IGNORED

why so many tee boxes

Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Either someone forgot that there is a separate rating for Men & Women's tees OR The "Gold" is a blended Men's tee where some holes one plays from the "Blue" and other holes one plays fro

This is one way that golf (and bowling) are different from almost every other sport.  In most sports, you're pitting yourself in direct competition to your opponent, and superior ability can completel

That's never a problem with me, I usually don't play those back tees!     This isn't an issue with the course itself, I think its good to have appropriate tees for all levels of ability.  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I very much (respectfully ;)) disagree, and the reason is in @Fourputt's post that immediately precedes yours:

Yes.  At courses that still just have blue, white, red, you will find way too many men playing white tees that are simply too long for them.  It's a very smart move to add more sets and specifically to make a point to make the red tees something that is clearly not the obvious ladies tees.

In fact, I think if I was creating a course from scratch, I might just flip everything backwards.  Tournament tees are red, next set up yellow, then white, then blue and then black.

Also, I wonder how much cost or effort is involved in rating a set of tees?  Because, if it was not totally uneconomical, I'd also make sure all tees were rated for both men and women.

Oh I know why they changed and should have mentioned that in my post.  I totally agree with ending that stigma of the "Woman's Tees."

I just hate how the colors are so alike.  Its gold, bronze and yellow....  I mean come on.  Why not Green, Black, Purple and Orange.  Just something with contrast would be nice.

I don't care what colors the tees are just that it's a nontraditional option that provides men forward tees with ratings. Honestly during off-peak times I would be inclined to play the most forward tees if they had a men's rating and the course was wide open. I could get a decent mix of shots during a very quick round without having to play a par 27.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Also, I wonder how much cost or effort is involved in rating a set of tees?  Because, if it was not totally uneconomical, I'd also make sure all tees were rated for both men and women.

Just some extra measurements, and paperwork, basically. We rate courses with up to about ten tees all the time (six for men, four for women, typically).

3 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

I just hate how the colors are so alike.  Its gold, bronze and yellow....  I mean come on.  Why not Green, Black, Purple and Orange.  Just something with contrast would be nice.

Green tees? Think about it. :-) (Not saying it can't work, but still… think about it.)

"Hey Morty? Where are the green tees? I can't find 'em."

• Upvote 1

I'm neutral about multiple tees but was surprised when I saw a score card with the following tees, note the slope and the rating:

Black 73.3 / 133

Blue 71.0 / 126

White 68.3 / 121

Gold 70.3 / 123

None are referenced as gender specific but I found it strange since there wasn't anything gender specific that the gold tees have a more difficult slope and rating.

Your thoughts please

I should have mentioned that the gold tees are the forward tees.

7 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Your thoughts please

Either someone forgot that there is a separate rating for Men & Women's tees

OR

The "Gold" is a blended Men's tee where some holes one plays from the "Blue" and other holes one plays from the "White".  Blended tees are a wonderful option rather than building new tee boxes.  On the shortish par 5's one plays from the "Blue" and on the really long par 4's one plays from the "White."  One ends up with a yardage that is longer than "White" but not a long as the "Blue."

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I'm neutral about multiple tees but was surprised when I saw a score card with the following tees, note the slope and the rating:

Black 73.3 / 133

Blue 71.0 / 126

White 68.3 / 121

Gold 70.3 / 123

None are referenced as gender specific but I found it strange since there wasn't anything gender specific that the gold tees have a more difficult slope and rating.

Your thoughts please

I should have mentioned that the gold tees are the forward tees.

That's typical.  The gold rating is a women's rating.  My course is the same.  It lists the tee colors though no genders, but its obvious when the rating switches genders because you go from 5800 tees that are 67.8/119 to 5100 tees that are 70.7/129.

This is kind of why I think a proactive course would do well to have all sets rated for both genders and list both on the cards.  Or at least overlap a few sets so it's clear that they are inviting anybody to play any of the sets.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just some extra measurements, and paperwork, basically. We rate courses with up to about ten tees all the time (six for men, four for women, typically).

Green tees? Think about it. :-) (Not saying it can't work, but still… think about it.)

"Hey Morty? Where are the green tees? I can't find 'em."

Lime green! ;)

Just went with random colors that weren't red white and blue. 

1 hour ago, pumaAttack said:

Lime green! ;)

Just went with random colors that weren't red white and blue. 

We have green tees at Springfield, they are the forward tees.  

I can appreciate the fact that some people's egos, usually men's, can get in the way of any good idea. I think 5 sets of tees should normally cover all eventualities and skill levels. Of course that can depend on the slope of the course, or just how "wild" is the target area you're hitting into?

At 63 I can't go much more than 6500 yds, and that's getting to be a stretch. The "tee it forward" effort was worthwhile as was the "while we're young" idea. I wish they'd keep drumming it in!

One thing that could help is proper course design relative to the total length required off the tee. One type of course I really don't like is where every par 4 is a driver and an 8 or 9 iron! That gets boring! At least design a course where, if I play from the proper tees, I still have to pull a mid or long iron every so often! Variety is the spice of life.

And what's wrong with playing different tees on different holes? Unless we're in a sanctioned, or in some way "competition", event we move the tees around. Let's say we decide to play the "orange" tees, and we come to a hole that looks like a real nothing from there. On the spot we'll decide to move back a tee, or two, to make the hole more challenging. This usually takes place on par 3's.

And it's true that on many older courses with blue, white and red tees, the women don't get enough of an advantage. Or, I should say "most" women. We were played through on an upscale course by a couple of women who could just blast it off the tee! Our male egos dove right into the nearest divot!

Course I mentioned earlier has green tees (jade). Markers are easy to see on the card and course. They do have gold and copper next to each other and a gold/copper combo. Still easy to see.

My course uses 4 tee boxes

Black - Championship tees 72.01 / 132 

Orange - Mens Tees 70.7 / 131

Green - Ladies Championship Tees / Senior Tees 68.1 / 129

Silver - Ladies 69.1 / 121

We have a course nearby (Windy Knolls, Springfield OH) that used to be a horse ranch. They have black, gray, white and burgundy "shoes".

Clever so-and-so's. 

19 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Agree 100%.  By mixing & matching a course can create 5-6 different length courses with only 2-3 physical tee boxes.  Our state rating organization will rate all the sets of tees so one can easily pick their own poison. 

I want them to go a step further. Rate each hole by tee which offers more choices. Some courses I avoid certain tees due to only a few holes. Given that there are usually only 3 sets of tees I might actually play on a course mixing and matching would offer a wide variety of combinations (816). With the computers most of carry around in our pocket this wouldn't be that terrible to implement.

19 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

I just hate how courses have gone away from the traditional "Black, Blue, White and Red" tee boxes.  Now courses have Gold, Bronze, Silver, Maroon... And they all look very similar on a scorecard or the tee marker.

If that really bothers you, then just a heads up - don't play Tobacco Road. They have the following tees, based on farming:
Ripper - 71.7/144 - 6,532
Disc - 70.3/135 - 6,297
Plow - 68.6/129 - 5.886
Cultivator - 69.6/126 (ladies rating) - 4,946

We would stand on the tee box and try to remember if we were playing ripper or disc on a given day/hole.

Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!