Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have been contemplating taking my 3 iron and reshafting to add a graphite shaft to it. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages? Will it make it easier to to hit? Ive also looked into getting a driving iron but not sure if I would get more out of it then my 3 iron.

9 hours ago, CSTACK said:

So I have been contemplating taking my 3 iron and reshafting to add a graphite shaft to it. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages? Will it make it easier to to hit? Ive also looked into getting a driving iron but not sure if I would get more out of it then my 3 iron.

Welcome to the forum. Graphite may change the swing weight of the club unless they make adjustments for you. Even a stiff graphite shaft may have more flex than a regular steel shaft. Ball flight may be higher too. It all depends on the shaft and your current 3 iron head.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well in terms of 3 Iron vs Driving Iron, depends what type of iron you have. If you play a SGI iron some people prefer driving irons because they produce more penetrating flight and have a little more spin. I personally use a driving iron because I find that it's easier to hit off a tee than the SGI 3 irons

• Upvote 1

I did exactly this to lighten the feel and get the ball flight higher with a higher launching shaft. Haven't been out much but it's changed the way I play so far. I sacrificed a hybrid to make space but it's quickly becoming my go to club on holes that give me trouble. I give up about 35-50 yards to a decent drive but it's easier to control than a fairway.

FWIW I have a SW scale and have done amateur club making so I didn't just toss it in there.

I like graphite shafts in the long irons.  They are lighter and feel better after a miss hit or a swing through heavy rough.  I hit a 3 iron yesterday 215 yards and it felt really good.  It has always been my favorite club.  For average length courses, I carry no fairway woods at all, just a driver.

better to have standard length for shaft? i am also an amateur club maker, what kind of shaft and what kick point have you guys used?

True Temper XP90 

Above is stock steel shaft for the 716 AP1 irons.
  Is this your shaft, in S300? If so, it weighs 97 grams.

Graphite shafts generally are lighter than steel, so a lighter shaft the same length as a heavier shaft will yield a club with less swingweight. To keep same swingweight as your set, you likely would have to tip-weight the graphite before inserting it.

@CSTACK...  What specifically are you looking for in a move to graphite? BTW, the 3i is 19° loft - a tough club for most to hit - and the 4i is 22°. Have you considered replacing the 3i with a graphite-shafted hybrid as a bridge club?

5 hours ago, WUTiger said:

True Temper XP90 

Above is stock steel shaft for the 716 AP1 irons.
  Is this your shaft, in S300? If so, it weighs 97 grams.

Graphite shafts generally are lighter than steel, so a lighter shaft the same length as a heavier shaft will yield a club with less swingweight. To keep same swingweight as your set, you likely would have to tip-weight the graphite before inserting it.

@CSTACK...  What specifically are you looking for in a move to graphite? BTW, the 3i is 19° loft - a tough club for most to hit - and the 4i is 22°. Have you considered replacing the 3i with a graphite-shafted hybrid as a bridge club?

I actually have the 712 AP1s but how many gram do you think I need to add? I have a 3 hybrid as well but looking for some other options as a backup to keep the ball lower 

If you have 712 AP1 irons, the stock steel shaft is Dynalite Gold XP. The S300 weighs 117 grams for taper tip, and 121 grams for parallel tip shaft. (Not sure which AP1 is, but I suspect taper).

Swingweight for 712 AP1 is D2.

The Dynalite Gold is a high-launch shaft, while the Dynamic Gold is a low-launch shaft.

So, are you launching your 3i shots too high? I'm still not sure why you want to reshaft your 3i to graphite.

-----------------

After a few more posts, put your bag mix of clubs in your signature line. That way, we can tell what you have, and maybe get a better idea of what you want.

Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!