IGNORED

Par 4's made reachable in two

9wood
Note: This thread is 2941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

The "White" tees are not the Senior tees...

Play the red tees and actually enjoy the game.  Those are NOT the woman's tees.  Sounds like the 100 yard difference would be ideal for you.  

I have never seen any man tee off from the red tees.  Up here in my neck of the woods, any man caught using the red tees would become the laughing stock of the course.

Lastly, I'm enjoying the game just fine without using any red tees. I might not be good at golf but I'm better than many I see on the course, or get paired up with

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I have never seen any man tee off from the red tees.  Up here in my neck of the woods, any man caught using the red tees would become the laughing stock of the course.

That's pretty asinine.

Be a man. Move up. Have more fun. Or, hell, just move up on those two holes.

• Upvote 4

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's pretty asinine.

My dad started playing the senior tees this year and loves it.  He is 65 and can still hit the ball fairly far but finds the forward tees allows him to enjoy the round more.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

36 minutes ago, 9wood said:

You probably aren't aware of this, but numerous college golf programs encourage their players to play occasionally from the most forward tees possible to a) have a little fun and b) get used to shooting really low scores. To consider someone a laughing stock for doing this is a mistake. 

For example, a player who might have otherwise stalled out or choked after a hot start to a round might have a better chance to close out strong if they at some point realize, "hey, I've shot 59 before, I can do this. It was from the forward tees, but I still shot a 59. I'm not completely out of my comfort zone. I can do this."

Constantine

On March 30, 2016 at 6:07 PM, No Mulligans said:

Just because you can't reach with an iron approach (or can't reach at all) doesn't mean you are on the wrong tees.  I ask, if you are having fun and keeping pace, what's the problem?

I don't get either side of this discussion. This is one of only a few posts that make sense.

At what kind of course would playing the forward tees make someone a laughing stock? And how could any adult feel good about themselves by giving in to that kind of peer pressure? Must be a lot tough 13 year olds in that neck of the woods. Sorry @9wood, I just don't get that.

But more to the point, who cares if someone else is using a hybrid on their approach or playing from tees that don't quite fit their distances? I didn't read that original post as any sort of complaining. It seemed more like he was just talking about his new clubs. Maybe I missed a subsequent post?

Anyway, if I want to lower my HI, I play the set of tees or a course that best fits my crappy game. If I want to work on my long clubs or need a change of pace, I play further back. No one else suffers as a result.

Jon

1 hour ago, JetFan1983 said:

You probably aren't aware of this, but numerous college golf programs encourage their players to play occasionally from the most forward tees possible to a) have a little fun and b) get used to shooting really low scores. To consider someone a laughing stock for doing this is a mistake. 

For example, a player who might have otherwise stalled out or choked after a hot start to a round might have a better chance to close out strong if they at some point realize, "hey, I've shot 59 before, I can do this. It was from the forward tees, but I still shot a 59. I'm not completely out of my comfort zone. I can do this."

I do have fun, and secondly score doesn't matter. Too much emphasis is put on score in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That's pretty asinine.

I can honestly say that I know for sure that I wouldn't have more fun playing from red tees. You folks put too much emphasis on score. The opinion in here seems to be, if we just make golf easier for people they will have more fun. For me personally, nothing could be further from the truth. 

43 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I didn't read that original post as any sort of complaining. It seemed more like he was just talking about his new clubs. 

Exactly

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Too much emphasis is put on score in my opinion. 

People looking to improve care about score. People who don't care as much about improving… don't.

14 minutes ago, 9wood said:

You folks put too much emphasis on score.

I disagree. But if you think it's fun not to reach barely 400-yard par fours, be my guest.

:-)

On March 30, 2016 at 2:23 PM, 9wood said:

I have to admit that I use to get a bit frustrated to not be able to get on some of the par 4's in two which I always though were reachable for me

Frustration doesn't sound like fun. :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I do have fun, and secondly score doesn't matter. Too much emphasis is put on score in my opinion. 

You talk about getting new clubs so you can maybe reach those 2 long par 4 holes in 2.  What does it matter if you aren't worried about score?  What's the point otherwise?  You might as well just go knock a ball around a cow pasture.  I could go out and play an entire round with an 8 iron and not bother to keep score, but I'm not really sure what it would be.  I'd still hit some good shots and some bad ones, but I wouldn't really know the overall result or what effect those bad shots had on my overall round.

I want to know where my game is headed (unfortunately for the last few years that's been in the wrong direction, then lately just stagnant - but I want to know even that) - golf is a game, a competition, even if only against the course, and for that you need some sort of measurement.  The score is the measurement for golf.

This Saturday I get to play my first competition in 4 years and I'm really looking  forward to it.  I reinstated my handicap last year, even though I was competing, because it was in my mind to rejoin my old men's club.  From where I live now it's a 150 mile drive and overnight in a hotel, but I'm still stoked for it.  You can maybe see where I'm coming from in my comments above.  I love the game, I love playing with friends, and I love competing.  For me keeping score is just part of what makes it fun.  

Without score it's just a driving range.

• Upvote 2

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

15 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I can honestly say that I know for sure that I wouldn't have more fun playing from red tees. You folks put too much emphasis on score. The opinion in here seems to be, if we just make golf easier for people they will have more fun. For me personally, nothing could be further from the truth. 

It gets kind of boring to hit driver/hybrid all day. Golf is about figuring out how to best approach a hole and selecting clubs suited for a situation. It's not about hitting the same clubs all day. You could tee off difficult holes with irons and other clubs as well even if they are longer relative to the rest. It adds some strategy to the game.

• Upvote 2

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

20 minutes ago, 9wood said:

The opinion in here seems to be, if we just make golf easier for people they will have more fun. For me personally, nothing could be further from the truth. 

Playing the forward tees doesn't make golf easier...the swings and the results are the same. It's just fun because you get to play different shots (maybe hit a sand wedge off the tee, for example, or try to drive a par-4 green). I enjoy it as a change of pace...the handicap system is designed to "equalize" scores, so it's just a way to add variety.

• Upvote 2

- John

3 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

You talk about getting new clubs so you can maybe reach those 2 long par 4 holes in 2.  What does it matter if you aren't worried about score?  What's the point otherwise?  You might as well just go knock a ball around a cow pasture.  I could go out and play an entire round with an 8 iron and not bother to keep score, but I'm not really sure what it would be.  I'd still hit some good shots and some bad ones, but I wouldn't really know the overall result or what effect those bad shots had on my overall round.

I want to know where my game is headed (unfortunately for the last few years that's been in the wrong direction, then lately just stagnant - but I want to know even that) - golf is a game, a competition, even if only against the course, and for that you need some sort of measurement.  The score is the measurement for golf.

This Saturday I get to play my first competition in 4 years and I'm really looking  forward to it.  I reinstated my handicap last year, even though I was competing, because it was in my mind to rejoin my old men's club.  From where I live now it's a 150 mile drive and overnight in a hotel, but I'm still stoked for it.  You can maybe see where I'm coming from in my comments above.  I love the game, I love playing with friends, and I love competing.  For me keeping score is just part of what makes it fun.  

Without score it's just a driving range.

Completely agree with this.

BTW, I played 7i and 6i recently. Shot better on my shorter home course than my average with all my clubs because I only had to hit that one club. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, pumaAttack said:

My dad started playing the senior tees this year and loves it.  He is 65 and can still hit the ball fairly far but finds the forward tees allows him to enjoy the round more.

My Dad is the same, he turns 72 tomorrow picked up golf at 67 and plays it forward and loves it. He says he wishes he would've played it forward when he was younger and maybe he wouldn't have waited 40 plus years to play again as he was so bad when he was younger and he had no fun

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, 9wood said:

One other point that is relevant, putting aside any general talk of "teeing it forward": what we are talking about is a course that sounds like it has poorly designed tees (on some holes, at least)...you're just correcting that mistake by moving up. If I played a course that had a 300-yard par-3, I'd probably play that one hole from a different set of tees.

- John

We should note that some people have masochistic tendencies. My GIR percentage on par 4 holes over 380 yds is around 2.5%. I don't call that a challenge. I call that slamming my head against a wall.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

17 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

The "White" tees are not the Senior tees...

Play the red tees and actually enjoy the game.  Those are NOT the woman's tees.  Sounds like the 100 yard difference would be ideal for you.  

I enjoy the game without the red tees. In fact, I guarantee you that I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if I played from the red tees. 

12 hours ago, iacas said:

But if you think it's fun not to reach barely 400-yard par fours, be my guest.

:-)

Frustration doesn't sound like fun. :-D

Do you folks even bother to read what I previously posted? The main point of this thread in the original post was that the addition of a new hybrid has now for the first time put par 4's within reach for me, especially once the course dries up from it's current soggy condition 

Ergo - no more frustration

11 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

If I played a course that had a 300-yard par-3, I'd probably play that one hole from a different set of tees.

With a good 2nd shot that is doable. 

12 hours ago, Lihu said:

It gets kind of boring to hit driver/hybrid all day. Golf is about figuring out how to best approach a hole and selecting clubs suited for a situation. It's not about hitting the same clubs all day. You could tee off difficult holes with irons and other clubs as well even if they are longer relative to the rest. It adds some strategy to the game.

For me it's not boring because 1) I need to work on my drive more than other shots 2) Hybrids are new to me and I am learning what they can do for me 3) I am pretty much satisfied with my pitching and chipping game and don't feel the need to work on that aspect of my game as much as the first two. 

12 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Obviously, my system of measurement is different than others. The addition of a new Driver and hybrid club to my bag has now for the first time made some of the par 4's reachable in 2 for me that were previously unreachable for me before the addition of my new driver and hybrid. But what does score matter if I get on in two and then 3 or 4 putt?

P.S. I don't normally 3-4 putt, except for at this time of year when the greens aren't in that good of shape as yet

On 3/30/2016 at 7:35 PM, Dave2512 said:

IMO if you face more than a couple par 4's where it's necessary to hit a hybrid you are playing the wrong tees. Just sayin'. I'll have a few recovery shots after a poor drive but on all but the two longest par 4's at the home course my average approach is 6-PW range. I use my hybrids on the tee and to escape trouble more than anything.

We have a 435 yard par 4 off of the yellows, and the pro can't reach it in two during the winter. In fact, as yet I haven't seen it done. I am not a big hitter, neither am I a short one either, and the only par four on my course I can reach has water in front of it, so I just lose my ball instead. The course is a par 74, 6880 yards (yellows)

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

13 minutes ago, 9wood said:

For me it's not boring because 1) I need to work on my drive more than other shots 2) Hybrids are new to me and I am learning what they can do for me 3) I am pretty much satisfied with my pitching and chipping game and don't feel the need to work on that aspect of my game as much as the first two. 

For sure, people enjoy different parts of the game, but there are many more aspects people might be missing without the entire golf experience. When you get bored with driver/hybrid then you'll probably want to explore the other parts of the game as well.

I noticed that you quoted @Fourputt as well regarding the point behind making a green in 2 when you 4 putt. The best answer is that you speed up pace of play by getting on the green in 2 shots even if you putt 5 times. Unless, you happen to be one of those folks who takes up to 2 minutes to line up a putt. :-D I laugh now, but that's actually quite a point of contention at my home course.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 hours ago, 9wood said:

I enjoy the game without the red tees. In fact, I guarantee you that I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if I played from the red tees. 

I guess the next question is "why did you bother posting the OP?" You expressed frustration in the OP. Folks then tried to help you, but you then said you were cool with it. If you just want to discuss approaches, then the OP should have been phrased differently.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!