IGNORED

Billy Mayfair Still Anchoring Putter?

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Again ... They're not wearing skin tight spandex so nothing is CLEAR.

Also, a forearm anchored to his body wouldn't be against the spirit of the rule, it would be against the letter of the rule.  (See note 2 under the pic of Langer a few posts back)

So it would be blatant cheating.

I thought the whole deal was his arm and hand were braced against his chest, so he just decided to move his hand .5mm away from his chest?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I thought the whole deal was his arm and hand were braced against his chest, so he just decided to move his hand .5mm away from his chest?

That's how I understand it as well.  

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, colin007 said:

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

That's how I understand it as well.  

That would not be allowed.

The new entry—Rule 14-1b —prohibits strokes made with the club or a hand gripping the club held directly against the player’s body or with a forearm held against the body to establish an anchor point that indirectly anchors the club. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I watched a video and posted it where Langer explains his putting method. He anchors the putter on his practice strokes then pulls it maybe 1/2" away from his chest for his actual putting stroke. That is perfectly legal. Under the Anchored Stroke rule, incidental contact with your clothing OR your body due to your shape is allowed as long as it does not create an anchor point. 

So as long as the end of the putter or his forearm are not firmly anchored to his body during his actual putting stroke it is legal. They can touch his shirt.

One must also account for the fact that you are viewing the event on a two dimensional surface. This may be a little off topic, but such viewing of say Sergio Garcia's golf swing has given rise to a lot of misconceptions of lag due to the lack of ability to see the z-axis.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Only basing this on what I see, but to me it looks like his forearm is still on his chest. He says his hand isn't touching his chest, whatever, but it sure looks like the arm is.

Colin P.

• Administrator
17 hours ago, dchoye said:

I am in favour off the long putter too but I really think Langer is anchoring his hand or wrist close to the body.  I really think the rules committee went too far and should have banned the belly putter not the sternum putter.  Though I think the long putting guys that stick the butt end in their armpits and chin are should be banned as per rule    

How are you gonna write that rule? The method was disallowed. Not the means (tools).

53 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Only basing this on what I see, but to me it looks like his forearm is still on his chest. He says his hand isn't touching his chest, whatever, but it sure looks like the arm is.

So Langer is a liar and all of his fellow competitors are complicit?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would write it so that butt end of the putter cannot be cover by any part of the body other than the hands . The hands can touch any part of the body

1 hour ago, iacas said:

So Langer is a liar and all of his fellow competitors are complicit?

Has he said that his arm isn't touching his chest? Or just that his hand isn't? K not sure.

I think his competitors probably don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Colin P.

He has said neither are touching his chest. They are just slightly off his chest. He anchors the club on his practice strokes to get the feel for the distance, then he lines up the putt with the club anchored, then just before he makes his actual stroke he moves his arm and hand about a half inch away from his body. It is such a slight movement that you cannot see it on the television.

I use this putting style with a long putter. It has helped me a lot this year. It is perfectly legal. Stop whining.

• Upvote 1

Julia

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I think his competitors probably don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Just not the way it works. Competitive golfers always have an interest in protecting the field, whether it's financial or maintaining the integrity of the game. If a golfer sees something wrong (especially if it's costing them a lot of money) they'll speak up.

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 month later...

I'm watching the Senior open and McCarron definitely appears to have his hand anchored to his chest on his practice swings.  The camera has only been from behind on his actual putts since I've been watching so it's not possible to see if he's anchoring on them as well.  

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I'm watching the Senior open and McCarron definitely appears to have his hand anchored to his chest on his practice swings.  The camera has only been from behind on his actual putts since I've been watching so it's not possible to see if he's anchoring on them as well.  

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing.  I'm about 80% sure his hand is in contact with his chest.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

40 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing.  I'm about 80% sure his hand is in contact with his chest.

They just showed a view from the front, it sure looks like his hand is anchored to his chest.  

Joe Paradiso

Movement of 1/4" away from the chest would not be noticeable on camera, yet it is a legal stroke. 

Julia

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Movement of 1/4" away from the chest would not be noticeable on camera, yet it is a legal stroke. 

The trouble is, it would be impossible to tell if he was legal or illegal without physically checking it.  Maybe players who use the broomstick should be required to wear cycling jerseys so the gap can actually be seen. :whistle:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Not until I lose 30 lbs.

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!