Sign in to follow this  
Ale_Dog

6 Person Competition

Note: This thread is 1231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 posts / 815 viewsLast Reply

I have a group of 6 long-time high school friends getting together for a round of golf. Trying to think of the best way to have everyone play together in some kind of competition.  Players range from 2 who shoot at around 90, 2 who are around 100, and 2 who don't play at all. More about the fun and camaraderie than about low scores for us.  The course we will play at will not allow more than 4 to tee together.  

What would be the best way to have everyone get a chance to play with one another and keep it fun?

Was thinking of 2 groups of 3 that rotate every 9 holes, playing 27 holes in total. Not sure how to devise the competition part though.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

27 minutes ago, Ale_Dog said:

I have a group of 6 long-time high school friends getting together for a round of golf. Trying to think of the best way to have everyone play together in some kind of competition.  Players range from 2 who shoot at around 90, 2 who are around 100, and 2 who don't play at all. More about the fun and camaraderie than about low scores for us.  The course we will play at will not allow more than 4 to tee together.  

What would be the best way to have everyone get a chance to play with one another and keep it fun?

Was thinking of 2 groups of 3 that rotate every 9 holes, playing 27 holes in total. Not sure how to devise the competition part though.

Having two people who don't actually play golf pretty much rule out any competition format except perhaps a scramble where they are kept on separate teams.

Rotating groups sounds good in theory but it will cause delays if you have to wait on the 10th tee for the group behind to finish the 9th.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only other competition choice I'd suggest is the Calloway Handicapping system.  It basically calculates a handicap based on the player's score for the day.  Here's a decent explanation of how it works:

http://www.leaderboard.com/callaway.htm

One good thing, they limit a player's score to double par, which would allow someone to pick up without finishing every hole, that can help you guys maintain your pace of play.  

Since camaraderie and making sure everyone plays together are the goals, maybe you should mix the teams up a couple times during the round.  Say, every three holes each team could pick a guy off the other team to play for three holes, then send him back after three holes and pick another--can't pick the same guy twice.  Maybe do this after holes 3, 6, 9 &12.  Then after hole 15 you'd go back to the original teams to finish the round.  You could coordinate the trades by cell phone.  Just an idea..

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

With 2 guys that don't play at all, I recommend bowling.

Seriously.

I was once one of those guys who had never played, I went on a scramble similar to the one being set up here and am now an avid golfer playing as much as I can. As long as the organiser/best player in the group keeps things moving there is no need for tht group to be slow and you might just introduce a new golfer. We all have to be careful not to fall into the elitist snobbery that golf is viewed by many who don't play (it is in the UK at least)

I wouldn't have gone bowling ;)

44 minutes ago, Dinoma said:

I wouldn't have gone bowling ;)

Bowling has an advantage, in that the bar is always pretty close at all times.

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

With 2 guys that don't play at all, I recommend bowling.

Seriously.

Yep, seriously.

Bowling is perhaps the easiest game I've played as a never played before beginner (which was just about a year ago when I joined our company league).  And, bowling is fun to play as a beginner.

Golf has to be one of the hardest games I've played as a never played before beginner.  Golf, not so fun as a first time beginner.

Nothing elitist about it in my mind. We were all there at one time and when we were we didn't belong on the golf course.  The driving range is the place to be if you've never played before.

The non-players have a good sense of humor.  I'm sure it will be good for many laughs.  But I'm totally glad you mentioned bowling. There is a small bowling alley in the town we are staying in--definelty having an evening competition (with numerous runs to the bar Dave). And everyone is about equally bad at bowling. 

Note: This thread is 1231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!