Note: This thread is 2914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bad Luck or Bad Shot?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Watch the video in the first post. Give it some thought. Was the shot bad luck or a bad shot?

• Bad Shot/Bad Decision
    • Rotten Luck

It was a bit of both... i honestly think it was a bad shot, but not a bad decision with a bit of bad luck mixed in... 

I honestly think by the sound of it, he pulled it a smidge (he's a lefty), I think he was trying to go more left than the ball did and he just pulled it 15 feet too far right.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Whoa, lots of people voting for "bad shot/decision." Even if you're right, don't you guys know never to blame yourself in this game?? :-D Hurts the confidence. 

It's always someone else's fault.

47 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Yeah, lol . .flawed poll. You forgot "Caddie gave him the wrong club"

Water on the clubface, bro!!!!

Where was he aiming?  Without knowing that this poll is just a guess.

I'm assuming he was considering his shot zone and was aiming a decent margin to the left of the hole and this shot got away from him by a bit.    So good decision but bad shot is my guess.  Everyone has bad shots but a player at this level has them at a low enough percent that he was also unlucky.

Bad shot/Rotten Luck

37 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

That's why he lumped bad shot and bad decision into the same poll choice.  You'd only have to know where he was aiming to decipher between those two.

Tough for me to call it. They mention that he aimed "well to the left, counting on a big draw" which would indicate that he was giving it plenty of room to move. I would say that means he probably got more wind push than he anticipated which would equal bad luck. Then again, hitting a draw with wind pushing in the same direction as the ball flight is already going seems like a somewhat bad decision. That being said, under pressure you should go with whatever stock shot you have and I doubt he'd have hit a draw if his stock shape was a fade. I'm more leaning towards bad luck with getting more added ball movement due to the wind.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

He is as close as you get to being a pro really, bad luck would be if the ball hit the flag stick and then rolled into the water, but the way I see it he probably should have used 1 less club and tried to hit it to the front of the green.  Was this the first time he has played the course?  He must have known how close the water was.  I don't see how luck has anything to do with what happened.

• Upvote 1

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

4 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

bad luck would be if the ball hit the flag stick and then rolled into the water

This is why I called the headline "clickbait."  I expected exactly this when I first watched the video.

4 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Was this the first time he has played the course?  He must have known how close the water was.  I don't see how luck has anything to do with what happened.

Even if this was the first tournament he's played there, with just one practice round, this would have been the fifth time he's played it - lack of familiarity certainly can't be an excuse.

Hard to tell without more details, knowledge of the green contours and the average amount of wind around the time of his shot (the flag isn't moving much, but it is moving some) would help.

I think bad shot choice of the contours long and left of the hole sloped toward the hazard. Hitting a shot with the wind tends to lower the trajectory and lengthen the shot, but the finish of his arm position looks like he may have been flighting it low as well (or he has a stock flattish swing) making the lower trajectory even more of an issue for limiting runout.

Either way to me, it would seem safer to have a shot target short and left of the hole with his 'stock draw'. He may well have, but overcooked it. IMO if the wind was appreciable the danger of going long may have strategically called for a fade to hold it against the wind for a softer less 'hot' landing or at least one club less with his stock swing to keep the landing spot well short of the hole..

Kevin

• Administrator
8 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Drew answered it:

7 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

That's why he lumped bad shot and bad decision into the same poll choice.  You'd only have to know where he was aiming to decipher between those two.

I see it as a bad shot or a bad decision. Short and left was the play. Flying it pin-deep with that wind and slope and water was a mistake of one kind or the other.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

I see it as a bad shot or a bad decision. Short and left was the play. Flying it pin-deep with that wind and slope and water was a mistake of one kind or the other.

Yea, IIRC, the guy who won missed it short/left and got up and down.

Constantine

Cody had one job, don't put it in the water. If hitting near the pin increases that odds then it's a sucker pin. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

When professional golfers are involved, you have to assume that they have enough information about the course where the vast majority of "bad bounces" can't be considered bad luck.

I'd bet that if you told him before the shot precisely where his ball was going to land, he'd tell you immediately that it was going to end up in the water.

I suppose the only way I'd consider it bad luck is if a huge gust of wind, unlike any came up after he hit it...but that doesn't seem to be what happened.

- John

Note: This thread is 2914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!