, so don't drink alcohol (too bothersome to walk with it).  But when I'm on vacation or on a golf trip/round with buds, we're almost always on carts, and I'll get a beer or two throughout the round at least half the time.  I don't order cocktails on the course, though...like to keep it light.

I've never noticed it affecting me negatively, but I'm convinced it helps me from time to time.  When I'm not playing my best, it's usually my flaw of getting a little fast with my hands and out of tempo.  A beer or two seems to help slow me down.  In FL a few years ago, I was playing at a resort with my son and just kinda grinding through the round, but not scoring.  At the turn I got a couple of fairly light local summer brews to take along, then birdied 10, 11, and 13 (nearly an ace!).  Playing on HHI a couple of weeks ago I was in the same scenario--hitting it pretty decent but just grinding and not making birdies.  Tried the beer method.  Sadly, this time--no difference at all. ;-)  

One thing I NEVER do anymore is drink caffeine before a round (no coffee if my round is morning or early afternoon, or just my morning coffee and nothing else if my round is late afternoon).  I can absolutely see its impact on my game--really struggling with rushing the hands and keeping a smooth tempo...full swing, putting, everything.  Heck, on caffeine, I notice I talk faster than normal (saying a lot), and am a little jumpy.  So if I'm gonna do drugs (the legal ones) before golf, it's gonna be the one that slows me down. ;-) 

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 1001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!