IGNORED

Billy Mayfair Still Anchoring Putter?

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 2826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Did Billy Mayfair miss the memo about the rule change:

He's probably claiming to be doing what Langer is doing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

He's probably claiming to be doing what Langer is doing.

They mentioned Langer during the telecast but pointed out that what Langer does is much more pronounced. (I haven't seen him this year yet)

TBH, he looks anchored to me.

Just now, Golfingdad said:

They mentioned Langer during the telecast but pointed out that what Langer does is much more pronounced. (I haven't seen him this year yet)

Me too!

Scott

My Swing Thread

Langer does his practice swings anchored but they claim he moves the hand during the actual stroke.  Mayfair looks like he's completely anchored.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Langer does his practice swings anchored but they claim he moves the hand during the actual stroke.  Mayfair looks like he's completely anchored.  

I agree.

I wonder how this look compares to the video he sent the USGA and PGA Tour.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It doesn't seem like his left thumb is "into" his chest because there is some "drift" with the butt of the club on the backstroke and followthrough but it certainly seems like it's making contact. So yeah he's anchoring, especially when the handle is that high on your chest, the shirt isn't going to hang that far away from you.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

37 minutes ago, mvmac said:

It doesn't seem like his left thumb is "into" his chest because there is some "drift" with the butt of the club on the backstroke and followthrough but it certainly seems like it's making contact. So yeah he's anchoring, especially when the handle is that high on your chest, the shirt isn't going to hang that far away from you.

Also, I'm not convinced that his forearm is clear of his chest either.  Even if his thumb is a millimeter away, if any part of that forearm is against the chest, that's against the rules as well, correct?

It looks very close to me, but "looks like touching" could still be a millimeter away and still be legal

In my opinion this other putting stroke by Mayfair should be deemed illegal,:-)

Edited by dchoye
  • Upvote 1

http://golfweek.com/news/2016/mar/24/billy-mayfair-putting-stroke-pga-tour-usga/?print

Thursday, March 24, 2016

RIO GRANDE, Puerto Rico – By now, perhaps you’ve seen the highlights on television, or watched the video on the internet. Billy Mayfair, who opened with a fine 5-under 67 at the Puerto Rico Open at Coco Beach, uses a long putter and keeps it awfully close to his chest – even closer, it seems, than does Bernhard Langer, who this season has changed his stroke to move the putter away from his body.

So, is Mayfair still anchoring?

Mayfair, who will turn 50 in August and is looking forward to competing on the PGA Tour Champions, doesn’t have any trouble sleeping when it comes to his putting stroke and wondering whether it’s legal. He knows what it may look like to others, but in getting ready for the anchoring ban that was implemented by the U.S. Golf Association and R&A in January, he did his homework. At first, he called the PGA Tour to ask about the stroke he’d been working on, and then he went one step further.

“I had some questions on where my thumb position was, and if it was anchored or not,” Mayfair said. “The Tour wasn’t 100 percent sure, and they didn’t want to make the wrong call, so they said, just send a video in. I said, That’s a great idea. I sent one to them, and I sent one to the USGA, and both got a thumbs up.”

Last fall, Mayfair said he moved the butt end of his long putter off his body a little bit. 

“I anchored it (last year), but it never stayed anchored; it moved a little bit on my chest, back and forth. So when I moved it away from my body, it actually started feeling better because it freed it up just a little bit more. I’ve had to work on my short putts to make sure I don’t anchor those, tap-ins and all that. ... (but) it feels better than it probably did when it was anchored.”

:doh:

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

8 hours ago, dchoye said:

It looks very close to me, but "looks like touching" could still be a millimeter away and still be legal

In my opinion this other putting stroke by Mayfair should be deemed illegal,:-)

That has got to be the worst stroke from a Tour player I've seen.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

9 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

A side swipe motion. Weird.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...
On March 25, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Golfingdad said:

Yes, Langer holds the putter more vertical and away from his chest.

However, this anchoring rule has me wondering...

Once I teed off and my ball landed just past a bunker, just inches past.  If I were a lefty this would not have been a problem.  But being right-handed, I had to stand in the bunker to do a chip, pitch, etc.  I was standing about 18 inches lower than the ball because of this and the top of the club was very close to my sternum.  Now if I was DeChambeau and had those long clubs, it would be impossible to  keep them from sticking into the chest or hitting the ball with the heel of the club.  I wonder what he does in these circumstances?

On March 26, 2016 at 10:52 PM, SavvySwede said:

Trying to fade his putts like Bubba! :doh:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

5 hours ago, Howling Coyote said:

Yes, Langer holds the putter more vertical and away from his chest.

However, this anchoring rule has me wondering...

Once I teed off and my ball landed just past a bunker, just inches past.  If I were a lefty this would not have been a problem.  But being right-handed, I had to stand in the bunker to do a chip, pitch, etc.  I was standing about 18 inches lower than the ball because of this and the top of the club was very close to my sternum.  Now if I was DeChambeau and had those long clubs, it would be impossible to  keep them from sticking into the chest or hitting the ball with the heel of the club.  I wonder what he does in these circumstances?

14-1b says "intentionally" in the wording so I imagine if his club stuck in his chest during his chip, as long as he wasn't trying to do it on purpose, then he wouldn't be in breach.

Note: This thread is 2826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!