Sign in to follow this  
the fish

Hitting off Lie Board

Note: This thread is 1465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 posts / 4286 viewsLast Reply

I just received my last evolvr lesson, where we took a break from dynamic swing thoughts to focus on setup and address (I mentioned to my instructor that I have been hitting overdraws and pull draws, generally everything going left of target).  He mentioned that I look too bent over at address and my butt it sticking out too much.  I am 6'2", and he asked if my irons are over length, which they are by 1 inch, but they are at standard lie angle.  When I first started playing, I was fit for irons at 1" over length as well as 2º upright.  At that time I was swinging very steep and over the top, so I thought they were just fitting clubs to my (lousy) swing.

At any rate, when trying to fix my posture at address, I want to pick the handle up a little higher, getting the heel of the club a bit off the ground.  So I went down to the local golf store and asked to hit off a lie board to confirm I still need 2º upright lie angles.  Using my current 7 iron, I hit  twice off the lie board, both times making center contact on the sole, indicating I do not need a lie angle adjustment.

So with all of that backstory, my question is this:  Is it possible that I still need an upright lie, and because I set up with my current 7 iron soled properly was able to deliver the clubhead correctly at impact?  Or is the lie board correct and I just need to get used to reaching farther down to the handle of the club? 

Perhaps I need to adjust to the new posture at address before hitting off the lie board.  I very well could have inadvertently used my old setup when I went to hit off the lie board yesterday.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got a little confused by your post so if my response doesn't make sense I apologize. 

I just wanted to point out that how your clubhead sits at address may not be indicative of anything. Shaft droop and some other things can come into play that change the geometry. I would rely more on the lie board than observances made during set up, you're not hitting the ball at set-up. 

56 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

I got a little confused by your post so if my response doesn't make sense I apologize. 

I just wanted to point out that how your clubhead sits at address may not be indicative of anything. Shaft droop and some other things can come into play that change the geometry. I would rely more on the lie board than observances made during set up, you're not hitting the ball at set-up. 

Thanks for the response.  Here is the readers digest version:

• Instructor wants me to not bend over and stick out my butt so much at address.
  • When I do this, it makes me lift the heel of the club off the ground at address.
  • This makes me think my irons might need to be bent upright
  • Hitting off the lie board says lie angle is correct, but I think I am making compensations in my swing for ill-fitting clubs (as opposed to the clubs being correctly fit for me).
  • Wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation, or if I should trust the results of the lie board.

Does that make more sense?

You can try the Sharpie method - draw a line on a ball and set it so the line is perfectly vertical. Hit the ball. See if the mark left on the face of the iron is vertical as well.

I got fit a couple of weeks ago and the fitter used balls that had a groove cut in them.  It works the same as a sharpie.  Just put impact tape of the club and hit some to see exactly what the lie is at impact.  This was done after they adjusted for length.  Actually both go hand in hand up to a point.

John

Note: This thread is 1465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!