IGNORED

Fox announcing lineup for 2016 USO finalized

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ken Brown on Fox? That's going to be weird. That's a lot of analysts. Disappointed Duval's not in there. All that talk about Sonders last year, this year, zilch. Don't watch Golf Channel news, so maybe they mentioned her, but not seeing anything on the internets.

Play by Play: Joe Buck and Shane O’Donoghue
Analysts: Paul Azinger, Mark Brooks, Jay Delsing, Brad Faxon, David Fay, Steve Flesch, Natalie Gulbis, Gil Hanse, Juli Inkster, Buddy Marucci and Scott McCarron
On-course reporters: Curtis Strange and Ken Brown
Studio Host: Holly Sonders
Interviews: Shane Bacon
Reporter: Jaime Diaz

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/fox-sports-reveals-usga-lineup-that-looks-to-win-golf-fans-over-in-year-two.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It came out earlier this week that Mike Tirico was leaving ESPN for NBC. He's not changing networks just to call Thursday night NFL games.

I sense that Fox is about to poach a big piece of NBC's on-air talent to improve its U.S. Open coverage, but I can't say which part of its 2016 announcing line-up is the weakest link: Sonders as the studio host, or Buck and O'Donoghue in the booth.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

5 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Ken Brown on Fox? That's going to be weird. That's a lot of analysts. Disappointed Duval's not in there. All that talk about Sonders last year, this year, zilch. Don't watch Golf Channel news, so maybe they mentioned her, but not seeing anything on the internets.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/fox-sports-reveals-usga-lineup-that-looks-to-win-golf-fans-over-in-year-two.html

She's listed as a studio host in your quote.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

They all sound the same with the mute button on.........:-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

7 minutes ago, jamo said:

She's listed as a studio host in your quote.

I worded that wrong, I meant all the pregame talk about her  before her stint, granted it was her first year from GC to Fox.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

It came out earlier this week that Mike Tirico was leaving ESPN for NBC. He's not changing networks just to call Thursday night NFL games.

I sense that Fox is about to poach a big piece of NBC's on-air talent to improve its U.S. Open coverage, but I can't say which part of its 2016 announcing line-up is the weakest link: Sonders as the studio host, or Buck and O'Donoghue in the booth.

Tirico leaving surprised me since he had a good gig on ESPN. My guess is Gruden will leave the booth after this year as well and head back to the sidelines. But my thinking is Al Michaels is getting up there in age and is probably gonna call it quits after next years Super Bowl and Tirico will take over. Not sure there's any room for Tirico doing golf coverage. NBC is already pretty loaded. I could see him helping out in the big events like The British Open, Olympics and Ryder Cup.

5 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Not sure if Dan Hicks qualifies as big, but poaching material?

Steve

43 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Or Costas goes to Fox, says he wants to call baseball games again.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Hicks is pretty good. I really his and Millers chemistry. They're really good together, in my mind. I like him a lot more than Nantz and Buck. I think Tirico will be involved a lot in the Olympics since that's NBCs biggest event every two years.

Can't believe Fox won't find someplace to fit in Tirico at the Open - he's had plenty of experience over at ESPN/ABC with golf and while his style is a bit more "cheerleader" than some of us like, he is a comfortable and familiar voice for those who have watched the NBA and NFL where he has also done events. 

Really looking forward to Azinger as the main color guy - he knows his stuff, knows what it takes to compete and seems to do his homework.  Not sure what to make of Curtis Strange as a reporter on-course - I get it that he won two Opens and can probably provide us with some insights from the course aboutn conditions and such, but wonder about his ability to get inside the head of the contenders as they play the final holes as Curtis always seemed to be the kind of guy that wasn't willing to share his emotions or insights after his own rounds.

Wondering if it might be Custer's Last Stand for Sonders at Fox as they try to find someplace where she can fit in - I wonder if she doesn't do well at this year's Open if Fox will look for some way to drop her altogether (if her contract will allow it).  She might have already been at her ceiling on the Golf Channel so if Fox casts her off perhaps she might have to go back there to keep in the public view or risk slipping out of sight.

15 hours ago, Coronagolfman said:

Can't believe Fox won't find someplace to fit in Tirico at the Open - he's had plenty of experience over at ESPN/ABC with golf and while his style is a bit more "cheerleader" than some of us like, he is a comfortable and familiar voice for those who have watched the NBA and NFL where he has also done events. 

Really looking forward to Azinger as the main color guy - he knows his stuff, knows what it takes to compete and seems to do his homework.  Not sure what to make of Curtis Strange as a reporter on-course - I get it that he won two Opens and can probably provide us with some insights from the course aboutn conditions and such, but wonder about his ability to get inside the head of the contenders as they play the final holes as Curtis always seemed to be the kind of guy that wasn't willing to share his emotions or insights after his own rounds.

Wondering if it might be Custer's Last Stand for Sonders at Fox as they try to find someplace where she can fit in - I wonder if she doesn't do well at this year's Open if Fox will look for some way to drop her altogether (if her contract will allow it).  She might have already been at her ceiling on the Golf Channel so if Fox casts her off perhaps she might have to go back there to keep in the public view or risk slipping out of sight.

I like him better than Joe Buck, for sure.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Tirico gives me the impression that he did his homework, background on the players, the tournament, the history/stats. And is not as hyperbolic. 

Steve

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Tirico gives me the impression that he did his homework, background on the players, the tournament, the history/stats. And is not as hyperbolic. 

I definitely have more nostalgia for Tirico's commentary style on those early mornings of British Open coverage than I do for the schmaltz of Nantz at the Masters. That feeling of waking up, brewing some coffee, and relaxing to the sights and sounds of a windy and rainy course setup 5 hours ahead of my time zone, as Tirico sets the stage. Maybe my favorite time of golf season right there. 

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

7 minutes ago, bogdan101 said:

No, they sound better...

You are right. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

15 hours ago, RandallT said:

I definitely have more nostalgia for Tirico's commentary style on those early mornings of British Open coverage than I do for the schmaltz of Nantz at the Masters. That feeling of waking up, brewing some coffee, and relaxing to the sights and sounds of a windy and rainy course setup 5 hours ahead of my time zone, as Tirico sets the stage. Maybe my favorite time of golf season right there. 

The British Open has always been my favorite Major, for this exact reason. I'm bummed I won't be "working" from home this year on Thursday or Friday.

- John

8 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

The British Open has always been my favorite Major, for this exact reason. I'm bummed I won't be "working" from home this year on Thursday or Friday.

You don't look "well" though. Are you sure you are not coming down with something?:whistle:

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!