IGNORED

Par 4's made reachable in two

9wood
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)
6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I guess the next question is "why did you bother posting the OP?" You expressed frustration in the OP. Folks then tried to help you, but you then said you were cool with it. If you just want to discuss approaches, then the OP should have been phrased differently.

Re-read the OP. You have to read my posts more carefully - it said, "I use to get a bit frustrated" (past tense)

Edited by 9wood

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/30/2016 at 0:23 PM, 9wood said:

...This should be an exciting season for golfing with the addition of my new Cobra bio cell 3-4 adjustable hybrid.

I think it's clear that @9wood is simply stating that he is pleased that this adjustment to his bag has brought a new dimension to his game.

I am also in my 60's. I choose to play 30 year old musclebacks even though the lofts are 1 or 2 clubs short of modern irons. Why? Because I know them and like them.

I bag a driver, three wood, and 2 hybrids. Often I am swinging a hybrid while my partners are hitting 3-5 irons. I am not embarrassed to make the green while they are missing short, long, or wide.

I DO play the white tees mostly, and score best when this tee is under 6000 yards. But hybrids in my bag have made it possible to enjoy playing up to 6800 or so.

Play the clubs and tees you like @9wood, but most of all keep playing and enjoying this great game!

• Upvote 2

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

6 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

I think it's clear that @9wood is simply stating that he is pleased that this adjustment to his bag has brought a new dimension to his game.

I am also in my 60's. I choose to play 30 year old musclebacks even though the lofts are 1 or 2 clubs short of modern irons. Why? Because I know them and like them.

I bag a driver, three wood, and 2 hybrids. Often I am swinging a hybrid while my partners are hitting 3-5 irons. I am not embarrassed to make the green while they are missing short, long, or wide.

I DO play the white tees mostly, and score best when this tee is under 6000 yards. But hybrids in my bag have made it possible to enjoy playing up to 6800 or so.

Play the clubs and tees you like @9wood, but most of all keep playing and enjoying this great game!

FINALLY - someone that has correctly read my posts and understands - Thank you

3 hours ago, 9wood said:

I enjoy the game without the red tees. In fact, I guarantee you that I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if I played from the red tees. 

Because you don't like scoring birdies?  Or do you like to play the tips?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

5 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Because you don't like scoring birdies?  Or do you like to play the tips?

When I get a birdie, it's more exciting from playing tees that are longer rather than shorter. Sure it would be easier for me to get a birdie from the red tees, but not as exciting as when you get one from longer tees. I am not an advocate of making the game easier just so I can score better, get more pars, or birdies, etc. 

22 minutes ago, 9wood said:

When I get a birdie, it's more exciting from playing tees that are longer rather than shorter. Sure it would be easier for me to get a birdie from the red tees, but not as exciting as when you get one from longer tees. I am not an advocate of making the game easier just so I can score better, get more pars, or birdies, etc. 

Have you ever played the red tees?  The forward tees.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

1 minute ago, pumaAttack said:

Have you ever played the red tees?  The forward tees.

Yes I tried it once when no one else was behind or in front of me, and it didn't give me any added enjoyment. I didn't like it at all.

I played last week with my wife so I played from the ladies tees with her.  It was a blast!  It was like playing a whole different course.  Even though I was closer, I still was trying to leave myself a 100 yard or so shot into each green . .so I'd tee off with whatever club I thought would give me that (long iron, fairway wood, etc).  I still missed a lot of fairways and a lot of greens.  I didn't really score that well at all for playing closer tees.  It was a lot more strategic than my usual game which consists of just hitting it as far as I possibly can off of each tee knowing that I'll have at least a 150 to 125 yard approach . .and often more. 

8 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I played last week with my wife so I played from the ladies tees with her.  It was a blast!  It was like playing a whole different course.  Even though I was closer, I still was trying to leave myself a 100 yard or so shot into each green . .so I'd tee off with whatever club I thought would give me that (long iron, fairway wood, etc).  I still missed a lot of fairways and a lot of greens.  I didn't really score that well at all for playing closer tees.  It was a lot more strategic than my usual game which consists of just hitting it as far as I possibly can off of each tee knowing that I'll have at least a 150 to 125 yard approach . .and often more. 

The one time I played the red tees, I noticed that several of my second shots left me with 75 - 100 or less yards to go which is a PW for me. At that distance I rarely miss the greens and don't need any additional work on that aspect of my game. For my 2nd shots I prefer about 175 or so yds since those are the sort of shots I need to work on. That's the main reason I prefer the white tees instead of the reds and don't particularly enjoy playing red tees. (see score card below of the course I once played the red tees)

county course.jpg

(edited)

Since my drive is around 220 yds, then by looking at the following "tee it forward" chart found at pga.com, along with my course score card, the recommended tees for my game are more suited to the white tees, and not the red tees as some individuals in here have incorrectly suggested.

BTW, I have noticed many golfers who play the blue tees who by use of these charts should also be switching to the white tees so as not to slow other golfers down.

county course.jpg

my tee it forward chart.jpg

Edited by 9wood

39 minutes ago, 9wood said:

The one time I played the red tees, I noticed that several of my second shots left me with 75 - 100 or less yards to go which is a PW for me. At that distance I rarely miss the greens and don't need any additional work on that aspect of my game. For my 2nd shots I prefer about 175 or so yds since those are the sort of shots I need to work on. That's the main reason I prefer the white tees instead of the reds and don't particularly enjoy playing red tees. (see score card below of the course I once played the red tees)

county course.jpg

You likely missed more greens than you remember playing reds.  From 75-100 my stats aren't horrible but not automatic for sure. Been a single digit handicap for 3 seasons of 80 plus rounds. 

Look at it this way. Every amateur golfer I know that tracks stats has a highest scoring average on par3's, even short ones are tough to hit GIR. If your normal approach yardage is longer than most of your par 3 yardages par opportunities will be slim.

I know you don't care about par but  you mentioned hitting greens so some scoring stats seem to matter to you. 

Dave :-)

1 minute ago, Dave2512 said:

You likely missed more greens than you remember playing reds.  From 75-100 my stats aren't horrible but not automatic for sure. Been a single digit handicap for 3 seasons of 80 plus rounds. 

It's been awhile since I played them. I only know that These days I miss very few from 100 in unless I hit it too fat which happens every now and then

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Look at it this way. Every amateur golfer I know that tracks stats has a highest scoring average on par3's, even short ones are tough to hit GIR. If your normal approach yardage is longer than most of your par 3 yardages par opportunities will be slim.

I know you don't care about par but  you mentioned hitting greens so some scoring stats seem to matter to you. 

I'm just the odd duck. I'm someone who enjoys getting it up and down more so than the final score since I end up with more 3 putts once I'm on the green, unless I stick it close to the pin which is not as often as I prefer, but I am improving in that area (at least on certain days)

Edited by 9wood

8 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I'm just the odd duck. I'm someone who enjoys getting it up and down more so than the final score since I end up with more 3 putts once I'm on the green, unless I stick it close to the pin which is not as often as I prefer, but I am improving in that area (at least on certain days)

I get it and I am not slagging you just providing insight and a comparison. I average quite a few GIR 44% and rarely am  I not inside 20 yards when I miss one. My current scrambling stat is just 25%. Getting up and down is fun but difficult. 

I read 9wood's original post as praising the distance he is getting from his new hybrid - nothing more.  For the long hitters on this site you expect to be hitting a mid-short iron into the green on every par 4.  For some of us (I am 64), I can reach a 410 par 4 with driver and 3 hybrid and I am not certain why some of you give a hoot that I use a hybrid.  In fact, over the last couple of years I have replaced my 2 through 6 irons with hybrids and I am hitting the ball farther and with more consistency than I did 15 years ago.  My 5 hybrid is a solid 160 and either on or just off the green 90% of the time (we can discuss my short game at another time!).  

My hybrids are a pleasure to hit and I hit my 2 hybrid better and longer than I ever hit my Titleist DCI OS 2 iron (I started at age 40).  I never belonged on the tips and a 440 yard par 4 has always been a challenge but I am comfortable playing from the middle tees on most courses because I use the clubs that work well for me.  I started with hand me down persimmons and blades and my drives are much longer now with a 460cc Ping driver.  9wood, enjoy the new club and remember that you are shooting scores better than most golfers plus there are many other hybrids that may help your game.  A 220 yard drive is fine for the middle tees on most courses, and the hybrid is just one of several tools a golfer can use throughout a round of golf.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

I read 9wood's original post as praising the distance he is getting from his new hybrid - nothing more.  

Yep and he is enthusiastic about golf, likes discussing it etc. Nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote 1

The "Bottom Line" is this...

Play the clubs and the game that suits you best!

I am an "old guy". I grew up playing laminated woods, ballata balls, and blades, and did fairly well (6 handicap). But times have changed and I have aged.

I was reluctant, but eventually went to modern balls and metal woods. Really helped my game especially since courses have become longer.

Hybrids came next, as my preferred musclebacks left a large gap between the long irons that I could hit well and the 5 wood.

As my ability to reach the green on modern courses decreased, I adapted while still playing the game I prefer. I, for the most part, play courses that offer tees suited to my game (6000-6800 yrds) while still providing an interesting day. But I am not afraid to take on the challenge of longer or more difficult courses occasionally.

Seems to me that there are an inordinate number of folks (particularly on the internet) who denigrate those who can't hit a 160 yard 7 iron (despite the fact that the modern 7 is actually a 5).

Funny, but I seldom meet those folks on the course, typically those I do meet are off somewhere in the weeds.

No matter, play your game with the tools of your choice. It's all golf as long as you play by the rules and show courtesy to others. :-D

• Upvote 1

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Funny how women keep telling us that they are equal to men and should be paid as much money as us etc etc. They have to have their own tees though LOL

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!