IGNORED

Throwback question is today's low spin equipment making it to easy for Tour players?

Mike Boatright
Note: This thread is 2946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is today's low spin equipment making it to easy for Tour players?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is today's low spin equipment making it to easy for Tour players?

• Yes
    • No
    • Huh?

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

So, why not use a modern driver and drive 300 yards like everyone else on the tour?

That's the key, shoot to a +4 handicap and anyone can be a tour pro. Easy, right? :-D

The courses are to long for me I can't carry it 315 yards like these guys do on many holes like 489 yards drive it over a bunker an 9 iron in it's just not a fair fight.. I hit it 300 here and there but average 280.00 yards. Id say a persimmon id average 257.8 yards.

14 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

The courses are to long for me I can't carry it 315 yards like these guys do on many holes like 489 yards drive it over a bunker an 9 iron in it's just not a fair fight.. I hit it 300 here and there but average 280.00 yards. Id say a persimmon id average 257.8 yards.

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10737949

If you actually hit 10 yards less than Rory with old equipment (see video, he hits 275 versus your 265), you should pretty much be about 10 yards less with modern equipment. So, technically, modern equipment will not be a disadvantage to you. Article here.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Tee it Forward, your not even close to being at the PGA Tour level. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

12 hours ago, Patch said:

I don't think today's equipment is helping the pros that much. They are shooting pretty much the same scores from 5-10+ years ago. Maybe a little better. The same pros are still playing better than the other, less talented pros with basically the same equipment.

They are shooting the same scores partially because many of the courses they play have been lengthened over the years to offset the distance they've gained.  

Joe Paradiso

15 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Tee it Forward, your not even close to being at the PGA Tour level. 

Never said I was your starting to kinda become a hater towards me? I will say this either are you!  My swing is a whole lot better and more powerful than yours just saying don't take it personally :content:

13 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Never said I was your starting to kinda become a hater towards me? I will say this either are you!  

I was just honestly giving you an option if you are finding the courses to long for you. The USGA has the whole Tee it Forward campaign. It's a viable option if you just can't hit the ball as long as you need to off the tee. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I was just honestly giving you an option if you are finding the courses to long for you. The USGA has the whole Tee it Forward campaign. It's a viable option if you just can't hit the ball as long as you need to off the tee. 

Oh ok thank you sir.

8 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

Never said I was your starting to kinda become a hater towards me? I will say this either are you!  My swing is a whole lot better and more powerful than yours just saying don't take it personally :content:

I seriously doubt even your fastest swing is even 80% of @saevel25's normal swing. He averages something like 292 yards on the course, then can hit a really monster drive if he wants to. Just saying. . . :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

12 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Who can drive the ball further, Hulk or Superman?  

And an even better question, "Who cares?"  These pissing contests get pretty tiresome.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Who can drive the ball further, Hulk or Superman?  

I have to go with hulk.. No wait, superman.. No wait, magneto with non-conforming ball (tiny dot of steel right in middle of ball)..  

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

13 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

I have to go with hulk.. No wait, superman.. No wait, magneto with non-conforming ball (tiny dot of steel right in middle of ball)..  

I'm going with the Flash. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

That's not non conforming. There are actually balls made like this already. 

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

My swing is a whole lot better and more powerful than yours just saying don't take it personally :content:

No it isn't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!