IGNORED

6i and below

Jaymancds
Note: This thread is 2893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Definitely keep working on the driver on the driving range cause you will need it if you want to continue to shoot lower scores.  Also if your playing a practice round and the course isn't to busy hit your 6i then tee up a driver just to get conformable using it with a real target.  If you want to hit it on the course at some point your going to have to start hitting it on the course. I think you can only learn so much on the range.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just for a little more reference I can consistently hit about 185-190 with my 6i.  When the driver is straight it is around 270ish.  Not sure what the club head speed is.

I went out again today and played again with just the 6i and below.  I was looking to get around a 47 for an achievable goal for the round.  I ended up with a 49 after a few bad reads on the greens but my shots were solid.  

Sounds to me like the general consensus is to keep playing with what I am comfortable with, practice more with the longer clubs to get consistent, and slowly work them into my game.  Sounds like a good plan.

My long term goal is to get as close as I can to scratch.  If that is a 1-3 handicap then so be it, but the ultimate goal is scratch.  For a shorter term goal (as in before next school golf season) is to get down to being able to be sub 85 consistently so that I can make the varsity team, and do well by my own standards.

I am looking at getting lessons, but currently don't have the $$$ for lessons.  After my job for the summer I am hoping to be able to get true lessons.  I am headed back to the range later this week so we will see how this all works out. Thanks for all of the ideas and help.  I will keep this thread updated later if anything major changes. Thanks again.

:callaway: Mens Strata Plus set

Protected by Ruger firearms.

If you hear my shot, I wasnt aiming at you

54 minutes ago, Jaymancds said:

Just for a little more reference I can consistently hit about 185-190 with my 6i.  When the driver is straight it is around 270ish.  Not sure what the club head speed is.

Sure, that's exactly in line with what I guessed in a previous post. It's still no guarantee of shooting scratch, though. Curiously enough, my son is 16 and hits the same distances, and he shoots high 30s and low 40s. I know that's possible, not sure about shooting 1-3 handicap though. . .

Sounds to me like the general consensus is to keep playing with what I am comfortable with, practice more with the longer clubs to get consistent, and slowly work them into my game.  Sounds like a good plan.

Yes, that's the consensus. Work your way up until you're comfortable. My son had to use a 5W for the longest time, and still goes back to that when his driver fails him.

My long term goal is to get as close as I can to scratch.  If that is a 1-3 handicap then so be it, but the ultimate goal is scratch.  For a shorter term goal (as in before next school golf season) is to get down to being able to be sub 85 consistently so that I can make the varsity team, and do well by my own standards.

Should be possible with a lot of hard work. Getting on varsity should not be a problem next season. Usually teams like to shoot under 200 for a team of 5 players on 9 holes. Par is 180.

I am looking at getting lessons, but currently don't have the $$$ for lessons.  After my job for the summer I am hoping to be able to get true lessons.  I am headed back to the range later this week so we will see how this all works out. Thanks for all of the ideas and help.  I will keep this thread updated later if anything major changes. Thanks again.

Once you join a high school team, there are usually coaches to help you. Try that first. I'm reasonably confident that you can make the team.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

15 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Should be possible with a lot of hard work. Getting on varsity should not be a problem next season. Usually teams like to shoot under 200 for a team of 5 players on 9 holes. Par is 180.

Maybe it's different by you but almost every HS golf match I've heard about drops the highest score. Averaging 4 over per player per 9 is a good goal though.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

12 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Maybe it's different by you but almost every HS golf match I've heard about drops the highest score. Averaging 4 over per player per 9 is a good goal though.

Not sure about in your area, but both my kid's leagues score 5 on 9 holes. I just confirmed with them.

So, to the OP, the main thing is to shoot 38 to 42 for 9 holes.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, Jaymancds said:

You're a similar size to me (I've lost a few lbs recently tho :P) and those distances are similar to mine, so I'd be willing to bet your driver clubhead speed is going to be right there in the 106-107 ish range.

15 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Honestly, I ignored his comment about scratch.  That's putting the cart so far before the horse that the horse's sire and dam haven't even been conceived yet.  The best he's ever done won't even get him an 18 handicap, so he has a long way to go before he talks about scratch.  

I've known guys who drove the ball consistently and never got lower than 10 handicap.  I was even one of them at one time.  I still drive the ball okay for an old fart, certainly better than his 6 iron, but I'm not talking scratch.  I'd just like to break 80 again in my life, just once.  I was closer to my old self for this week with an 85, 88 and 86 on three consecutive rounds, but right now my only goal is to keep creeping up on 80.  

I am a believer in setting achievable goals, and then setting higher goals once you've reached the current one.  Small steps, not quantum leaps is how most progress in golf is measured.

And the wheel hadn't been invented!

Distance is important. Accuracy is also important. GIR is King. I find that people who are wild with the driver, myself at times included, also have more issues with their iron game than they are willing to accept or believe. Swing flaws don't magically disappear with club length. But the result of the error may not be as bad with the shorter club, so we imagine that we are better with them.

Your potential as a golfer starts with your full swing. Improving that will make the most impact.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Agree completely with the advice you've gotten so far re: sticking with what's working for you while building skill and confidence in your woods and long irons.   I've followed a similar plan as my driver worked against me for a bit - I had to force myself to play it until I found it again but was selective to only pull it out on "safer" holes.  It'll come around.

Just a thought but have you considered trying/demo-ing a 3-hybrid or similar?  May give you the added length you're sacrificing but with more forgiveness.  

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

I hadn't thought about a 3H.  Looking at upgrading my irons once I have a little bit of spending money.  I beat the heck out of them while I learned how to play.

Im headed out to the range.  We'll see what works. Thanks again.

:callaway: Mens Strata Plus set

Protected by Ruger firearms.

If you hear my shot, I wasnt aiming at you

Note: This thread is 2893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!