IGNORED

MB's Centripetal Force Thread

Note: This thread is 2904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

Clue: spinning or "clearing" their hips is not an answer.

If you already know the answer and think it's different then explain yourself sir?

It's not a shift into a braced left leg.

It's a Little bit of clearing the hips and driving into a sublty bent left leg with knee flex well for me everyone is built different.

• Administrator

That doesn't answer the question.

How does a golfer specifically use centripetal force in the downswing?

You realize centripetal force is a force pulling inward, toward the center of rotation. So how does a golfer pull the handle inward in their downswing? At what stage? How does it help them?

And then, what do the hips have to do with it? They're not at the center of rotation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

You realize centripetal force is a force pulling inward, toward the center of rotation. So how does a golfer pull the handle inward in their downswing? At what stage? How does it help them?

And then, what do the hips have to do with it? They're not at the center of rotation.

You know he won't answer :P

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

I'm giving him every last chance.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

It's not that he won't, it's that he can't. He just acts as a conduit for all the BS he reads on the internet or in golf magazines with out any ability to actually understand what he's absorbing. 

He lacks all the base knowledge to understand any of what he's talking about. He tries to make up for it by making these bad analogies to baseball or divert attention by claiming people are attacking him. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

You win I lose okay I'm done here you and few others are just making me look like an fool while at the same time making yourself look bad as well. I don't no I'm wrong here so.. You tell me the answer please because I don't know.

• Administrator

I've already given the answer.

Golfers don't really "use" centripetal force in the downswing… It's a resultant force - the golfer has an arm that is attached to the club (via their hands) and their body.

Swing a rock tied to a string over your head. The string isn't really actively doing anything except holding onto the rock and, ideally, not breaking.

46 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

You win I lose okay I'm done here you and few others are just making me look like an fool while at the same time making yourself look bad as well. I don't no I'm wrong here so.. You tell me the answer please because I don't know.

What? You were just starting to convince me. Don't quit now champ! :beer:

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Golfers don't really "use" centripetal force in the downswing… It's a resultant force - the golfer has an arm that is attached to the club (via their hands) and their body.

As an extension of this, the only thing that a centripetal force may do is increase or decrease the radius of the circle that the club swings on (by either decreasing or increasing in magnitude, respectively). This will not change the angular velocity of the golf swing in the slightest, though extension could very slightly increase the linear velocity of the clubhead - until the clubhead hit the ground because the radius was too long.

1 hour ago, Mike Boatright said:

I don't no I'm wrong here so.. You tell me the answer please because I don't know.

That wasn't so hard, was it Mike?  Nobody expects you to know what Erik knows. And nobody will hold it against you either.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

That wasn't so hard, was it Mike?  Nobody expects you to know what Erik knows. And nobody will hold it against you either.

He wasn't really asking.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

He wasn't really asking.

Yeah.  I assumed it was to good to be true...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Swing a rock tied to a string over your head. The string isn't really actively doing anything except holding onto the rock and, ideally, not breaking.

Doesn't the 'trail elbow move' involve some pulling and maintaining force (resisting trail arm extension) towards the center of rotation during the mid downswing (before it starts extending around delivery)?

The rock & string metaphor is a good one for the action of the left arm in most swings, but can't some swing styles that feature a more bent lead elbow through impact involve some pulling of the arms / shaft toward the center of rotation through delivery / impact? Because the trail elbow is bend throughout most of the downswing, the rock & string is less applicable to both arms for the 'typical swing' isn't it?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

37 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

As an extension of this, the only thing that a centripetal force may do is increase or decrease the radius of the circle that the club swings on (by either decreasing or increasing in magnitude, respectively). This will not change the angular velocity of the golf swing in the slightest, though extension could very slightly increase the linear velocity of the clubhead - until the clubhead hit the ground because the radius was too long.

That's true for a simplified model, but the force generator is human muscle with changing leverage and ability to generate force at different times in the swing. If you decrease the moment arm by shortening the 'string' couldn't a little inward pulling make it easier to maintain some extra torque on the clubshaft at a point when leverage is decreasing due to increasing clubhead radial velocity? I'm thinking more limiting clubhead speed loss here rather than a gain.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• Administrator

@natureboy, as this thread is largely a derailed train, your efforts are best saved for another time. And if you're not careful @Mike Boatright will think you're backing him up.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

@natureboy, as this thread is largely a derailed train, your efforts are best saved for another time. And if you're not careful @Mike Boatright will think you're backing him up.

I haven't really been following the whole thread. Yes the OP is all over the place with his comments and thoughts, and his style of post is difficult to read, so I usually ignore them.

But my thinking is why not make the effort to be precise in the explanations so any other readers get more info / nuances even if the OP doesn't?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, natureboy said:

But my thinking is why not make the effort to be precise in the explanations so any other readers get more info / nuances even if the OP doesn't?

Because I'd never want to refer anyone to THIS thread for a few posts in the middle somewhere.

Start a new topic (and don't refer to this one) if you want. But consider too that I might not answer there either - this is likely something that's fine for an instructor with a scientific background to know, but not students, really.

Note: This thread is 2904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!