IGNORED

What ball, and why

Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently not playing much golf because I moved for work. Ideally the Titleist NXT but whatever I can get my hands on that are used. New 3-piece and upward fancy balls are too expensive until I get my swing so well grooved that I don't lose an expensive ball. Mostly on the used 3 piece balls from any decent manufacturer

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

I recently tried the Snell Ball (three piece). I am now a believer. Much less $ than ProV's but I think the ProV spins a little better around the green. Once I got used to that....

• Upvote 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I always come back to Titleist ProV1x. I have tried literally every premium brand there is including Snell and Kirkland. I have all the confidence in the world in the ProV1x. There's a reason it outsells every other ball brand by a large margin. The fact I get them at cost makes them just as affordable as the Snell MTB.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

2 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I recently tried the Snell Ball (three piece). I am now a believer. Much less $ than ProV's but I think the ProV spins a little better around the green. Once I got used to that....

Yea, the Pro V1 does spin more.  The Snell MTB is more similar to the Pro V1x. But like you said, just have to get used to a little less spin around the green.

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

I always come back to Titleist ProV1x. I have tried literally every premium brand there is including Snell and Kirkland. I have all the confidence in the world in the ProV1x. There's a reason it outsells every other ball brand by a large margin. The fact I get them at cost makes them just as affordable as the Snell MTB.

It’s a great ball, of course.  But most of us don’t get them at cost ?  Not to brag, I can afford to pay $100 a dozen, but I would never do that... I have this thing about value / bang for buck

Edited by Denny Bang Bang

On 3/29/2016 at 9:59 PM, Osnola said:

What ever ball is on sale...I can shoot 100 or 90 with the same ball, so I really think that it makes no difference for me...Being serious, I have played $5 balls and balls that cost .50...If the more expensive ball makes your game better, go for it.  But I am convinced that a good golfer will still be a good golfer with a cheap ball and that a shitty golfer will still be a shitty golfer with an expensive ball...

You are exactly right (IMHO), I've hit ProV1s and Noodles, I found very little difference between the two but then again I'm 66 and have had 3 back surgeries so my swing speed is nothing like it use to be, neither is my game. At Dicks Sporting Goods they had 40% off Noodles, $8 for 15 balls, guess what I'm playing?

Now if you have a low handicap you can probably tell the difference but I certainly can not.

• 2 weeks later...

The ball makes little difference to me.   I use any ball in the $15-25 per dozen price range.   I have no preference whatsoever.    My 2 sub 80 rounds were shot with a nuclear orange WIlson Smartcore - I liked that ball alot ... wish they never discontinued it.    My opinion won't get anybody a nickel cup of coffee ... but I feel the ball matters very little for a mid to high handicap (presuming you stay away from the bargain basement rock balls like Nitro, etc)..

Edited by inthehole

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Time was I used balls I found while looking for mine.  It occurred to me, belatedly, that picking up found balls was indicative of poor play and an affront to the wood faeries.  Since that moment of insight; I've been buying my own.  The inexpensive Taylormade offerings are my current fave.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I just got a great deal from Dick’s on yellow Srixon Chrome Soft balls. I went in there to get a couple dozen at $20.00 a box and found out they only cost $10.78. So I bought their last 3 boxes. Between those and my On Core Avants I should have plenty of balls to lose in 2018.

The $14 mesh bags at Walmart of recycled balls are a great way to try out different types.  I have a 110 SS, but due to foot surgery will be trying Wilson Zips.  I just want a crisp contact and some spin off the irons. Low compression balls seem to chip and putt well. 

Not sure if they still do it, but in the past, Target Stores has  run a clearance sale on golf stuff. It was usually around this time of year, you could find some great deals on premium balls during this sale. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On December 11, 2017 at 1:23 PM, NM Golf said:

Same for me. I like the Chrome Soft too, though. That ball flies nice and feels great off the woods. I almost switched to it full time last summer. 

Right now I've got a few dozen Nike RZN Blacks that I got for about $10. My favorite is generally the Pro V1X, but about 50% of that is because it's consistent I don't have to do the yearly research to figure out which of the various TaylorMade/Srixon/Bridgestone/Callaway balls would best suit my game. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

On 12/22/2017 at 6:54 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

Same for me. I like the Chrome Soft too, though. That ball flies nice and feels great off the woods. I almost switched to it full time last summer. 

I  bought a couple dozen Chrome Softs last year, I have a Callaway VIP membership and get them for a little more than $20 a dozen. Not a bad ball, but I still found myself teeing up a ProV1 when I played in a money game or in a big tournament. I still have a sleeve or two left, I use them in casual rounds.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

A friend of mine lives on one of the nicer CC in Scottsdale and he walks every day. He keeps me full of PROV1/1x golf balls. I have several dozen of them since most the people that play the course use them and the range balls are ProV too. I prefer the chrome softs and I have traded some of my prov's for them. I never buy new balls and always buy grade A used at a fraction of the cost.

Trollin' is the life

• 2 weeks later...

I switched from ProV1 to Taylormade TP5. For me I picked up a few yards but still control my shots around/into the greens.

Edited by Pablo68

Some what off topic! Does anyone have a comprehensive list of golf ball compression? I tried to search for one online with no luck. I compiled one myself a few years back. Most on my list are no longer in production or the names are changed. Perhaps I could contact all of the brands I see in the stores for the information but I doubt very much that all of them would respond. Thanks.

Edited by BogeySwine

18 minutes ago, BogeySwine said:

Some what off topic! Does anyone have a comprehensive list of golf ball compression? I tried to search for one online with no luck. I compiled one myself a few years back. Most on my list are no longer in production or the names are changed. Perhaps I could contact all of the brands I see in the stores for the information but I doubt very much that all of them would respond. Thanks.

I found one from about 5 years ago, but like you say - out of date now.  Don't know of anyplace that would have that info now.

I'm kind of a ball free agent right now as the ball I was using hasn't been made in several years.  I'm going to start the year trying the Callaway Superhot 70s because I used a couple at the end of the year last year and thought the ball-flight, spin, and the amount of roll out on wedge shots were all pretty good for my game.  Its probably been a decade since my ball hasn't had a urethane cover, so I'm interested in seeing how the extended trial will go.

John

Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!