IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge May 2016

iacas
Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5/3/15:

75% swings with a 9i without balls this morning, focusing on shoulder inclination and balance. I think I'm doing better with the 75% speed swings as far as contact. Much more under control, I'm getting my weight over and not losing my balance, plus I'm getting 135 carry out of a 9i, I can hit it further than that, but I'm more consistent which is more important anyway.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Practiced for around 30 minutes this morning.  I took some video.  I worked on seeing how I can push my release closer to impact and I found I can push it a lot closer.  By fixing my downswing path with the understanding that I want to have inertia keep the clubhead from releasing as long as possible - I was making what felt like a completely different move.  Much more down.  My spine tilt wants to remain through impact vs lift up too soon.  My leg whip has become the number 1 issue again.  Now that I got the downswing path and release more correct, the leg whip is what's really messing it up. 

I took some swings with a chair up against my left side and immediately felt super awkward again - like when I first started doing that drill.  So for the next several sessions, I'll be working on my improved downswing path and later release point with a chair up against my left side.  Right now - it feels like I want/have to make this huge hip slide to make room to come down the path I want. 

Played a practice round of 18 holes today (walking). First portion was rainy, and the rest was just wet. Played alone with nobody behind me, so I took my time, focusing on all the same things of May 1 (indoor only) and May 2 (same things but on range). Not often I can work on the same things 3 days in a row, going from indoor to range to course.

Posture/grip. Backswing fundamentals with right elbow, full shoulder turn staying centered, left wrist not cupping.

Added new element of aligning every shot using an intermediate point a couple feet in front of my ball for every shot. I felt that every shot was pointed left of my target. I feel like I hit more shots online than a typical round, however, so I think my natural aim was significantly right.

I played 3 or 4 balls most of the round, not concerned with outcome. I played from the spot of the median shot- not any outlier good or bad. I don't think my score would've been great, but the point was to bring the previous days' practice to the course, and that was successful. I typically go into "game mode" and forget lessons, but this gave me a chance to take my time and focus. Get the right swing feels on the course.

I played Hole 15-18 straight, without extra balls. Par (3), bogey (5), bogey (5), par (5). That felt pretty satisfying, as I didn't tire as much down the stretch as my last outing.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

10 minutes mirror work before my workout. Focused on right elbow getting in front of my right side as my right hip rotates from A4 to A7.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Worked on short pitches with 54* in my back yard range before work today.  Starting to get better hinging and rolling toe open, as per Dave and Erik's 2010 video.

Note for later this week: On full swing, check to make sure left shoulder is under chin at top. I'm inconsistent on this, and I think it may contribute to recurring spinny and OTT swings because I'm not coiled properly.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Continued my tee shot drill for 30 minutes and chipping 10 minutes both inside using net then to range and continued slow mo my tee shot drill, 65 balls and 20 balls chipping.

Under construction, signature and game.

• Administrator

I practiced and mapped my partial wedge yardages for this year. Took about an hour, as usual. I had the golf team do this as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5/3

I went to the range today and worked on some suggestions from a lesson I had last week.  I was primarily working on keeping my head down as the club hit the ball and ending in a good position.

I definitely hit some bad shots but also felt like I was hitting plenty of good ones in there as well.  

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Took the driver out back and hit some foam balls. I've noticed an improvement with my irons lately by incorporating a classic pick-up-the-lead-heel move at the top of the swing, but I hadn't tried it out with the driver yet. Mainly, I was focusing on getting the weight forward on the downswing (a problem for me with my normal swing), but I noticed that I was blocking shots to the left. I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow; I'll figure out more then.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Worked on bottom of swing and release with swing rite stick.  Then tried 3/4 shots but still utilizing full (for me) or more shoulder turn. 

Some more slow indoor swings working on level shoulders at A6 with the clubhead behind my hands.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Just finished up a quick practice session - hit around 25 9 irons.  I figured out something pretty big. 

So, I recently "realized" that I was starting my release from the top of my downswing.  I realized this because I noticed that my path on the downswing was going *out* not *down*.  As soon as I changed the path to *down*, I moved my release a tiny bit forward and then I could notice, on video, this "flip-out" where my arms, club shaft get over the plane and start dumping lag into the ball. 

I kind of grabbed onto this feeling and started trying to push the "flip-out" as close to impact as possible - but ran into more problems.  I could move it somewhat closer, but my legs were whipping forward. Something was keeping impact in the center of my 2 legs. 

Then I realized that what I need to do is aggressively (for me) swing out to the right and allow my arms to fully extend.  OK - got that feeling - I messed with that before but never in the right context.  This changes quite a bit, in terms of what it feels like. 

The piece I figured out tonight is extremely hard for me to explain.  I took the manipulated "tour pro chip" move that I do and started to work with it in the context of my recent changes.  It felt like my chest was swinging into the ball.  At first my follow through was stopping at about shoulder high - but I liked the position.  Then I pulled out a thought from a good while back . .getting my arms high in the backswing and incorporated that.  For clarity, not that anybody is really paying attention here (which is what I love about this topic) . when I try to "really get my arms up" in the backswing, it's barely noticeable on video. . it's more of a feel than real.  

Once I started to have the feel of getting my arms up high in the backswing, I started to have better follow throughs.  Feeling very much like I'm tossing the club up into the backswing, letting it fall into it's final position, then starting down with the intent that I'm going to swing all the way right until I "run out of arm" if that make any sense, lol.

Impact was good, extension was good.  Not so much a problem with my leg whipping, but my arms were still in between my legs.  So . .then I realized that the cause of that was my weight shift.  I started working on getting my weight shift more forward.  I tried to focus on taking it back, loading the inside of my right foot, letting the club fall into position, *planting my left foot" and then starting down.  Hilarious results.  My right foot actually came off the ground, lol. 

But I know I'm on the right track. Video doesn't lie and the video is getting better and better.  Impact doesn't lie and my impact is getting better and better.  I realized as I hit through my 25 or so 9irons . .I'm doing all these weird things but I'm flushing them (by my standards) just about every time.

Just a short range session today. Worked on my shot map for the 8 iron on the simulator, quite pleased with it in general other than two fairly big pushes which were my anomoly but could cause trouble on the course. all the others formed a nice tight dispersion. I worked for a while on where those pushes were coming from and they appear to be when i get a touch out of sync and fire my body/shoulders forward too early in the downswing.

Hi, My name is Matt.

On 5/3/2016 at 5:16 AM, Lihu said:

So, working on the transition and swing path to prevent the fades and "pulls". My pulls might have been straight off the toe line, but I didn't really check them. Working on my aiming and toe line alignment in the mirror and using alignment sticks. Rehearsing the setup for my range session today.

Doing more of the same. Trying to incorporate proper alignment into my setup routine.

My back swing transition move is a little less tense now. Still working on limiting how far I go without any tension.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5/4/16:

Worked on A1 to A4 keeping my shoulder inclination... Trying to get the feeling I'm staying level. I'm also taking the club back at about 75% speed compared to what I was before.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I've been practicing in short bursts today - trying to work more on the feel I had last night.  It's really hard to explain in words.  The best I can do right now is probably this . .

I was trying to *get* my impact into the right place.  But what I'm feeling now is I'm *putting* my impact in the right place, mentally, *first* .and swinging it from there.  So if I know how I'm going to come into impact before I take the club back . it changes the whole feel in a way you can't really see that much in the backswing but makes a huge difference in the downswing and impact. 

It's like . . I used to focus a lot on keeping the club in front of me in the backswing . .now I'm keeping it in front of me all the way through. 

Now it's more up to my weight shift where the impact/release is going to happen. 

Anyway - solid progress.  I hit about 30 shots just now.  No video.  Will do one later this evening. 

Played 18 today. Hit 6/14 fairways and 3 GIR. Misses were much better today and overall contact was pretty good, just missing direction both ways. The slow mo drills have helped my tempo. 

Did more My tee shot drill at home after round.

Under construction, signature and game.

Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!