IGNORED

Golf Gloves

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Just don't see any need.  Can't see spending $20 on half a pair of gloves that my game doesn't even derive any benefit from.

Wow, I just googled it. All this time I thought the reason for the golf glove was to protect the skin from blisters. I didn't know it was to enhance grip. So let's see, that's 2 accessories I won't be using anymore...

1. glove
  2. shoes

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

12 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

In 40 years, and more than 15 without a glove, I've never had a club slip out of my hands, even with playing in rain.

You know actually I think my hand direct to my Golf Pride grips is better than the glove in the middle. These grips are already sticky...

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

You know actually I think my hand direct to my Golf Pride grips is better than the glove in the middle. These grips are already sticky...

I have a perfectly good grip with just my hands. I also don't sweat a lot from my hands.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

42 minutes ago, natureboy said:

How can a glove get crosswise to the rules?

41 minutes ago, baller7345 said:

I wondered the same thing, I googled them and saw they claim to stop the club from twisting in your hands and some of them look like they were designed with a groove to put the club in.  That's as far as I took it.

40 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

If they are formed in such a way that they help you to make a proper grip or swing, then they would be considered a training aid, much like a club with a formed grip to properly position your hands.

Appendix IV of the Rules covers devices and other equipment. Gloves must not be padded (among other requirements). Some of the Bionic gloves (and some other brands as well) are Equipment Permitted Conditionally for Medical Reasons, for arthritis, due to padding.  http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!appendix-iv http://www.usga.org/equipment/medical/rx_eqpt_search_all.asp#

"Features, other than visual aids, designed to assist the player in placing his hands in a consistent and/or specific position on the grip" make a glove nonconforming as well (as @Fourputt said).  I don't know if some of these gloves do or not. 

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

49 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Wow, I just googled it. All this time I thought the reason for the golf glove was to protect the skin from blisters. I didn't know it was to enhance grip. So let's see, that's 2 accessories I won't be using anymore...

1. glove
  2. shoes

Almost every tour player uses a glove so I'm guessing they provide a pretty significant benefit.  If the best in the world think a glove is needed, I'll follow their example versus some unknown on an internet board.

6 minutes ago, rob0225 said:

Almost every tour player uses a glove so I'm guessing they provide a pretty significant benefit.  If the best in the world think a glove is needed, I'll follow their example versus some unknown on an internet board.

fred-couples-6.jpgAlmost every one...

Just now, gregsandiego said:

fred-couples-6.jpgAlmost every one...

Which is why I said ALMOST every tour player.  Having problems comprehending the meaning of the word?  I recognize the fact that they all don't, but I would guess probably over 90% of them do.

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

If they are formed in such a way that they help you to make a proper grip or swing, then they would be considered a training aid, much like a club with a formed grip to properly position your hands.

Ah. I didn't understand they had this sort of design. Sounds like it would be uncomfortable on your palms.

Kevin

5 minutes ago, rob0225 said:

Which is why I said ALMOST every tour player.  Having problems comprehending the meaning of the word?  I recognize the fact that they all don't, but I would guess probably over 90% of them do.

No comprehension problem. I was simply agreeing and supporting.....calm down! LOL

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, rob0225 said:

Chill a bit please.

Gloves improve grip for many. If your grip is fine without a glove, you don't need one.  It's not a complicated subject. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I need to get myself some gloves still. I'm not sure if it's some kind of allergy or eczema or what, but I occasionally have hand issues after golf where I have some kind of breaking out of my skin on the fingers (especially on the thumb sides of my index fingers). Just a thing I never actually picked them up. The batting glove option is kind of interesting, maybe I'll check some out.

2 minutes ago, Lilfrier said:

I need to get myself some gloves still. I'm not sure if it's some kind of allergy or eczema or what, but I occasionally have hand issues after golf where I have some kind of breaking out of my skin on the fingers (especially on the thumb sides of my index fingers). Just a thing I never actually picked them up. The batting glove option is kind of interesting, maybe I'll check some out.

Could be an allergy to rubber or grip solvent.   

Joe Paradiso

21 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Could be an allergy to rubber or grip solvent.   

Yeah, I've wondered it myself. The two things that make me hesitant to blame it are that my sister has eczema, and said she got similar breakouts, and that it's not a consistent problem. Like, I've played 5 rounds in the past 3-4 weeks. My hands only broke out once. It's nothing problematic. I have no other issues. I don't itch, my skin doesn't get dry or red, just some small bumps on my hands. So, I figure if it's an allergy, it's incredibly mild, and something that gloves could easily stop.

I usually buy the reasonably priced foot joy ones at golfsmith that are like $20 for a pair or $28 for 3.  I've always really like the ping gloves I got in Phoenix! :)

My go to is the MG Dynagrip Elite. They feel great and are damn cheap.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 4:37 PM, colin007 said:

These are my game day gloves - $15

I wear the cheap Weathersoft for the range.

mYJAhVzeP1tXd3_6F-BC5XQ.jpg

That's a sweet glove to put on your hand. Best glove I've ever worn.

7 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Appendix IV of the Rules covers devices and other equipment. Gloves must not be padded (among other requirements). Some of the Bionic gloves (and some other brands as well) are Equipment Permitted Conditionally for Medical Reasons, for arthritis, due to padding.  http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!appendix-iv http://www.usga.org/equipment/medical/rx_eqpt_search_all.asp#

"Features, other than visual aids, designed to assist the player in placing his hands in a consistent and/or specific position on the grip" make a glove nonconforming as well (as @Fourputt said).  I don't know if some of these gloves do or not. 

Having had a lesson recently, I found something out that may be of interest to some of you. If you hold the club out straight with your normal grip, someone else should be able to pull the club from your hands with little effort. If you didn't have a glove on and held the club this loosely it would twist in your hand. Apparently the average amateur golfer grips the club far to tightly. Anyway, that's what my pro said 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Note: This thread is 2947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!