IGNORED

GAME GOLF Accuracy (Poll and Discussion)

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 2898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

GAME GOLF Stats  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How thoroughly do you edit your GAME GOLF rounds?

• I do not own a GAME GOLF.
    • I do not edit my rounds at all.
    • I edit enough to make sure the score is accurate.
    • I correct any glaring mistakes.
    • I flip through each hole and make a few adjustments here and there.
    • I edit each hole to make sure everything is as accurate as possible.

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

(As you see, they also have a select tee box button, but I don't know why that's still there--they don't use that for anything that I can see. Β When I first started using it, they had the tees for my home course all messed up; I emailed them the scorecard and theyΒ made it even worse; I emailed them back, and they said not to worry about it.)

I think they may still use the tees for your handicap. I always select the tee box I played.

If you don't, they use distance, IIRC.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Weird rounds, things like I play 5 holes and it starts to rain or I get called back to work I delete. If I sign a round in GG it's something I post to GHIN and I want them to be consistent. Which has nothing to do with the accuracy so anyway...

What I'd like to see is more drop-down options for designating areas of the course and shot data to improve the stat data. That said not sure what rock solid stats help a golfer at my level learn. Without GG I knew my #1 flaw is ball striking. Using GG #1 flaw is still ball striking. The stats jump around round to round and some things are odd, looking at my last round SG stats it had me losing 4.68 strokes to a scratch golfer putting. I did have a 3 putt but no way my driving was better than my putting.

Dave :-)

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think they may still use the tees for your handicap. I always select the tee box I played.

If you don't, they use distance, IIRC.

I didn't know that--I thought they used distance only (I'm assuming from the GPS of the tee shot to the pin straight line--leaving out dogleg distances).

Last year (April 2015), I tried to get them to correct the info on a couple of courses, and some of it was even worse. Β They emailed back that "we are in the process of taking away the slope and rating from the scorecard. The information will not be used until a later stage. Our current road map will only use the Par and stroke index," so I didn't bother to get them to fix it again.

I see that they have a "custom" tee option in the "select tee"Β signout, so I'll start using that with the correct info.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: SilencerΒ bag (on the :clicgear:Β cart)
Driver: :callaway:Β Razr Fit 10.5Β° Β 
5 Wood: :tmade:Β Burner Β 
Hybrid: :cobra:Β Baffler DWSΒ 20Β°
Irons: :ping:Β G400Β 
Wedge:Β :ping:Β Glide 2.0Β 54Β° ES grindΒ 
Putter: :heavyputter:Β  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,Β Β :bushnell:Β Tour V4

Would be nice if the GG handicap was more accurate. I don't see any reason they couldn't use the standard method and have the CR in there when we select a tee. The difference between GHIN and GG for me is aboutΒ two points. But there is a lot of stuff I wish it did.

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

You don't have to leave it unsigned. Β They put in aΒ couple of options. Β When you're finished reviewing the round, select the gear (or whatever) button next to theΒ "sign round" button: Β 

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 5.46.39 PM.png

Β 

Β I didn't know about that feature. Β Thanks for pointing it out. Β The "select tee box" will be useful for me, although I'm guessing it will be an avg tee box location much like the middle of the green flag location. Β 

I voted "I edit each hole to make sure everything is as accurate as possible." Β  I go back and look at each hole, making changes as necessary for accuracy. Β I adjust the pin position on nearly every hole. Β It's usually pretty easy to get the right pin position since I play the same home course, and I generally remember where I played my shots from in relation to trees and landmarks, and the putt that I holed out on each holeΒ (e.g., 1 footer from behind the hole, etc.)Β 

I seldom change the location of a shot on the course unless I know the GPS is off a bit. Β It usually looks pretty close to me. Β 

My biggest dig with GG is that I often use a club for other than it's intended distance, and sometimes it's counted in the stats for that club. Β For example, I often use my 7i or 9i forΒ chipping around the greens, andΒ my 5i or sometimes my 3W to punch out from under trees. Β The short chip shots don't seem to show up in the club stats. Β But sometimes a punchout will. Β It pains me to see a 5i shot listed as 75 yds in my club stats. Β But, whatever. Β 

Also, I wish there was a notes section where I could type in thoughts about my round that wouldΒ be kept private. Β 

I voted that IΒ try to get each round as close as possible. Β I usually review my rounds as soon as IΒ can when IΒ get home since the round will still be fresh in my mind. Β I have trouble estimating putting distance outside of 10 orΒ 12 feet but IΒ try to take as good of a guess as I can to make the strokes gained insights as useful as possible. Β The system seems to be fairly accurate but I find that I do have to move shots around a little on most holes to get close to what I had on the course. Β 

I use a laser rangefinder on the course and have noticed that the club distances can be a little off--for example: I'll laser a pin at 150, hit the ball 10 feet past the pin, and then GG will say the shot was 148 yards. Β It's easy to fix andΒ I just chalk that up to inaccurate GPS in general and not GG's fault but it can skew club distances over time if you don't pay attention to it. Β  Also the shot detection seems to be very sensitive on my GG unit. Β When I play a round with my dad, who hits the ball significantly shorter than I do, I find that I have to delete about 10 "detected shots". Β I've had to delete some "detected" shots where I never even got out of the golf cart while he was hitting. Β 

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15Β 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

On 4/29/2016 at 5:52 PM, billchao said:

I go through each shot and make sure it is accurate, editing as necessary. I'm pretty meticulous about it.

Sometimes the course mapping does funky things like set you at the wrong tee box. Sometimes I'm just in (or not) a bunker or rough and the margin of error on the GPS has me otherwise, so I correct that. I tend to use my putter a lot from off the green and if I am close enough, it assumes I'm on it. I write down the length of my first putt (estimating as best as I can) and make sure that and the ensuing putts are accurate, too, which is much easier since they added the distance of putts.

I think I'm going to start doing this. Β I'm bad at estimating distances so I'll likely just use the my putter as a reference, haha.Β 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

1 hour ago, RFKFREAK said:

I think I'm going to start doing this. Β I'm bad at estimating distances so I'll likely just use the my putter as a reference, haha.Β 

A bit OT, but I learned mostly from practice. 3, 6, 9, and 15' putts are distances I commonly use. I have a 33' putter so I use that as a measure and after a while you learn to recognize the distances on the course.

• Upvote 1

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Sometimes the GG software is just crazy. Β Looking over my last round, it had added several strokes on to hole #2. Β Apparently, I forgot to tag my 5i in the tee box of hole #3. Β So GG showed me putting twice on hole #2 with my second putt flying all the way down the fairway to the fringe of hole #3, aΒ 187 yard par 3. Β Then, still tracking hole #2, it showed me pitch up onto #3, and putt twice. Β But it showed my second putt flying all the way back down the fairway, and into hole #2. Β Crazy. Β :-DΒ 

9 hours ago, billchao said:

I have a 33' putter

Must be tough to get that to/from the course...do you have a roof rack on your car?Β :-P

• Upvote 2

- John

Note: I use GameGolf from my phone.

I edit my rounds to make sure the score is accurate. I used to correct club distance mistakes but no longer do. This is an example of what happens almost every round:

WrongTeeBox.jpg

It's recording my tee shot from the wrong tee box. The first time I thought I'd tagged my club too soon. But on subsequent rounds, I made absolutelyΒ sure I was standing on the correct spot (tee box just on the other side of the cart path). It shows my six iron hitting over 190 yards so it was an immediate red flag.

But this is really a minor thing. Even if I had paid for the hardware and this happened, I'd still be happy with what the product offers.

Jon

I reconcile my round with my scorecard so that matches scores posted for handicap. I don't move things around, unless a club was missed, or ball was actually in or out of the fairway opposite of Game Golf. It's not a terribly precise system because of GPS, but I certainly don't need precision within inches. I just need and want a consistent estimate.Β 

Sharing each round with my instructor has been helpful, including yesterday's round which was very intense playing lesson.

Β 

On 4/30/2016 at 0:27 PM, Dave2512 said:

Would be nice if the GG handicap was more accurate. I don't see any reason they couldn't use the standard method and have the CR in there when we select a tee. The difference between GHIN and GG for me is aboutΒ two points. But there is a lot of stuff I wish it did.

That's pretty strange, because my GG HC is less than .5 off most of the time. Right now it shows me at 17 and my official is 17.3.Β 

On a side note, I had been making sure everything was pretty accurate but I slacked on making the pin and putt spots as accurate as I could get them. I'm going to start being more diligent at that from now on, even if I just have to take a picture of the green so I can go back afterword to put it in. It would be nice if there was a button that allowed you to mark the pin in the app. Of course, that's just me being lazy, but it would be much quicker and easier to just tap "set flag" or something when you holed out.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

18 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

It's recording my tee shot from the wrong tee box. The first time I thought I'd tagged my club too soon. But on subsequent rounds, I made absolutelyΒ sure I was standing on the correct spot (tee box just on the other side of the cart path). It shows my six iron hitting over 190 yards so it was an immediate red flag.

You can edit your rounds as many times as you want on the computer :whistle:

10 hours ago, Tod said:

I reconcile my round with my scorecard so that matches scores posted for handicap. I don't move things around, unless a club was missed, or ball was actually in or out of the fairway opposite of Game Golf.

If you have the newer Game Golf with the Strokes Gained aspect then you would be seriously messing up your stats if you don't edit the correct distances on the putting. Especially since Game Golf assumes the last putt made on a holeΒ is a tap in.

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

The SG stats are provided from their site not a device. And yeah putting is the easiest thing to miss when editing because the flag placement is often not close to actual, especially with 1 putts.

12 hours ago, saevel25 said:

You can edit your rounds as many times as you want on the computer :whistle:

Just in case you missed this part of my post:

On May 1, 2016 at 0:59 PM, JonMA1 said:

I used to correct club distance mistakes but no longer do.

It's just not that important to me to go through and edit distances. If I hit the ball cleanly, I know how far the shot will go.

I still prefer to keep score by hand, but if I'm going to share my GG rounds I want the score to be accurate. So I'll edit the rounds (as many times as I want on my computer) in case I missed a tag or something.

Jon

So far I've had to edit each round pretty thoroughly after the round. I'm currently using the app with the tags and I haven't been able to get it to work successfully.Β I've been trying for 3 rounds now and it's a little cumbersome. My phone goes black or opens the Google Search function, orΒ I have to unlock my phone and open the running Game Golf App to tag my club. It's driving me a little crazy and I"m about to buy the beltΒ unit. Has anyone got the app to work? Let me know if I should post in a different forum.Β 

I do have another question, how does one account for pitch and runs with the 8 iron that only goes 5 yards versus your regular distance? Is there a better way to show these shots? Also, do I need to set my phone to always on in order to avoid it locking? Thanks in advance.Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!