IGNORED

Par 4's made reachable in two

9wood
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

40 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I never shot 150 even playing the longest tees. Playing the middle tees I had two rounds of 86 last year but my average score is around 90 or so.

You folks out in Colorado can do what you want, but where I play we don't have as many tee options as you have listed therefore what you folks do in Colorado is not applicable to how things are done where I play. If you played here you would just have to get use to having less tee boxes that what you are use to out where you reside.

I have to say that Colorado isn't the only place were that is true.  You appear to live and play in a bit of a backwater as far as golf is concerned.  I live in a very rural area, and I play a lot of my golf with farmers and ranchers, yet many of them have no issues playing the red tees, right alongside their wives.

True, and I don't have any desire for someone to try to make it easier for me. If I wanted easy, I would just play putt-putt

The only men in my neck of the woods that play the red tees, or what we refer to as the woman's tees all wear frilly undies.

I never complained about my score. Score is irrelevant to me. I play for enjoyment - and I always enjoy it independent of any score. A lot of times I don't even bother to keep score.

Sounds to me like they let testosterone rule their better judgement.  Do as you like, it doesn't bother me, but if score doesn't matter, then it also shouldn't matter if you moved up to the forward tees.  Unless of course your talk about not having an ego was just talk.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I play from the red and green tees a couple times a year and I'm pretty sure I don't wear frilly undies.  It is nice to have to hit different clubs off tees and into greens, just makes you think differently around the golf course.  

This is me, I will play the senior tees whenever I play with a group that plays them.  It's nice that Par 5s basically become par 4s but the thing I like the most about it is that it keeps the course fresh as I am forced to play some holes differently or can be more aggressive on others.

Then there is #9 at my home course which I regularly play from the red tees....because I get tired of walking down and back up that darn hill.  I typically hit a wedge to approximate where my driver would end up and play like normal.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

42 minutes ago, Lihu said:

If you don't care about score then why worry about reaching a par 4 in 2 shots?

I don't worry. It merely was a thought in my head that since I often come very close to reaching the greens in 2 on some of the par 4's with last years clubs, that maybe a change of clubs might get me there in 2 since I was coming so close last year. So what did I do? Well, first off I bought a new driver and a new hybrid club, and so far, this year things are looking pretty good. The courses have been very soggy this spring in my area so I haven't been able to get hardly any roll on my drives. Yet I was still able to reach a couple of the par 4 greens on my 2nd shot using my new hybrid club which is a first for me. It wasn't about score, it was about the challenge of seeing if I could manage a way to get up and down in 2. It was exciting for me to do something which eluded me in the past. 

I had the Bio Cell hybrids and they were really good. Sold them when I went to component 5-7 woods I put together. I went back to a hybrid and should have considered the Cobra again.

Dave :-)

33 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I don't worry. It merely was a thought in my head that since I often come very close to reaching the greens in 2 on some of the par 4's with last years clubs, that maybe a change of clubs might get me there in 2 since I was coming so close last year. So what did I do? Well, first off I bought a new driver and a new hybrid club, and so far, this year things are looking pretty good. The courses have been very soggy this spring in my area so I haven't been able to get hardly any roll on my drives. Yet I was still able to reach a couple of the par 4 greens on my 2nd shot using my new hybrid club which is a first for me. It wasn't about score, it was about the challenge of seeing if I could manage a way to get up and down in 2. It was exciting for me to do something which eluded me in the past. 

Quite a few of the senior golfers have hybrid and wood sets. It works for them too.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I got my Mom some UGI Adams hybrid iron set really helped her. She's never been long, small and not real athletic but enjoys golf. More than anything just being able to get he ball in the air renewed her joy of golf.

Still like most golfers she refuses to move up to the most forward tees despite my goading. She's 69 and short even for a woman, drives are maybe 125. It's 4 shots to the green for her, constantly putting for double or worse. A long par 5 is torture for her. They have tees rated for women that the kids play off, she should be up there.

23 hours ago, 9wood said:

The one course I play has 2 par 4's over 400 yds - even from the senior tees - see below

county course.jpg

The "White" tees are not the Senior tees...

Play the red tees and actually enjoy the game.  Those are NOT the woman's tees.  Sounds like the 100 yard difference would be ideal for you.  

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

5000 yd par 72 would be pretty short for a man, even an older man that doesn't hit it far. It would be a day of waiting for people to get on or clear the greens on the 250 yd par 4's. A drive hit over 200 would be buzzing the people ahead chipping on.

4 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

5000 yd par 72 would be pretty short for a man, even an older man that doesn't hit it far. It would be a day of waiting for people to get on or clear the greens on the 250 yd par 4's. A drive hit over 200 would be buzzing the people ahead chipping on.

Yeah but look at the difference between the blue and white tees.  He is basically playing from the Tips on most holes and complaining about distance into par 4s...

5 out of the first 6 holes are the same for the white and blue tees. 9 out of the 18 holes are the exact same distance. That is NOT the senior tee location.

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

13 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Yeah but look at the difference between the blue and white tees.  He is basically playing from the Tips on most holes and complaining about distance into par 4s...

5 out of the first 6 holes are the same for the white and blue tees.  That is NOT the senior tee location.

I saw the blue/white thing. I don't think he's complaining as much as being jazzed about his new hybrid. It's not a why can't I thread he likes to talk about golf. It's a quirky course and that's just a scorecard we don't know if they put more separation between the tees.

But I've seen that before and it's typical of rinky-dink courses there may not be a way to move the whites up. We have a par 35 9 hole here and all the tees are on top of each other. His course probably just had two tees at some point, men's and women's.

2 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

I saw the blue/white thing. I don't think he's complaining as much as being jazzed about his new hybrid. It's not a why can't I thread he likes to talk about golf. It's a quirky course and that's just a scorecard we don't know if they put more separation between the tees.

But I've seen that before and it's typical of rinky-dink courses there may not be anyway to move the whites up. We have a par 35 9 hole here and all the tees are on top of each other. His course probably just had two tees at some point, men's and women's.

Yeah. And they need to update the course and no one wants to put any money into the tee boxes to extend them and put in another one.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I'd like to say I wouldn't play a quirky course like that but I do. The par 35 I mentioned is in my town, $11 with cart and you can go around twice for $16 twilight.

Worse than silly tees is it doesn't make sense period. First hole is a 190 yd par 3. One sub 500 yd par 5 that's like shooting fish in a barrel and longish par 4's that are laid out over whatever existing ground there was so holes are funky. Imagine reeds and swamp stuff in the middle of fairways. One hole is a 8i followed by 9i unless you can carry a driver 260 over the gunch. Sub 320 par 4's that while reachable anything but hitting the green is lost. Good clean fun but not meant to be taken advantage of.

3 hours ago, 9wood said:

The only men in my neck of the woods that play the red tees, or what we refer to as the woman's tees all wear frilly undies.

You all are a little too intimate with what the golfers wear in your area

• Upvote 1

It would seem reasonable that a healthy person in their 60s should be able to reach a 412 yard par 4 in two shots.

Maybe some resistance training with weights would help.  Some people lose a lot of muscle mass as they age.

Maybe a little better timing in the swing would help.  Some golfers seem to swing mostly with the upper body as they lose flexibility.

It's not an age thing it's skill. I know good and bad golfers of all ages. Some of the worst are young guys, in fact I'd say most of the worst are males in the 21-36 age range. Not only are the sucky but they're delusional. Those are the ones you see too far back more than the old guys.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dave2512 said:

I agree that's a bit short. If they say you should play 36 x 5I distance, and he hits his driver 220, his 5I probably only goes about 160, which means 5,760.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Quite a few of the senior golfers have hybrid and wood sets. It works for them too.

I can understand why that is so

59 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

It's not an age thing it's skill. I know good and bad golfers of all ages. Some of the worst are young guys, in fact I'd say most of the worst are males in the 21-36 age range. Not only are the sucky but they're delusional. Those are the ones you see too far back more than the old guys.

In my own personal experience I find that to be true

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!