IGNORED

What's your favourite type of hole?

Note: This thread is 2803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's your Favourite type of hole?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favourite type of hole?

• Short par three (100-150 yards)
    • Mid par three (150-200 yards)
    • Long par three (200+ yards)
    • Short par four (driveable)
    • Dogleg par four
    • Long par four
    • Short par five (say, 450-500 yards)
    • Long par five (say, 550+ yards)
    • Dogleg par five
    • Other

So, watching the Masters gets me thinking - there's so many good holes out on that course, surely everyone has a different favourite? Whether it be that iconic 12th hole over Rae's Creek, the do-or-die par five 15th or the nowhere to hide par 4 of 240 yards, a case can be made for pretty much every hole out there. I'm not limiting this to the Masters, but I'm interested to see whether there's a consensus of the type of hole we all prefer and why (hence the poll) - whether it be for the challenge and design of it, or the aesthetics of it.

Doesn't matter whether you've played it or not (although it probably helps!); what's your favourite hole and why?

Whilst my eye is normally drawn to a short/mid par three, my favourite hole yet is the 7th on the Marquess' at Woburn. A really demanding and clever par five with a split fairway - huge pine trees down the middle and lining the sides of the fairways - you need two or three really good shots. Down the right allows you to go for the green in two, but you have to clear a lot of bunkers and have a worse angle into the green with a long club. If you go left off the tee, you make it a three shotter, but the pitch will either be long and off a slight downslope or up from the bottom of a ravine in front of the green. The green itself is lightning and the bunkers are very deep.

I made bogey after a great drive down the right and a three wood that didn't quite clear the bunkers. Went over the back with my bunker shot and then three putted from off the fringe. Great, great hole.

the-par-5-7th-hole-on-the-marquess-cours

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted,

Short Par 3's
Drivable Par 4's
Short Par 5's

Short par 3's are fun because they usually have a lot going on defending them. Drivable par 4's are fun for their risk/reward challenge. I like shorter par 5's because I like the risk/reward for going for it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Short par 5 because eagle putts are rad.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I voted,

Short Par 3's
Drivable Par 4's
Short Par 5's

Short par 3's are fun because they usually have a lot going on defending them. Drivable par 4's are fun for their risk/reward challenge. I like shorter par 5's because I like the risk/reward for going for it. 

Both good answers! Do either of you have a particular favourite hole in mind? Love seeing pictures of good holes :-)

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Love this hole. Can't see the green from the fairway so it's a surprise to see where the ball ends up. Made three eagles on this one in 2014.

htc_holes_41.jpg

index_pic02.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

Long par 4. Separates the men from the boys.

• Upvote 3

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The 19th Hole.  *** rimshot ***

Seriously though, I chose short par five.  I drive the ball pretty far and straight, and I hit my fairway woods pretty good, so I'm generally close to the green.  That means if I don't lay sod over a pitch or four-putt, I might make a birdie.  I always feel like I've got a "cushion" on a short par-five.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I voted "Short Par 4" although I rarely drive them.  Probably the best scoring chance for me, other than a very short par 3.

That being said, I think most of us would be bored by a course loaded with lots of short par 4's.  A course with "too many" of any kind of hole is less interesting.  I want a couple par 4's that require my two very best shots, a few doglegs where working a ball a bit left or right helps the cause, a terrifyingly long par 3, etc...

Brian Kuehn

I chose "short par 5".  My reason is that I like holes that make you choose between two or more options when deciding what you want to do, and a short 5 gives you the most opportunities to make a choice.  Do you try to bust a driver to get in range of the green, or play safer to a wider spot in the fairway?  Do you carry some kind of trouble to get to the green in two, or do you play to a safer landing area?  I've enjoyed holes with dual fairways, one of which offers more risk, but an easier shot to the green.  I enjoy being forced to "pick my poison."  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I find it really interesting that so many have gone for holes that they can score well on - be it short par fours or gettable par fives. Might be a personal thing, but I actually get more of a kick out of parring a really tough par four that I know requires three good shots. On a good day, two decent hits and a decent putt will get me a birdie on a par five as I usually have the distance. 

For example, at my home course, I'd always rate the 17th (http://www.hindheadgolfclub.co.uk/17) as a better/more fun hole than the 4th (http://www.hindheadgolfclub.co.uk/4) - in spite of the fact that I score way better on the 4th. I guess it may be a typical British thing where we love challenging golf holes that make you really think about the shots you're playing and factor in wind/slope etc.

My preference isn't so much for a hole that I regularly score well on, but one that challenges me to make the best possible decision.  A good tough long par 4 doesn't really require much in the way of decision-making, I have to hit a solid driver, and then hit a solid long iron (or more).   A short 5 can give me two or three choices off the tee, and depending on how that turns out, more choices on each proceeding shot.  I've found that shorter holes aren't necessarily easier, they can be just as demanding as long holes, but in different ways.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Personally I like a hole that presents a challenge. I like to stretch myself beyond what I know to be my normal ability. I have posted several such holes and have asked others how they would play these holes with varying responses. For me a challenge is a hole that forces me to make a decision and stretch myself on a given shot. It could be a hole that has a water hazard that is just within my normal carry distance, but if I give my shot 110% and make good ball contact I have a chance of clearing the hazard. I like taking risks simply because when I succeed (which I do at times) and accomplish what seems almost impossible there is the reward of victory. If all were to take was shots that I know are within my normal ability and comfort range and they come off well I don't get the same sense of victory as I do over accomplishing a shot which is out of my comfort range.

I voted for the short, "driveable", par 4. Although I not may be able to drive it. it's amazing how much fun those holes are on tour. Well designed , with a few tricks in them, and if you don't drive the green you could wind up in world of crap! I love watching the "big bombers" slink off the green with par, bogey, or worse!

My favorite type of hole is a short par 5 that presents a risk-reward shot. It could be on the drive or on the second shot. I like holes that make you think about what to do. But I also want a hole that rewards you for a good decision and a good swing.

I also enjoy short par 3s that are well defended. I really dislike long par 3s (anything over 200 yards gets my goat).

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On April 9, 2016 at 1:05 PM, saevel25 said:

I like shorter par 5's because I like the risk/reward for going for it. 

And because you can reach them with two 5-iron's? ;-)

- John

I voted mid-range par 3.  There's nothing I like better than hitting a 5 or 6 iron off a tee.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Speaking inn terms of my score... short par 5's

But if we're talking funnest to play... long par 4's or 5's. I like the challenge of a never ending hole.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

• Administrator
On April 12, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Hardspoon said:

And because you can reach them with two 5-iron's? ;-)

Their group had chosen six irons… :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!