IGNORED

2016 World Golf Championships-Dell Match Play Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The good thing for Spieth is he played better this week compared to the way he's been playing and he won't be drained going into Augusta. If he had to play 36 today, 36 tomorrow, 4 rounds at Houston next week and then travel over to Augusta, that would have been tough sledding. He went 3-1 which is pretty good and can rest a little bit before this big two tourney stretch for him.

• Administrator
On March 25, 2016 at 8:57 AM, iacas said:

\Plus, if you get this prediction right it will be your first.

I really have to start betting on the opposite of anything @Gunther says. I'd have made a fortune by now. Quick, who do you like to win the NCAA men's basketball tournament? :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

image.jpeg

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

This has been a great event to watch and it's one of those courses which I think would be rubbish for any tour event other than the match play. Loving both semi finals for totally different reasons and it should be a really good day's viewing. Nice to see Rafa finally start putting together a few good tournaments with his short game holding up as well - his A game is definitely top 20 worthy.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Anyone else got tickets to the Cabrera-Bello gunshow? Damn!

Watching Day and Rory play is a lot of fun. They're both so damn good.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Great match so far between Rory and Jason...

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Yeah, that match was really entertaining. I feel like Rory doesn't have his A game right now, but he still put up a great fight against Jason, who probably does have his A game. Rory had his chances to win this, but couldn't capitalize. Great golf.

-- Daniel

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Feel like Rory, Jason and Jordan are rounding into or close to A-form at the right time...just in time for the Masters. Also feel like a lot of the other top players are in good form, like Louis, Adam, Bubba, Dustin, Rickie, Charl, Phil and others just at the right moment. This could be a very entertaining Masters this year.

I thought no cameras allowed during tournament play?

mpc.png

Steve

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Feel like Rory, Jason and Jordan are rounding into or close to A-form at the right time...just in time for the Masters. Also feel like a lot of the other top players are in good form, like Louis, Adam, Bubba, Dustin, Rickie, Charl, Phil and others just at the right moment. This could be a very entertaining Masters this year.

If Jordan wins next week (I think he's playing there, right?), the hype machine is going to go into overdrive for the Masters. It's going to be a fun week, yeah.

Also, the pace of play on these matches is horrible. There are 4 people out on the course, and it's been so slow. Rory and Jason's match took 4 hours. Jason and Louis are on the 11th hole and they've been playing for 2:15. In a twosome, even in a competitive match, I'd expect to get around in 3 hours. It's really too bad that people will watch this and assume it's okay for a recreational player.

-- Daniel

Jason is looking good here. 3 up and Louis hits it in the drink.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

It's amazing how many putts Jason Day makes when he needs them.  I almost wish I would have picked him in the Masters this year.  I think I said this last week but man is he fun to watch when.

Damn, I love match play. Wish we got more of it. 

Was pulling for Rory in the semis and Louis in the final. I like Jason Day and am happy to see him regain #1. But Rory is my guy, and how can anyone root against Louis? Just seems like such a good dude. 

Great Sunday, lazing around the house and watching golf. Did the Family dinner on Saturday, so Sunday was all about WGC. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

If Jordan wins next week (I think he's playing there, right?), the hype machine is going to go into overdrive for the Masters. It's going to be a fun week, yeah.

Also, the pace of play on these matches is horrible. There are 4 people out on the course, and it's been so slow. Rory and Jason's match took 4 hours. Jason and Louis are on the 11th hole and they've been playing for 2:15. In a twosome, even in a competitive match, I'd expect to get around in 3 hours. It's really too bad that people will watch this and assume it's okay for a recreational player.

You can really fly thru the matches with the dvr... I watched the finals in less than 2 hours.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Day has to be the big favorite now going into Augusta. I think at the top of their games, Day is slightly better than Spieth and maybe on par with McIlroy. Of course, the advantage Spieth has over both of them is he tends to be more consistent. My worry with McIlroy at Augusta continues to be his putting. Not sure he can get it done with the flatstick whereas Day is putting out of his mind right now and the rest of his game is pretty stellar as well. And Day has a good track record there. The question for Day is health. Always has been, always will be.

Edited by ChrisP

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!