IGNORED

When Do You Wear Golf Shoes?

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 2922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When Do You Wear Golf Shoes?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. When do you wear golf shoes

• Always!
    • Always - if I have/remember them
    • Only if it's wet out
    • Only if it's a tournament/important round
    • I don't wear golf shoes

Golf Shoes, both for the physical side. I like the stable grip   The mental side of changing over to golf mode is important to me. That means a number of items emptying pockets, adding the glove. the shoes, sometimes the hat, or the jacket.  In my mind it creates the separation that this is where I need concentration and have some fun.

I don't have a pair of golf shoes and I find that a pair of hockey shoes or a pair of hiking type shoes are perfect for me to play and I use those shoes in all conditions.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I meant I wear them when I play in tournaments, not when I attend them. 

No worries, but every year I go to the Nelson, I see one or two.  

I'll wear shoes with cleats early in the season when things are still mushy then play in the True Links shoes when it's dry.  The True Links shoes grip like crazy in drier conditions and are much more comfortable than any shoe with cleats I've owned.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

8 hours ago, gatsby47 said:

Golf Shoes, both for the physical side. I like the stable grip   The mental side of changing over to golf mode is important to me. That means a number of items emptying pockets, adding the glove. the shoes, sometimes the hat, or the jacket.  In my mind it creates the separation that this is where I need concentration and have some fun.

I don't believe that you have a mental side to golf.  At least that's what we were told in another thread.  :whistle:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I am pretty sure that coming to a course, with stresses  arising from outside the course incidents and  life in general and not letting it go to enjoy a round of golf, would only exacerbate the natural up and down occurrences a round of golf produces and make you feel like shit and begin to hate the game. So again, for me, it is the simple acts of changing over to golf mode, like shoes, that give you hope that today's round will be special and memorable

• Upvote 2

I am pretty sure that coming to a course, with stresses  arising from outside the course incidents and  life in general and not letting it go to enjoy a round of golf, would only exacerbate the natural up and down occurrences a round of golf produces and make you feel like shit and begin to hate the game. So again, for me, it is the simple acts of changing over to golf mode, like shoes, that give you hope that today's round will be special and memorable

Nice post.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Always when I play.  Always when I practice.  As a recent convert to TrueLinkswear, sometimes off the course as well. The damn things are so comfortable - read a comment from someone here a while back that True's are "like walking on a cloud of titties" and can't think of a better description. 

And I am totally onboard with Gatsby's comment about the ritual aspect of switching into golf mode. Maybe it's part of my aging process but I've come to appreciate the ritualistic aspect of certain activities. Helps me slow down and refocus a bit. Plus I can always blame a lousy round on the fact that I picked the wrong shoes that day... :-P

Edited by Al B Tross

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

On 3/22/2016 at 3:30 PM, the fish said:

I wear spikeless golf shoes to practice and spiked golf shoes to play in.  Actually, most days I'm wearing spikeless shoes as my regular footwear (have a pair of Trues and a pair of Adidas).  Can't really tell the difference between them and regular sneakers, unless you look at the tread on the bottom of the shoe.

You wear your golf shoes as a normal shoe?

Doesn't that wear out the tread really fast?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

9 hours ago, gatsby47 said:

I guess we each need what we need.  I'm well into golf mode when I drive into the parking lot.  If it's a competition, I've usually been thinking about it all week.  I'm excited when I wake up in the morning.  I don't need a change of apparel to "get in the mood".

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

3 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

You wear your golf shoes as a normal shoe?

Doesn't that wear out the tread really fast?

A bit, yes, but for golf I only wear them to practice in, and I try to sneak over to the practice green or driving range most days of the week. And the Trues I have are incredibly comfortable, so it doesn't bother me that I'm wearing the tread down a little faster than normal.

22 minutes ago, the fish said:

A bit, yes, but for golf I only wear them to practice in, and I try to sneak over to the practice green or driving range most days of the week. And the Trues I have are incredibly comfortable, so it doesn't bother me that I'm wearing the tread down a little faster than normal.

Interesting.  Maybe I will look into those for my next shoes.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Within the last year I changed where I wore my golf shoes. I used to just wear tennis shoes to the range because it was easier. But as of late whether I'm playing 18, going through a full practice session, or just putting for a half hour I will wear my shoes because as I believe practice like you play. Since you will play in your cleats, why not practice in them.

Austin Sachs - Mid-level Amateur in the Eastern United States

WITB: Titleist 915 D3, Cleveland 588 3 Wood, Nike Covert Tour Hybrid, Mizuno MP-4 4-PW, Mizuno MP-T4 52, 56, 60 degree, Taylormade White Smoke Putter

I never wear them. Hate them for some reason that I can't explain.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

I voted "no" but I do have a pair of rain shoes.  I will wear them if it's muddy, otherwise I wear whatever - usually running shoes.  I've been thinking about trying some of those shoes that supposedly mimic barefeet . .because I  *love* hitting golf shots in bare feet.   I feel like I swing my absolute best in bare feet . .which I only do hitting into the net in my garage or, very occasionally, in a buddy's large backyard.

Every time. Most of the time when going to the range, too. I don't like shoes without spikes or nubs while playing golf, soggy grass or not. I also like the thought of going into golf mode and the outfit being a part of it.

Never wear them off the course though. Don't like the nubs when walking on tarmac, concrete etc. Also don't want to wear them out off the course.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Do any of you feel that the cleats impede your swing a bit?  It is probably due to bad swing mostly but sometimes my right foot not having the ability to move a lil (insert baseball move here) seems to throw me off.  I wear cleated golf shoes because for some reason i think we are supposed too and obviously i dont want to slip on wet grass but i notice that on dry it feels a lil too grabby

Does anyone else feel this way and are the spikeless shoes a good compromise?

Edited by sirhacksalot

Note: This thread is 2922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!