IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 hours ago, xcott said:

to be a top level athelete you need to have a significant lack of self-awareness. You have to truly believe against all odds that you are better than everyone else. There is a level of delusion to it and you have to completely believe in it. To your point Fowler seems like the kind of guy who has a lot of self-awareness and is like a normal human being with the requisite doubts and realistic outlook. 

It's called truly being a nice guy, he is a top level golfer/athlete.  To really win at those levels you have to hate to lose with a passion and enjoy beating other people (or maybe it's just me, that I fee that way about that level of play). I just feel at those levels many athletes are relatively equal and its that drive desire and passion which separates the true winners from the rest of the field. the killer instinct. Good post. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Broadcast starts tomorrow morning at 7:30 on FS1 and then on Fox at 11 am (eastern time).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Go Sergio....gonna be a treat watching this unfold over the weekend

as for dilusion, I feel like I am hitting it well enough not to shoot double digits over par at this course.....I BELIEVE 

Edited by BallStriker

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

12 hours ago, xcott said:

am I the only one who thinks that Kucher has an IQ of about 8?

If you wanna rag on Kuchar's intelligence, you gotta at least spell his name right to get full points. :-P  Was there a reason he bugged you today? Seems like a decent (and smart-enough) dude to me.

Couple screenshots I grabbed today at random times I could watch on my computer:

DJ hits out of a hazard after pulling his tee shot left. Nice A6.

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 6.38.51 PM.png

Jason Day getting up and down from here for birdie on a par 5. As I recall the pin was on a thin little peninsula over there with the bulk of the green off to the left (again demonstrating that short game rules! :-D)

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 8.10.54 PM.png

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'm watching it in Qatar on the OSN network,I don't know where the coverage is coming from but almost uninterrupted only a token arab ad every 20 mins or so.Good coverage.

I don't get Holly though.

Holly.jpg

Good to see Oosty up there after bogeying his first 3 holes.

Edited by Scotsclaff

On 6/16/2016 at 9:47 PM, Aguirre said:

Oh sure, but just park the bus and wait. And when they run out of room for those parked buses, force the ones behind us to return to the mall.  There were people who boarded shuttle buses a half hour behind us who literally got onto the grounds an hour ahead of us.

Wow! That sounds like they have a screwed up transit system! Makes we wonder how many sites they have buses coming from. Hope you enjoy Saturday anyway.

8 hours ago, ChrisP said:

There's not many things I like on Fox, but I do like Ken Brown. Seems like a goofy and funny guy and good guy you would love to hang out with and talk to. Hopefully NBC or CBS notices him and picks him up so he gets to cover more events.

I bumped into Ken Brown in a restaurant at Heathrow airport,I was a bit hesitant to approach him but I decided to go ahead and was glad I did.He's very approachable with the right manner,we talked about his co-commentator at the time,Alex Hay,Alex was very unwell at the time and has since died.

Yep,Ken Brown,good egg.

57 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Broadcast starts tomorrow morning at 7:30 on FS1 and then on Fox at 11 am (eastern time).

Well, that just means that the tube will be tuned to Fox at 11AM, I'll go out and do a little yard work, take a break and watch golf, do more yard work, watch more golf, etc! I have a tee time Sunday morning, but we'll be done in plenty of time to watch the finish, and I want the yard work to be finished as well!

10 minutes ago, Scotsclaff said:

I'm watching it in Qatar on the OSN network,I don't know where the coverage is coming from but almost uninterrupted only a token arab ad every 20 mins or so.Good coverage.

I don't get Holly though.

Holly.jpg

Good to see Oosty up there after bogeying his first 3 holes.

Oh, I get Holly just fine! She's easy on the eyes and made more golf savvy comments today than Joe Buck did yesterday! Jeezaloo! That guy just does NOT know golf! However, I will give Fox credit for sticking with the telecast until 9PM tonight, when it was supposed to end at 8.

We'll see what the weekend brings.

On 6/14/2016 at 3:20 PM, nevets88 said:

1 hour ago, Scotsclaff said:

Rosie and Phil will struggle to make the cut.

Bet you anything reasonable that PMick makes the cut.....say a dollar

Edited by BallStriker
  • Upvote 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Cutting it close Rory. 

image.png

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I haven't heard anything about how the USGA plans to get the players out for the third round, but I'm guessing it's going to be threesomes off opposite tees starting around 3:00, and get as many rounds completed as possible before dark?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

9 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I haven't heard anything about how the USGA plans to get the players out for the third round, but I'm guessing it's going to be threesomes off opposite tees starting around 3:00, and get as many rounds completed as possible before dark?

They basically said exactly that on the telecast a few minutes ago. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Pretty amazing that Spieth moved 27 spots up the leaderboard without taking a swing.  Ended his 1st round at #51, starting 2nd round at #24.  Should be a fun yet gut-wrenching day.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

There's that dangerous Oosthuizen again. He did this last year. Was left for dead and then just started sprinting up the leaderboard. He's like a race horse that is 30 lengths back early on in the race and then just catches fire and starts passing everyone.

Ouch. An obvious thought though, given their histories. But don't all winners have a horror story? At least one.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

There are some Englishman who are pompous asses (cough Poulter) and there's some I like. Danny Willett is rounding into my like column. Just seems like a happy go lucky guy with a good sense of humor. Seems like a good guy to talk to and get to know.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!