IGNORED

Needs a lesson in anger management?

Note: This thread is 1723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As any golfer knows, tempers can flare out on the course, but they rarely result in a felony.

Prosecutors have filed a second-degree assault charge against a man accused of using a golf cart to run down and strike a fellow golfer at a Denver course. 

Richard Ponds, 57, is accused in the April 3 hit-and-run at Wellshire Golf Course.

The alleged victim told police he got into a verbal argument with Ponds because Ponds was sitting in a cart in the middle of the course despite being done golfing, according to an arrest warrant.

The victim told police Ponds then drove the cart "full speed" at him. When he realized Ponds was not going to stop, the victim said he tried to dive out of the way but was too late. The affidavit says Ponds then kept on driving toward the course's parking lot.

The victim suffered bruised ribs and a cut to the side of his forehead that required stitches at a hospital, according to the affidavit. 

Harold Appell, who works at the pro shop for Patty Jewett Golf Course in Colorado Springs, one of the oldest public courses in the West, said he's seen plenty of head-butting, punches and angry words during his 40 years of golf, but never a hit-and-run with a cart.

"It's public golf, people are crazy," he said. "What can I say? It's like road rage — people just get upset."

Ponds was identified, police say, by several witnesses. He posted $5,000 bond and was released. He is due back in court May 17 to be advised of the accusations against him.

Yeah, a hit and run with a golf cart is pretty much over the top. What ever the bad guy gets will be deserving if convicted. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, skywaterbanjo said:

As any golfer knows, tempers can flare out on the course, but they rarely result in a felony.

Prosecutors have filed a second-degree assault charge against a man accused of using a golf cart to run down and strike a fellow golfer at a Denver course. 

Richard Ponds, 57, is accused in the April 3 hit-and-run at Wellshire Golf Course.

The alleged victim told police he got into a verbal argument with Ponds because Ponds was sitting in a cart in the middle of the course despite being done golfing, according to an arrest warrant.

The victim told police Ponds then drove the cart "full speed" at him. When he realized Ponds was not going to stop, the victim said he tried to dive out of the way but was too late. The affidavit says Ponds then kept on driving toward the course's parking lot.

The victim suffered bruised ribs and a cut to the side of his forehead that required stitches at a hospital, according to the affidavit. 

Harold Appell, who works at the pro shop for Patty Jewett Golf Course in Colorado Springs, one of the oldest public courses in the West, said he's seen plenty of head-butting, punches and angry words during his 40 years of golf, but never a hit-and-run with a cart.

"It's public golf, people are crazy," he said. "What can I say? It's like road rage — people just get upset."

Ponds was identified, police say, by several witnesses. He posted $5,000 bond and was released. He is due back in court May 17 to be advised of the accusations against him.

I simply would have looked into my bag and see what club I would use to carry over the Ponds - yeah I know, it's bad humor

• Upvote 1

Wow! That's just unbelievable. 

But then again, people do some stupid and crazy things.

Never heard of road rage on a golf course.  What is common though are newbies drinking during company sponsored tournaments and driving recklessly.  They have been several accidents involving people I know over the years. A common scenario is to turn over a cart and break someone's arm.

Saw the story on local news this AM. The victim was playing it up like it was attempted murder. Now I don't think it was right the guy trying to run him down but his display of his injury was right up there with a 3 yr old that walks around showing their 2 millimeter scab like it's a war wound.

Note: This thread is 1723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!