Sign in to follow this  
onthehunt526

Which 3-iron? EXI, CB Pro Tungsten, or something else.

Note: This thread is 1644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 posts / 4711 viewsLast Reply

DISCLAIMER: This is a question, for different course set-ups...

I'm thinking for courses with tight tee shots, I need a "3-iron". Now would the matching EXI 3-iron, be ok, Or should I pick up more or a Driving Iron like 3-iron I could pick up such as a CB Pro Tungsten.

The CB Pro Tungsten and EXI are similar prices with my KBS Tour 105.

I would have just picked up a CB Pro H (which has won on Tour), but the loft of that 3-iron is only 1° stronger than my 22° 4-iron... I have a 19° 3-hybrid already, and a 21° 7-wood (the 3 hybrid is for normal situations, the 7-wood for harder greens)... If I'm overanalyzing it.

Basically it's a question of traditional iron vs iron like hybrid driving iron thingy...

Thanks for your answers in advance... By the way, I've hit both of the tee, and get similar numbers with both.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

DISCLAIMER: This is a question, for different course set-ups...

I'm thinking for courses with tight tee shots, I need a "3-iron". Now would the matching EXI 3-iron, be ok, Or should I pick up more or a Driving Iron like 3-iron I could pick up such as a CB Pro Tungsten.

The CB Pro Tungsten and EXI are similar prices with my KBS Tour 105.

I would have just picked up a CB Pro H (which has won on Tour), but the loft of that 3-iron is only 1° stronger than my 22° 4-iron... I have a 19° 3-hybrid already, and a 21° 7-wood (the 3 hybrid is for normal situations, the 7-wood for harder greens)... If I'm overanalyzing it.

Basically it's a question of traditional iron vs iron like hybrid driving iron thingy...

Thanks for your answers in advance... By the way, I've hit both of the tee, and get similar numbers with both.

Well if you get similar numbers with both I'd just go with the matching 3 iron for sake of consistency. If the driving iron doesn't give you a more penetrating trajectory it really isn't a driving iron.

4 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Well if you get similar numbers with both I'd just go with the matching 3 iron for sake of consistency. If the driving iron doesn't give you a more penetrating trajectory it really isn't a driving iron.

Yeah. I'll buy that.

The CB Pro Tungsten, launched higher than the EXI, but only by a half-degree (11.7 vs 11.2)... The only issue I had was the EXI only carries 8 yards past my 4-iron...

After I start holding my shoulder pitch, I will be more consistent.

3 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Don't forget your 7W. (But hey, I'm biased.)

Have you hit the EX9's by chance? The 7w goes almost as far as my XRail 4 wood does on a good strike anyway.

Yes! I got to hit the EX9 FWs at PGA show in Orlando.

I did OK with the 3W (15°), but better with the 4W (16.5°).

With 4W, it just took me a couple of shots to get the feel. From my notes, the shafts were Matrix Exotics Red Tie 65Q4:

• R.flex, 60 grams, 4.5 torque.
  • S.flex, 63 grams, 4.0 torque.

The R.flex felt good, but I tended to pull the ball. Surprisingly, I did better with the S: getting decent height with either a slight push or a gentle draw. I got 220 yds. carry into a slight headwind.

For all my long clubs, I may try 4.0 or below for torque on shafts. I got straighter flight with a lower torque shafts in a Christmas time Srixon driver test.

8 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Yes! I got to hit the EX9 FWs at PGA show in Orlando.

I did OK with the 3W (15°), but better with the 4W (16.5°).

With 4W, it just took me a couple of shots to get the feel. From my notes, the shafts were Matrix Exotics Red Tie 65Q4:

• R.flex, 60 grams, 4.5 torque.
  • S.flex, 63 grams, 4.0 torque.

The R.flex felt good, but I tended to pull the ball. Surprisingly, I did better with the S: getting decent height with either a slight push or a gentle draw. I got 220 yds. carry into a slight headwind.

For all my long clubs, I may try 4.0 or below for torque on shafts. I got straighter flight with a lower torque shafts in a Christmas time Srixon driver test.

I have the 4W and 7W. I tried all 5 lofts (13, 15, 16.5, 18, 21) ... I was ok with the 3-woods but was more consistent with the 4w, 5w, and 7w, I ended up with the Black Tie 7M3.1 X-Flex in my D, 4w, and 3h and the 75M4 in my 7w...

John,

Did you try any of the three new irons? (EXd, EXi, or CB Pro Tungsten). I kind of liked the CB Pro Tungsten in the 2,3,4 iron area, but as a whole set, I don't know if i could play the whole set. He had a demo 3 and 6... So I went with the EXI.

I visited Tour Edge about 4 PM on PGA demo day, as tents were starting t shut down. I was mainly interested in the FWs.

Tour Edge always shows up in force here at an area demo held Father's Day weekend. I'll have to try the irons - lots of + buzz on them.

I have the CB Pro H 2 and it's long and forgiving. Set it up with a Red Tie shaft I pulled from a Exotics 4h. Easy to hit off turf too.

@onthehunt526, you have a 22* 4 iron, 21* 7 wood and 19* 3 hybrid.  Why do you feel the need for an additional 3 iron.  Plus the fact that the distance you are hitting that club is at most 10 yards more than your 4 iron means you really don't need the 3 iron, unless you drop either the 7 wood or 3 hybrid from your bag.

2 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

@onthehunt526, you have a 22* 4 iron, 21* 7 wood and 19* 3 hybrid.  Why do you feel the need for an additional 3 iron.  Plus the fact that the distance you are hitting that club is at most 10 yards more than your 4 iron means you really don't need the 3 iron, unless you drop either the 7 wood or 3 hybrid from your bag.

I don't carry both the 7w and 3h @pganapathy I carry either. The 3i would be more for tighter courses and when the ground dries out... I'd only carry it during the summer or when playing a tight driving course.

@onthehunt526, in that case, ideally the EXI 3 iron because it matches your set, given the proviso that the yardage gap works for you.  Also, are you hitting the 3 iron accurately.  What I found is that since I have not been playing much at all for about a year or so and then started playing again over the last few months, I am struggling to hit my 3 iron (both less distance and a slice) and even though the club is in the bag, it rarely gets used these days

I'm pretty straight with it, a little draw, but mostly I'd use it off the tee. That's why I was thinking my CB Pro Tungsten to use it more as a Driving Iron, but I did order the EXI 3-iron (though it's gonna take 3-4 weeks to receive it)

3 hours ago, Tee2Trees said:

Have your CB Pro bent 2 degrees strong and then you will have a purpose-built "stinger" club like TW.

I would just get the CB Pro Tungsten 2-iron if I was going to do that. 

Like I said above, I ordered an EXI 3-iron with KBS Tour 105, +1/2", 2° upright, and 1/16" oversized grip (same specs as my 4-pw, aw). 

I just bought a CB Pro h 4 iron off the the bay today. I'll have to report back after it arrives. I just hope it isn't too hot. My 5 iron ( ping i25 ) goes about 190. I'm hoping this 4 iron goes 205-215. That way I can swap it with my 5 hybrid in different situations. I've heard they are easy to hit and pretty forgiving. I tried the ping crossover today at the golf store, but it was rediculous ! The 4 iron was going in the 230's with one in the 240 yard range on the monitor. Not what I was looking for.

6 minutes ago, Dholmes said:

I just bought a CB Pro h 4 iron off the the bay today. I'll have to report back after it arrives. I just hope it isn't too hot. My 5 iron ( ping i25 ) goes about 190. I'm hoping this 4 iron goes 205-215. That way I can swap it with my 5 hybrid in different situations. I've heard they are easy to hit and pretty forgiving. I tried the ping crossover today at the golf store, but it was rediculous ! The 4 iron was going in the 230's with one in the 240 yard range on the monitor. Not what I was looking for.

Tour Edge makes good stuff. That 4-iron you picked up is the exact same model as the 3-iron J.B. Holmes uses...

You probably will find it's pretty close to what you want. It might be a little on the hot side, but not as much as the Ping Crossover. Like I said, in my OP, I've hit the new CB Pro Tungsten 3-iron with similar numbers to the EXI, but it carries a little further.

Note: This thread is 1644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!