IGNORED

What should we think while playing?

MRugroden
Note:Β This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

There's always something and probably changes with different clubs. I played some of my best golf in ages yesterday, shooting 9 over on a tough links track in spite of being pretty atrocious with my irons.Β 

With the driver and 3 wood, the only thought was 'hit up on it' - worked a treat.Β 

Wedges were 'smack the bounce into the ground' - bar one shot where I forgot this, they were right on the money.

Putter was simply 'rock the shoulders and don't follow the ball with your eyes' - I made about 5 putts outside of 8 feet because of this.

Irons weren't great and I reckon it was me moving my head too much. Ironically, I think it's because I've been using my irons so much recently for one drill trying to ingrain my most recent swing change that I'm not so confident with the longer shots. It'll come, but I probably needed one simple thought for these as well.

In short, one thought is perfect, provided it's not something you have to work too hard to do. More a reminder than anything else.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag:Β Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/12/2016 at 1:47 PM, MRugroden said:

Interesting how many replies are about a feel.

Jeez! I wish I could remember where I heard this and from who. It was recently, so I figure it was on sports talk radio leading up to and through the Masters. This guy was a former tour player. A question came up about the difference between "mechanical" players and "feel" players. He claimed that there was no such thing as a mechanical player, that all better players are feel players. Mechanics are used on the practice tee to develop a good swing, and so the player can learn to feel the proper motion. It's that feel you need to take on the course when you're trying to post a score.

I've also heard golf broadcast commentators refer to a player who was obviously struggling, saying they looked more like they were playing "golf swing" instead of golf.

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2016 at 11:50 PM, rkim291968 said:

I usually tried to think about one specific swing thought that is my current weakness.Β Β  For example, today, I focused on completing back swing and pause at the top.

I have tried this too. Β Now, however, I'm remembering what that feels like. Β I get much better results.

On April 12, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Dave2512 said:

Only one goal here and it's what not to think, anything job related. Minute real world stress creeps in I am toast.Β 

Ditto for me. I try not to think about anything but just enjoy the scenic view. Β Of course it doesn't always work.Β 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

10 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Ditto for me. I try not to think about anything but just enjoy the scenic view. Β Of course it doesn't always work.Β 

Seriously I am at the point golf only works for me if I can unplug. Weekends I can leave the phone in the car. During the week I have to take calls from the office and customers. Nothing mucks up a round like dealing with work crap.

Last night I told the office I would be late to get in 9 holes on this awesomely nice day due to the upcoming snowy weekend. Before I got out of my house I received texts from our office assistant detailing a PITA customer that called to threaten filing a complaint with a regulatory agency over some BS. I knew I wouldn't be able to shake it, not so much being able to forget it just that I'd have to go in and handle it before the texts and shit would stop. Here I sit at my desk in my golf duds, never made it to the course.Β Β 

Β 

Dave :-)

Bummer. I feel your pain. i would not be able to enjoy a round in that situation either.Β 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

If I'm feeling in my hands, I can pretty well hit any shot.

When I'm not, and have a head full of swing thoughts, I'll hum the openingΒ  notes

from the soundtrack to Tin Cup.

Β 

Crazy maybe, but it works somehow.

Mr Mulyak

Brilliance, completely surrounded by bafoonery

When I am playing I normally think about other sports I could take up that I may be better atΒ ;-)

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SWΒ Ping Karsten ironsΒ with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Most Pros have a swing routine....they take 2 practice swings and then step up and take the shot right away.Β Β 

AΒ Pro told me while I was standing over the ball too long andΒ over-thinking what to do before a shot that I was making a mistake.Β Β HeΒ told me to take 1 or 2 practice swings and then step-up and take the shot.Β  In other words, don't think too much just before you swing at the ball.Β 

Β  dunno.jpeg?raw=true

Edited by The Slapper

Was playing rapidly today and no time for mechanical thoughtsΒ 

what works for me is two simple words when I'm addressing the ball

SWING and RELEASE the club. Do not think about my own anatomyΒ 

I have said many times before when I am out playing I feel blessed that I have the privilege to be able to do such. I love the feel of even a suburban nature and taking in my surroundings. I try and think about making good contact with the ball and keeping my head down and eye on the ball all the way through contact. Then I pray I can see and find my ball as I come up. Usually this is not a problem as my ball is either high and slicing or dribbling along the turf inΒ front of me. Β But it's all good, I could be at work or not fortunate enough to have work or a myriad of other things to deal with that I don't have too when I am on course.Β 

Β  Β My only thought right now, if I remember, is slow on the backswing. My sequencing gets off if I go too fast. Only one problem with that, I sometimes (like, almost always) forget.

BrianΒ  Β 

Β 

OMG, OMG, OMG...DAMMIT!

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

My new swing thought is going to be I hope they have duck confit tacos at the brewery, I have a hankerin' for a Hefeweizen.

Dave :-)

During my last round of golf I was thinking ---- "gee I wish those people ahead of me would realize that if it takes you five strokes to get on the green on par 4 holes then you probably shouldn't be playing from the blue tees"

Note:Β This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!