IGNORED

2016 Shell Houston Open

Natural Patrick
Note: This thread is 2935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Probably a good thing Spieth not winning. The one tournament he did win right before a major last year, he posted his worst finish in a major (a whopping 4th at St. Andrews). The one area I'd be concerned with if I was Spieth would be ball striking. Still not that crisp. Relying too much on his putter from long range and eventually that wears on you. I think he'll contend next week, but not sure a win is in the cards, especially if he gets the bad side of the draw in what appears to be a very scary weather forecast.

Good performances for Spieth, Fowler, and Mickelson.  All are in good shape for Augusta.

Like Henrik but now pulling for Herman, who I just learned is a Trump homer.  Love that.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Good performances for Spieth, Fowler, and Mickelson.  All are in good shape for Augusta.

Like Henrik but now pulling for Herman, who I just learned is a Trump homer.  Love that.

Yep, Herman is a good story.

42 minutes ago, Gunther said:

A Trump homer and a first time winner. I'm definitely rooting for him.

Such an awesome finish to watch.  Can only imagine what it felt like for him to hear the words "See you next week at Augusta."

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

At first I was happy that Jim Herman won, seemed like a good story. However now I've found out he's buddies with Trump so now I hope he gets eaten by bears.

As for @Gunther, @Natural Patrick, and @pin high-not sure if yall are messing around or just retarded.

Edited by RJH999
  • Upvote 2

Riley

2 minutes ago, RJH999 said:

At first I was happy that Jim Herman won, seemed like a good story. However now I've found out he's buddies with Trump so now I hope he gets eaten by bears.

As for @Gunther, @Natural Patrick, and @pin high-not sure if yall are messing around or just retarded.

Lol, funny post.  Great first win for Herman, he's a humble guy.

Now I'm gonna switch over and root for a Sanders homer, my girl Michelle Wie.  I'm an equal opportunity golf fan.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Herman win was fun to watch, nice to see some raw emotion from a guy who just realized he'll be playing at The Masters.  I laughed watching him after he sunk the putt as he took his hat off to hug his caddie then put it back on to shake hands with Henley.  He seems like a good guy.  

Joe Paradiso

11 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Lol, funny post.  Great first win for Herman, he's a humble guy.

Now I'm gonna switch over and root for a Sanders homer, my girl Michelle Wie.  I'm an equal opportunity golf fan.

It's easy to get behind her...:-P :whistle:

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

Herman says Trump gave him timely push to make the tour

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-golf-pga-herman-trump-idUSKBN0LV03320150227

"I got in the golf business, started working at the PGA Village, got a phone call and started working up at Trump National in Bedminster, New Jersey."

It was there, in 2006, that the owner of the course, American celebrity entrepreneur Donald Trump, spurred Herman to try again at a professional career.

"At Trump I was an assistant pro, tournament ops, things like that," Herman recalled. "I got into a nice conversation with Donald, Mr. Trump, one day.

"He's like, 'Why are you folding shirts and giving lessons? Why aren't you on the Tour? I've played with tour players, you're good enough.'

"I don't know, maybe something like that gives you more confidence."

In his second year at Trump, Herman finally qualified for the second-tier Web.com tour, with the Trump logo featuring on his shirt and golf bag, and he went on to play his rookie season on the PGA Tour in 2011.

"He (Trump) has been very influential in getting me to the tour," said Herman. "It's nice playing out here. I definitely enjoy it better than the golf shop."

Henrik fails to close again. The extra bonus points would've really helped my fantasy team because both my C players missed the cut.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

For once, a unfamiliar player is known to me, coincidentally, he kept turning up whenever I went to watch a US Open qualifier, he seemed to pick courses in the New York metro area to qualify, IIRC he's based in Florida. It's weird having seen swings on tv and then seeing them live, versus having seen a swing live many times, then seeing it on tv. After watching him, I think he qualified for the USO a couple times, followed him in those USOs, but didn't make the cut. Woohoo, I got to see a player play in obscurity, then win in the big show.

Was disappointed Stenson didn't pull it out as well. He seems to have a hard time winning when he's close to the lead.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

14 hours ago, pin high said:

Herman says Trump gave him timely push to make the tour

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-golf-pga-herman-trump-idUSKBN0LV03320150227

"I got in the golf business, started working at the PGA Village, got a phone call and started working up at Trump National in Bedminster, New Jersey."

It was there, in 2006, that the owner of the course, American celebrity entrepreneur Donald Trump, spurred Herman to try again at a professional career.

"At Trump I was an assistant pro, tournament ops, things like that," Herman recalled. "I got into a nice conversation with Donald, Mr. Trump, one day.

"He's like, 'Why are you folding shirts and giving lessons? Why aren't you on the Tour? I've played with tour players, you're good enough.'

"I don't know, maybe something like that gives you more confidence."

In his second year at Trump, Herman finally qualified for the second-tier Web.com tour, with the Trump logo featuring on his shirt and golf bag, and he went on to play his rookie season on the PGA Tour in 2011.

"He (Trump) has been very influential in getting me to the tour," said Herman. "It's nice playing out here. I definitely enjoy it better than the golf shop."

The first 4 minutes of this is all about Jim Herman, as Trump spoke on the campaign not long after yesterday's victory. According to this, after 5 holes of Trump playing with Herman, Trump knew Herman could play on tour and decided to assist financially to get his career going.

I wonder which was more important for Herman's life trajectory: the back nine yesterday, or those first 5 holes with Trump. Both were some darn good golf, at any rate.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!