IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Damn.  At the time I was told it was insider info.

Yah.  REALLY

Golf clap.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here I was, ready to heap praise upon the Fox Network for their extensive coverage of the U.S. Open, when they cut away to broadcast the entirety of one of 4,860 regular season baseball games that will be played this year!

The US Open is our national championship! Is a regular season baseball game between the Cubs and Pirates anywhere near as important? Could they not have joined the game in progress?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm sure that even at Pinehurst, when the leaders and/or big names are on one side of the course, it's really easy to find seats on the other side.  This was certainly true for 2008 at Torrey and I don't think that open was hurting for spectators.

Pretty sure tickets for the Open (that's right, I said it.  If you're confused about which tournament in currently referring to them I don't know what to tell you ;)) sell out completely EVERY YEAR.

You are referring to the Open Championship. Not me.

1 minute ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Here I was, ready to heap praise upon the Fox Network for their extensive coverage of the U.S. Open, when they cut away to broadcast the entirety of one of 4,860 regular season baseball games that will be played this year!

The US Open is our national championship! Is a regular season baseball game between the Cubs and Pirates anywhere near as important? Could they not have joined the game in progress?

You're right, even though I'm a Pirates fan. Since I've been at the course for two of the three days and spent the other working, I haven't seen much of the broadcast.  I assume they've improved?  Because last year was pretty damn bad.

"Witty golf quote."

2 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Some of that is contractual so they might not be able delay broadcast without paying penalties to MLB.  Poor planning on their part to not have a contingency plan in the case the US Open had rain delays and forced rounds to be finished later than anticipated.  

Joe Paradiso

6 minutes ago, CCC said:

You are referring to the Open Championship. Not me.

The paranthetical was not referring to anything you said, it was just me needling anybody out there who felt like taking offense. :P

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

The paranthetical was not referring to anything you said, it was just me needling anybody out there who felt like taking offense. :P

What does "paranthetical" mean? :)

Edited by CCC
:)

1 minute ago, newtogolf said:

Some of that is contractual so they might not be able delay broadcast without paying penalties to MLB.  Poor planning on their part to not have a contingency plan in the case the US Open had rain delays and forced rounds to be finished later than anticipated.  

Exactly! They know what contracts they have. They could easily tell their contractual partners that during US Open week, The Open is priority one. Hey, they can't broadcast major championship golf "under the lights" like baseball now can they!

I can't tell you how much that pissed me off!

And for Aguirre, it's a little better this year, I think. But Joe Buck is still as clueless as ever!

On Fox's coverage: the sound levels are still terrible, but the commentary is better, the tech is better, and they've stopped updating the leaderboard bug before showing the player finish the hole on-screen.

Also, Fox has exclusive broadcast rights to their Saturday "Game of the Week" broadcast window; literally no other channel is allowed to show baseball when a Fox schedules a national broadcast. The network preempted regular broadcasting on Friday as play continued beyond schedule, but there wasn't much they could do about it today.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Wow...

peoole are complaining about the lack of coverage?!?

FS1 came on the air at 8am ET and went off the air at 9pm ET.   If you don't have cable that's your fault, not FOXs or the USGAs.   The amount of coverage has been incredible. 

• Upvote 2

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

1 minute ago, pumaAttack said:

Wow...

FS1 came on the air at 8am ET and went off the air at 9pm ET.   If you don't have cable that's your fault, not FOXs or the USGAs.   The amount of coverage has been incredible. 

Pretty sure they went off air at 8pm eastern.  But yeah, they've had plenty of TV time.  Still, in this era where Fox has multiple platforms, this probably should have been considered.  Fox2 or whatever was airing the Copa America, Fox regular had Pirates v Cubs, but Fox Sports One had like monster truck rally shit going on.

"Witty golf quote."

7 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Pretty sure they went off air at 8pm eastern.  But yeah, they've had plenty of TV time.  Still, in this era where Fox has multiple platforms, this probably should have been considered.  Fox2 or whatever was airing the Copa America, Fox regular had Pirates v Cubs, but Fox Sports One had like monster truck rally shit going on.

No...

Fox Sports 1 had coverage up until they called it for darkness.

Tomorrow morning they are picking back up at 7am ET to show the rest of round 3. 

They also appear to have shot tracer on every shot and show a lot more than just putts.  

FOX has done an amazing job covering this US Open. 

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Okay, I didn't know that. And I'll withhold judgement on them until I get a chance to watch a whole broadcast tomorrow. I swear I saw some kind of pick-up truck driving through mud somewhere on their networks.

I'm pretty critical of sports announcers, but I feel that Joe Buck has received way more flack than he deserves.  Golf is new to him professionally, but I think he's very competent.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure who the hell is even covering this event, outside of Azinger and Strange.  

But I'm wary of Fox. I'm a big soccer fan, and their coverage of the Copa America has been ****ing terrible.  Particularly when compared to ESPN's presentation of the Euros.  

"Witty golf quote."

23 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Wow...

Agree 100%. Probably the most TV  coverage I have ever seen for a Major.:beer:

4 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Okay, I didn't know that. And I'll withhold judgement on them until I get a chance to watch a whole broadcast tomorrow. I swear I saw some kind of pick-up truck driving through mud somewhere on their networks.

I'm pretty critical of sports announcers, but I feel that Joe Buck has received way more flack than he deserves.  Golf is new to him professionally, but I think he's very competent.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure who the hell is even covering this event, outside of Azinger and Strange.  

But I'm wary of Fox. I'm a big soccer fan, and their coverage of the Copa America has been ****ing terrible.  Particularly when compared to ESPN's presentation of the Euros.  

Joe buck is bad, very bad.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!