Sign in to follow this  
Tim Williamson

Golf and Alcohol

Note: This thread is 1572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alcohol and Golf  

115 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you drink when you play?

• Not at all
    • Rarely
    • Occasionally
    • Often
    • Always or nearly all the time

113 posts / 13976 viewsLast Reply

Nobody drinks the "birdie juice"? Where I golf, it's pretty customary to take a little tug off of someone's homebrew after anyone makes a birdie. I was in a tournament this weekend and Saturday, a guy in our 4some had his version of fireball that was whiskey that he filled with "red hots" candy that tasted like fireball. And today, a guy in our 4some had some homemade rootbeer schnapps. I made 3 birdies today. It was delicious! I make wine and usually bring a bottle just in case there happens to be a successful birdie attempt. I don't see a problem with it. We don't make enough birdies to get drunk. And I shot a 77 today. Good times, good friends and just a little good booze. Cheers.

Generally nothing while playing. I will have few at the clubhouse or nearby pub afterwards, but I prefer to wait till the round is over. Unless it's a scramble or social tournament, in which case, bottoms up!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I put no because I play at least 3 times a week for exercise. Maybe one or two beers once or twice a year.

Almost never. Only time I've had a bit was during a golf trip with the club where we shared some liquor now and then. Just a little sip. Never brought cans of beer, cider or anything to the course.

I have a feeling that alcohol and golf is not as common here. Not sure if it's true for Europe compared to USA, or just Norway.

None. 

5 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

images.jpg

I don't recall seeing your response.  My answer has not changed from the other thread.

Depends on the weather, or which friends I am golfing with. Most of the time it's no alcohol. Especially in warmer weather, which is when water is my beverage of choice. 

When golfing, 3 beers is my limit. 

With good friends, maybe 3-4 beers in a round. None of us will get anywhere near obnoxious or slow with that much or we wouldn't do it.

With my father-in-law and grandfather-in-law, whom I play with maybe 3-4 times per year, we will usually have 1 or 2 beers over the round and will then have another couple on the 19th. 

When I play as a single or with people I don't know? Never. And I drink beer or vodka on almost a daily basis when I get home for work. But when I'm playing my game, on my own or with people I don't know well, I'm working on my game (while having fun too, most importantly). 

We've had more threads about drinking on the golf course in the last month than I've had drinks on the golf course in my life. 

Note: This thread is 1572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!